How bad was this weekend? It took me more than three days to write about it; that's how bad.
Let's just say that if this were a typical, Monday morning conversation between two friends in New York, it would start with the wave if a hand followed by the statement, "Bah, you don't want to know." Then that person would proceed to recount the events in chronological then non-linear order.
Really it was that bad.Okay, so here's the wave...
And now for the agita.
The chronological summary goes something like this. Friday: 13 and his friend leave their school bags in the Lindenhurst Youth Center which closed early for the whole weekend. Saturday: 13 has a meltdown over a prank gone wrong while playing baseball with his friends; 13 lost his palette expander; The last post I wrote at Jonestown stirred a bruising flame war in comments. Sunday: I smashed my Jeep into the Lindenhurst Youth Center van.
And to think, the weekend has started quite well for me. I was in the City on Friday night jamming with JaNamo and Joe. My cousin Louie and his girlfriend were in town from Minneapolis for an education conference/seminar. When I got the call from E. that Sean had left his bag, I was pretty calm and told him that we would get the bags back on Sunday. (queue the ominous forshadowing music.)
It just got worse. The next day a battle royale broke out on ball fields of Lindenhurst. Our dear 13 got into a scrum with one of his best friends, Matt, after a prank went awry. 13's test of the hypothesis that friends won't get mad if you toss their mitt onto the backstop went horribly wrong. One thrown bottle of Gatorade later, followed on by a few thrown punches, and a blind-side tackle, found me pleading with 13's pubescent sensibilities to let his anger go; that the friendships he's building now will probably be the most important in his life. He's known the kids he runs with since kindergarten. "Why ruin a good thing?" I asked.

He bit. Reason prevailed. Apologies were delivered. Hands were shaken. All that was left to do was to find a quill pen and a parchment for the peace treaty signatures. When it was over, I smiled at Matt's mom in that he's-really-not-my-son sort of way. But not long after he was back in the good graces of his peeps , he fell back onto my shit list by losing his palette expander. I'm not sure why their needed for braces, but at $275 a pop to replace them, you can be damn sure they're important. So, important that I cajoled the manager at the McDonald's on Sunrise Highway and N. Monroe Avenue to let me sift through his garbage. Seven bags and lots of fast-food gunk later, I gave up.
But that's not all. Some of you had ring side seats for a bonafide flame war between one of my best blogger friends Kelso and the Progressive Traditionalist over a post I wrote over at Jonestown. Thankfully, another blogger friend of mine, David B. Dancy mediated the conflict.
Again, reason prevailed. Apologies were delivered. Hands were shaken. A tacit agreement to disagree was reached. Peace reigned in Jonestown until the next provocateur posted anew.
I was happy again. So happy in fact that as I was tooling down E. Gates Avenue on my way to the village library, I decided to stop over at the Youth Center to see if anyone was home. I parked my ride in front of the town's van and jumped out to bang on the door. Someone was there! Awesome. I picked up the bags, threw them in the truck and called Sean to tell him the good news. Right after I hung up, I started the truck, put it in reverse and backed up without looking, forgetting that the van was behind me...

POW!!!!
I probably could have drove away from it since the only significant damage to my car was a busted tail light assembly, which I replaced myself. But had it not been for 13, I'd of never had gotten into the accident. It was my second fender bender in two months. Can you just smell the rate increase coming? But I did the right thing. I told the guy in the Youth Center about the accident, who contacted his boss, who called me to settle the matter the next day. I could have walked away virtually scot-free were it not for my own conscience.
13's response was classic. When I told him that technically he's responsible for the damage, he did his best Cheney impersonation, "So?"
Okay, someone tell me. Is this not the face only a mother could love? Because after this weekend, his mother was the only one that did.
I'm so out of it I didn't even realize what I was reading at Jonestown was a genuine flame war btween kelso and pt. I thought it was just a little misunderstanding so far as semantics were concerned.. but then again. I'm glad dancy stepped in.
ReplyDeleteYour story about 13 and his baseball game reminded me of Bob Ueker talking about his son at a little league game: "He struck out three times and lost the game for the team when a ball went through his legs at third base. Parents were throwing things at our car and swearing at us as we left the parking lot. Gosh, I was proud. A chip off the old block."
and speaking of your other problems maybe Mickey Rivers had the best advice: "I don't get upset over things I can't control, because if I can't control them there's no use getting upset. And I don't get upset over the things I can control, because if I can control them there's no use in getting upset."
Ugh, that sounds like it sucked. And I know few 13 year old boys who are loved by anyone other than their mothers.
ReplyDeleteSusan - Love the anecdotes, especially the Mickey Rivers ones. He was one of my favorite players when I was a kid growing up in NYC -- even though I am a Mets fan. I remember reading about these quotes and thought to myself -- he has to be related to Yogi Berra in someway.
ReplyDeleteCDP - He is a lovable kid. But he's 13. His knuckleheadedness is a function of his age.
Yikes. Quite the weekend, and not in the happy fun candy way. As for age-related knuckleheadedness, how does one explain wingnuttery between, say, thirty and retirement? Ha.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus,
ReplyDelete13 was definitely not my list of favorite people this weekend. That being said, I still do love his curls.
RG - Yikes is right. As far as wingnuttery, I have no explanation other than this -- if they're 30 and holding on to their wingnuttery, then it's likely that they're still living at home with mom and dad. It's the only explanation I have for their smug sense of entitlement.
ReplyDeleteE. -- You and those friggin curls. If that's what it takes to keep our sanity about him, then so be it. But admit it, that pic I posted is classic 13, no?
You know... my son has that same Ramones shirt. I think it's the shirt.
ReplyDeleteI hope this week is better for you.
An interesting part of living in RI was that we got to watch home team tv broadcasts of the Red Sox and the Yankees. Phil Rizzutto was totally amazing and there is no better book of quotes than his but Mickey Rivers was fun too. He was laid back to the point of torpor but he could snap into action incredibly fast when he had to.
ReplyDeleteWe have the Ramones official frisbee of that design hanging on a door in our livingroom. 'I don't wanna be a pinhead no more..'
At least he had a Ramones shirt on.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. And I'm afraid he's still loveable even though the face is enough to drive you right off a cliff. They're built that way for a reason (loveable, so you don't drive off the cliff).
ReplyDeleteReminds me of a Boy I used to know.
ReplyDeleteLil sis :)
Being a teenager sucks sometimes. Guess we have to remember that. Of course it is easier for me since I'm an aunt (the cool aunt, at that). My hat off to you parents of teenagers. Going through my teenage years wasn't fabulous, having to relive it...oi.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the curls too. He's a handsome boy.
CDP - Sorry I missed you in my first round of comment replies. But, yes, there are few 13s that are loved by someone other than their mothers, but that was last weekend. This weekend? I'll let you know Monday.
ReplyDeleteFreida - Please don't blame it on The Ramones t-shirt. That band may not have played more than 4 chords in any song, but I can't tell you how many times I sang "Rockaway Beach" at the top of my lungs aboard the "A" train as it crossed over Jamaica Bay in full view of JFK Airport. You and I both know that 13's angst is a function of his age.
Susan - ha ha. Forgot about The Scooter. He used to say the wackiest stuff, too. However, Bill White's dead pan reactions are what made them priceless.
Wyld - This is a dated pic. He wasn't wearing the shirt when he had his meltdown. I almost wish he did.
Alecto - No need to be sorry. He's 13 and you know something about having 13s. You empathy is appreciated.
Ms. 'Cosa - I can't imagine who you're talking about.
gmb - Ah...so you're the cool aunt. You want to be 13s cool aunt for a while. Let me know. I'll even throw in the shipping cost. (Again with the friggin curls...they're cute though... loveable even.)
Excellent last line.
ReplyDeleteoh boy
ReplyDeletenow i have to take you for that drink (this week got a bit hairy at work)
next week is much better
sorry, I should have mentioned White. happy memories :-)
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: He can hang with me and my moody 15 year old nephew. Interestingly, my nephew thinks I'm the cool aunt, my nieces....not so sure.
ReplyDelete