Were I a sparrow
Feathers brown and black
Speeding through air
Or pecking in a sidewalk crack
For a solitary crumb --
Could I survive?
Could I last a year --
Darting 'tween large oaks
Or perching on maple branches
Taking reckless chances
Scanning grassy knolls
For in-season cicadas?
Life beyond my mother's shell
Is so awfully swell.
Why should I give up on forty years
Of this perfectly comfortable hell?
I'm well-fed, skin-covered
Wingless, but ably bi-pedaled.
Why should I meddle
With this utterly grounded existence?
I'll tell you why!
Just for the chance to fly!
2004
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
I love this! (But I always love your poems)
ReplyDeletegreat poem! More please!
ReplyDeleteLovely!
ReplyDeleteCDP/IB/Suzi Riot - Thanks! I'll try and post more as I get to them.
ReplyDeleteYes, definitely post more!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME! You really spoke to my soul on this one. I'd be a turkey vulture for the chance to fly.
ReplyDeleteRG - I'll work on getting more poetry posted
ReplyDeleteDGuz - A turkey vulture?? Please explain that one. I'm intrigued.