Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oliver!

This weekend some of my friends in our corner of blogovia dealt with a sociopath of President in midst. Some dealt with tornadoes near their home. A huge crane fell in Manhattan. JPMorgan purchased Bear Stearns for $2 a share and some of us just aren't feeling well physically.

But this business of life must go on. And so it did. This afternoon, I was treated to the final performance of the St. John The Baptist High School production of "Oliver!"

Rickdickulus opened the show with his fellow orphans with a great rendition of "Food Glorious Food", while The Eldest played a Londoner in several scenes where she sang "Consider Yourself", "It's a Fine Life" "Who Will Buy" and "Oom Pah Pah."

Anyone who knows the musical, knows that these are bit parts. But as Milan Kundera once quipped: "There are no small parts. Only small actors."

And so it was with my two Thespians. They played there parts flawlessly; as good as any seen on Broadway. But what do I know? I'm unabashedly biased.

Here are some shots of my kids with their cast mates. Thanks, once again, for allowing me this indulgence. In the face of so much bad shit going on in the world, I'd thought I'd chime in with something good.



My Londoner and Orphan Rick. (For this photo, Rick decided he wanted to stay in character.)











Here's Rick with Mr. Sowerberry.










The Eldest (center) with two of her high school chums -- Widow Corney (left) and a member of Fagin's Gang (right).










Finally, here's Rick with every orphan's on-stage nemesis, Mr. Bumble, The Beadle.

10 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos. You have beautiful kids. Ridikulus looks a lot like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CDP, gmb - thanks! Much appreciated. They worked really hard to make this a success, and I have to say, even though I'm partial, it was an outstanding show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, Spartacus. Great pics too.

    Great memories for me too. I was in Chaminade's version of the play in the 70's in the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proof positive there is still some good shit going on. As long as we don't look for it in politics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz - Wow! It's been a while, no? Thanks for stopping by. It was such a wonderful performance. I am so proud of them.

    RG - I agree. There's alot of good shit going on, but it's so hard to ignore the bad shit, especially when it threatens the good shit we desire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you had a good time!
    Your Kids are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DCap - I am lucky...

    IB, it was a great show, but wonderful kids? Yeah. I suppose. But ask me again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spartacus, I didn't realize that you were blogging regularly. I'm so glad you are. Now I will stop here regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...