Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

Today is St. Patrick's Get Stupid Drunk Day.

I call it so because this date has long been used by chronic, serial binge drinkers as an excuse to consume such excessive amounts of booze as to qualify themselves as human distilleries. They ride the train with me at night causing all kinds of mayhem in their drunken states. They're loud. They start fights. Some even puke when they can't hold their liquor. And don't get me started about what happens after the train ride. Many of these morons drive home. Enough said.

In all fairness, I don't mean to paint all St. Patricks's Day celebrants with the same brush. There are many Irish and people of Irish descent who see this day as an opportunity to acknowledge and educate others about their wonderful culture. I love the Irish. I do. And I see no problem in washing down a corned beef and cabbage dinner with a pint or two. In fact, I may have one myself tonight when I get home.

I must also disclose that as an American of Puerto Rican descent, we are not immune to the stupidity of drunken celebration. I lose it when I see my fellow boricuas become borrachines during the Puerto Rican Day parades, usually held here in May. But whether you're speaking of Puerto Ricans or Irish, drinking heavily mocks the cultural significance of the day and reinforces hurtful stereotypes.


Typically, the St. Patrick's Day imbibers I've had run ins with on the train are white, wealthy suburbanites who skew politically towards conservative Republican positions. I'm making generalizations, I know. But this assertion comes from years of empirical observation. It's also fair to ask me how I know this. Look, these are my neighbors. I know them. They talk. I listen. I seethe silently. I see no point in debating them on moral or political issues. They're faithful.

They'll tell you they support denying Irish gay men and women the right to identify themselves as such at the annual parades. "Why draw attention to yourself that way?" they argue. Drawing attention to oneself is not the Irish way, after all, especially when it runs afoul of the moral sensibilities of the diocesan Cardinal who blesses participants as they pass St. Patrick's Catherdral on 5th Avenue. Yet, I've witnessed many of these same folks publicly dive into such depths of sloth, debauchery, and immorality that would make even the most sinful of Popes blush.

I digress. There was a time when this was a cheerful day for me. Despite this date being my niece Megan's birthday, it also holds sad memories. It was on this date in 1984 that my sister lost her infant son to crib death. I know I ought not care about the drunken morons; the packs of whom I'll wade through as I make my way to my train out of Pennsylvania Station. I have more pressing and immediate concerns.

But my point in writing this rant is to ask a favor. Please celebrate wisely and show some respect for the rich Irish culture. Go ahead and raise your pints of Guiness Stout or Jamesons on the rocks and be proud if you are of Irish descent and revel in their joy if you are not.

Please save a slice of Irish soda bread for me and, by all means, don't be this person.

Slán agus beannacht leat



18 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your sister's baby.

    I agree, St. Patrick's Day itself is best left to the amateurs that are out there. I'd be willing to bet the majority of them who are out there carousing aren't even Irish, just people looking for an excuse to party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know I am proud of my Irish heritage as you are proud of your Puerto Rican heritage. I agree that for many this day is just another excuse to get sloppy drunk. Now, lets go have a pint at fanelli's or should I call it O'Fanelli's today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine who was a Manhattan DA said that the cops hated to cover the St. Patrick's Day and Puerto Rican Day parades because people would get drunk, there would be fights and cops would get hurt (because a drunk throwing a punch isn't exactly careful). Interestingly, they loved covering the Pride Parade. Why? Not much drinking, no fights and they got double time since it is on a Sunday. That and the drag queens who squeal over a man in uniform, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Spartacus, I forgot to add that your lovely bride should be taken out to enjoy a pint at O'Fanelli's. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A March holiday I'd never heard of until I moved to RI, St. Joseph's Day comes the day after tomorrow. It's largely devoted to eating which generally means no troublemakers and I'll always remember the North Providence Italian bakeries for the wonderful zeppoles they baked just once a year.

    I hope you're both enjoying dinner at O'Fanelli's . Don't forget the zeppoles on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice parallel between the St Patrick's and Puerto Rican parades. It's that way in CHicago too.

    one thing I've noticed--there is a BIG difference between Irish people I've met in Ireland, and Irish Americans that are a few generations removed from immigration. Irish Americans are way more conservative than our Irish relatives I think. We're not noted much for our tolerance either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I hate parades, because I have a built-in reason to avoid such drunken lunacy. And it seems to get worse all the time. I'm pro-spirits, but look, don't be a wanker with the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. when I worked in Manhattan I despised St Paddy Day - getting to the bus stop was running a gauntlet of drunken asshats.

    I know the hypocrites you speak of - I live with them as well - suburban sloth thinkers

    and good Lord! don't get me started on the Catholic Church ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MG...thanks for your thoughts on my nephew. They made me wonder how I'd view this day had he lived to see it.

    Skip... too bad the bartender at (O') Fanelli's that night really sucked. No wonder the bar wasn't that crowded.

    PiNYC...Ha ha.. I'm wondering if the cops liked the Pride parade for the sheer spectacle of it. Those drag queens can be quite imaginative in their get ups. I know I would loved that assignment if I were on the job.

    Susan... once in your life, you need to come to NYC to experience one of their street fairs. They happen in all corners of the city and the suburbs in Spring, Summer and Autumn. And where ever there's a street fair, there's bound to be a vendor hawking the greasy deliciousness of zeppoles. But you'll never see them sold anywhere on St. Patrick's Day.

    Bubs... thanks for the compliment. Sometimes I wish those Irish removed a few generations from immigration could go back in time and see how liberal their ancestors were; how they pulled together during the hard times to make better lives for their children and grandchildren, and how tolerant they were of others misfortunes.

    Randal.. The NYC parade can be pretty cool to watch. I have a thing for bagpipe music. I do. But I hear you about the drunkards. I try to take March 17 off most days, but this year I've been too busy at work.

    Dianne... you know of which I speak. However, wasn't it just easier to take the day off if it fell on weekday? Like I told Randal, usually I would, were it not for the fact that I've been really busy at work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spartacus: The cops like to act like they been there, done that, but when a particularly fabulous drag queen runs towards them...they dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha... so true PiNYC.. so true

    ReplyDelete
  12. Recent St Patrick's Days have been relatively tame. The worst part is probably yahoos coming to Manhattan to get a big load on, then puking all over Midtown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sinful Popes...classic. My experience has been over top, kids drinkin, people beating up cops. This year all the bars were closed at 6:30. They were actually embarassed by all the attention last year. Six hospitalized officers of the law. Every guy that participated was acquitted.
    St. Patty's in Utica The City where we punch first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah well, I'd love to spend some time there going to street fairs and perhaps some day I'll be able to with you guys to show us around. I've already done the Whitney and Moma. I even complained about the gray napkins given with hot dogs on the Staten Island ferry dock.. much to the embarrassment of those I was with.

    Anyway, I wasn't going to do this but it appears you're lying low so I'll just tell you I left a tag for you to tell 6 random things about you because we need to know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, they've really got you earning your paycheck, those crooks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen!! Couldn't have said it better....I will celebrate with my corned beef & cabbage and a pint of ale...And let us not forget the SAINT that this holiday is all about....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your post but may i know why u changed the name to Stupid Drunk Day?

    Domain registration india

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...