I stayed home and tried to write a post to Blog Against Theocracy.
I had all sorts of ideas lined up to try and compare the U.S. Constitution to the Christian bible, and republican government to religious rule. I'm not sure how many words I typed and the hours I wasted on this project, but no matter what I wrote, it all seemed to fall flat on its face.
I figured that most of my readers know the difference between the texts -- the Constitution is a flexible document that defines both the rights of individuals and the limits of governmental authority. The Bible is a book that lays out the rules handed down by an omnipotent being, wrapped in tales and parables attesting to both its benevolence and wrath.
Ultimately, what it comes down to is choice.
You may choose to be a part of those who want to subvert the Constitution by having us all submit to an invisible higher authority; the rules of which will be enforced by the most pious among them as chosen by their omnipotent one.
In this paradigm, there is no arguing the perfection of divine rule. The omnipotent one knows best. You don't need to see him, you just need to place your faith is his existence, and abide by the rules. "Trust me," he says, "or I will fucking smite you."
Check out this website and you'll know what I mean.
The Society for the Practical Establishment and Perpetuation of the Ten Commandments
Or, you may choose to join groups that help ensure the preservation of those rights, privileges and freedoms (including the freedom to worship the deity or deities of your choosing) written into the very imperfect Constitution of the United States of America. The intent of the framers is very clear about its imperfection and its inherent modesty is something to be admired. This is why we have an Article specifically outlining the revision process and amendments that prove the process works.
People like Barry Lynn of the Americans United for Separation of Church and State do a great job of protecting those constitutional freedoms. So does the American Civil Liberties Union. But, ultimately, none of this would really be possible were it not for those who've made the supreme sacrifice. If you have time, take a moment to honor a veteran. The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America is a great place to start.
I also want to say thanks to all those who have stopped by to read this blog. I have decided to take an indefinite hiatus from writing on My Saturday Evening Post . Between playing music and just wanting to give my brain a well-deserved breather, I just feel the need to take a long break.
Again, thanks everyone.
Sorry to hear you are getting out of the blogging business - but glad I'll see you on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteGreat last post if it is really your last post. I still have to do my Blog Against Theocracy - have been too tired from Easter weekend to think about it so I'm late!
I came by for a visit and was surprised (well, maybe not too) you're giving up the blog but I can understand. They have a way of using up more time than one may be willing to give as I've considered myself from time to time. Jonestown was great, Invisible Woman was great and now Saturday Evening Post has been added to my list of late great. All the best.
ReplyDelete..and thanks for a terrific post against Theocracy. You're leaving in style.
well we will just have to hit the Old Towne Tavern
ReplyDeleteTake as much time as you need. We will be here. And what DCap said.
ReplyDeleteFine, enjoy this so-called "real life," ya lazy bum. ;-)
ReplyDeleteDon't be a stranger or I'll fucking smite you. Remember, I have vast commissioner powers.
Don't give up the blog. What are you crazy?
ReplyDeleteThanks MG. But please no sorries. This is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteSusan - Thanks. There's more to my reasons for doing this. I think you know why. I just can't be out here anymore. Thanks also for the comparison to Jonestown and Invisible Woman. I'm honored.
DCap - Yeah, we do. But does dropping my blog expel me from the NY Blogger's Club?
GMB - Please join us when we go. The Old Towne Tavern is a big place. If not, I'll scootch over to give you a spot at the bar. What are you drinking?
Randal - Please... no more smiting. I promise, I'll stop by and co-miserate with you when the Cavs lose in the Eastern semis to the Celtics, and I'll exhalt with you when the Indians pound CC Sabathia at The Jake.
Liz - No. Not crazy. Just determined. It has to be done. Ya know? Lift and separate? It's the only way.
okee doke...... a dudes gotta do what a dudes gonna do.....
ReplyDeletebut if ya go to the Old Towne Tavern without me...... have one for me.
... and even if you don't HAVE a blog ya wanna write on.... sure shouldn't stop you from being snarky on other folks blogs. Worked for me!
So don't go away, or if you go away, come back soon.
Okie dokie Jimmy. I'll toast a pint or two to you.. depends on how bad my day went. How bad my day goes is directly proportional to the amount of beer I consume.
ReplyDeleteAs for stopping by the blogs, I'm sure I'll get around to doing some of that. But it's time to retreat back to my Fortress of Solitude and have a chat with Jor-El.
there's a lot of blog break taking going on
ReplyDeleteblogging, like life, is fluid
I'll miss ya though, you always make me feel like I'm not crazy ;)
maybe we'll get to meet someday - I'll bring denim flip-flops for the wifey :)
I'd like to second what susan said. This is a great post - you are definitely going out with style.
ReplyDeleteIt's a tavern, so beer it is.
ReplyDeleteDianne - "crazy" is sometimes like a road with no sign posts or mile markers. I'm glad I've been able to be one of those for you. I hope can meet, too. If you're ever plan on coming to Long Island, shoot me an email. I'm sure Skippy would love a pair of denim flip-flops.
ReplyDeleteAnon - I guess with your second, the motion carries? ;^) Thanks for stopping by.
gmb - Since this was DCap's idea, we'll let him set the date and time.. I'll pick up the tab if you guys will let me.
shit!!! Someone else offers to buy beer....ana I can't make it.....!!!?? There is NO GOD!!
ReplyDeleteTimes are tough, Jimmy. Otherwise, we'd all pitch in for a round-trip ticket so you can grace us with your company.
ReplyDeleteI have declared today “National Say “Hello” Day!
ReplyDeleteHello!!!!!!
ps. it was really yesterday.... but I sorta ran out time. Thought I would do it again today......
and boy.... you got that tough times thing right!!!!!
Wow! A gal takes a small break from reading some of her favorite blogs and when she comes back she gets sad news. I certainly understand you needing a break, though. And this one, Blog Against Theocracy, is a great way to go out.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your vacation!
Happy Mother's Day to Skippy. I hope you're all treating her well today :-)
ReplyDelete