Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Sweet 16

DSC00593 My little girl, Erin, turned 16 today.

Someone needs to explain to me why this birthday is so special for girls. In my culture, the big birthday is 15 (la Quinceañera). You guys can answer that question in comments. I know it's a big one.



Neil's right. She's not a baby anymore. She is quite the young woman with hopes and dreams and pie-in-the-sky ideas that just may come true. I hope she realizes all of them. When she was just learning how to speak, I taught her a little mantra that seems to have stuck. I would ask her to repeat after me.

"I'm smart. I'm intelligent. I can be whatever I want."

Every now and then, she also reminds me of the song we wrote together called "Glue and Tape." It's about literally using glue and tape to fix anything from a broken lamp to broken limbs. She's the lyricist on this one...Go ahead and try it...

If you have a broken (insert object)
Whaddaya do?
Ya get some tape
And ya get some glue
Ya get yer (insert mom or dad)
To help you out
And that's what it's all about

These days, we don't get to hang together much. She's a full-fledged, all-about-me teenager. I could not be happier. She is a member of the National Tri-M (Music) Honor Society. She's made the academic honor roll at her high school this year. She's already getting letters from college because she kicked ass on her PSATs. And soon she'll be taking the written exam to get her learner's driving permit. I'm so proud of her.

But I would be remiss if I did not switch gears and mention her uncle George in this post. Today is also George's birthday. He would have been 52. He is no longer with us, having passed away in 1997 after losing his battle with AIDS. But he lives on in Erin. I swear it.

You see it was George who gave us the idea for Erin's name, forever linking uncle and niece together. As I recall, E. and I were at my brother Ralph's wedding in August 1991, when we told George she was pregnant. No one was more excited than George; so excited, in fact, that he told us flat out, "It's going to be a girl." Then he told us what we should name her.

E: Well, we like the name Emily as a first name and Margaret as the second.

George: Oh that's pretty. But it's not Irish enough. E. you're Irish. Don't you want her to have an Irish first name? How about Erin?

The name stuck.

In fact, it's uncanny how Erin and George are so much alike. She is a gregarious and kind-hearted soul who can be a bit flighty at times. She loves to play with kids and has an impeccable sense of style. I'll bet she'd like The Stylistics, too if I played them for her. She also thinks she's a princess.

I really don't like to dredge up old posts, but here's a poem I put out here a while back for George. I'd thought I'd resurrect it today to honor his memory.

Fairy Princess

I’m flying back to when
We cowered ‘neath our blankets
In advent of your morning arrival;
To our housing-green room,
When your linen bedsheet gown
And knee-high tubes socks announced,
“I’m the Fairy Princess. LA!!!!”

How naive we were to think
That our concealments
Would not reveal our secret location.
But you, dear fairy princess
Knew too well the happy sounds
Of muffled shrieks and giggles
And raised your wood-spoon wand anyway!

“LA!!! You are a mangy cat!
And, LA!, you are an ugly toad!
And if you tell mom or pop
I’ll turn you both to unmovable stones,
When you least expect it”,
You deliver in a sinister shrill
As only our Fairy Princess can.

But your threats were idle
And all your magic useless
To the power of Margie’s mind.
“A toad?” we say,
“We’ll give you warts!”
“A mangy cat, huh?”
Xing! Xing! “Fear my claws!”

Sadly, the day came when
The spoon lost its magic;
When the childhood disease of
Compounding days and years
Dragged us to another realm
Away from your magnificent spells,
Into a cubicle of boring responsibility.

In that grown-up confinement
Of living, dying, and taxes
There is nary a shock nor temblor
Nor the sparkle of pixied illusion
To provide us with happy diversions
From all that is
In our mundane, work-a-day world.

Will you join me stranger?
Come and see my housing-green hideaway,
Where my dear Fairy Princess
Still waves his wood spoon
In flowing linen robes
And knee-high tube socks.
You just may become something else.


Happy birthday Erin and George. I love you both so much!

21 comments:

  1. As usual, I'm a day late but please wish your sweet daughter a very happy birthday from me.

    She's a lucky young lady to have you for a father. I'm sure of that.

    My 16th birthday was big time for me because I was pretty sure I was all grown up. That proved not to be true but it was fun to think at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good pop, your kids are certainly reflecting that now, and they will as adults, no doubt about it.

    As for the importance of sixteen, our oldest will be turning that this year, but she's not real big on birthdays, so I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart is so moved by this post for Erin - feliz compleanos Erin!

    And also for the memory of George that burns brightly.

    I remember when we first met and you told me about him and you shared the name story and so forth.

    Thank you for posting the Fairy Princess again.

    Paz para ti mi amigo, paz para todos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PoP - Too late? Hardly. I will wish her a happy birthday for you. But as far as being lucky, I'm the lucky one in this relationship.

    RG - Ya know, maybe I need to let them tell how much of an SOB I can be. I can be really hard on them at times. But I try not to skimp on the love.

    Fran - I'm so glad you remembered the story. You're right. It burns brightly and I'm reminded of George every time I see Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buon compleanno Erin.
    Spart. Your girl is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. When my girl turned sixteen she/I/We(?) felt like she had some sort of freedom or safety (but my girl had a rough beginning) - so maybe it's a marker of sorts that says I am old enough to be a young woman of consequence and choice and I still need my mommy (insert both parents if it works). Happy Birthday to Erin! (Poor Cletus failed her driving test today!)

    On George and this:

    "Sadly, the day came when
    The spoon lost its magic;
    When the childhood disease of
    Compounding days and years
    Dragged us to another realm
    Away from your magnificent spells,
    Into a cubicle of boring responsibility."

    Oh, this, just takes my breath away, sends shivers down my spine and makes me wish to pull back the compounding layers, one after the other, until it is all bright and new again. Thank you for that, I needed it. And a big thanks to George.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spartacus,
    Erin is indeed an amazing and beautiful young lady. I know that George is watching over her and would be just as proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IB...grazie!

    Alecto, you and me both. There's not a day I don't wish he could be here to cast his spell over me.

    E., our baby's growing up, no? Well, take a bow, she is your masterpiece, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gees, Whatta nice post!

    Everyman loves his son......oooooh....but his daughter.....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photo of you and Erin. So, have you scared the crap out of her boyfriend(s) yet? And thanks for the lovely tribute to your brother. I lost my favorite uncle to AIDS in 1987. Four years ago my cousin said that if she had a boy, she would name him after our uncle. Now all of the men in her husband's family had girls--no boys. And normally I wouldn't care if a family member was having a boy or a girl, but I was hoping that it would be a boy. And it was. My uncle lives through his nephew Francesco. Happy Birthday Erin and George.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okjimm - You're right. She is the apple of my eye.

    gmb - Thanks. I haven't scared any of her boyfriends because she hasn't given me the opportunity. But all the same, I really have no desire to that because I worry that I might be taking control over decisions that she need to make herself. In the end, all I have for her is love and advice. As for my brother George, I hope that it conveyed how special he was. It's what makes March 26th such a bittersweet day for me because Erin and George have so much in common, it's scary. I'll leave you with this line from a song I wrote.

    I see you in my daughter's eyes
    She smiles at me
    You come to life
    There you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post, and a beautiful girl. Sorry I'm late, but best wishes to Erin! (I also shared a birthday with a now-dead uncle, and we were very close.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how you feel, Spartacus. My uncle was one of those people that everyone remembered. Really funny, and so bright. I will always miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful picture of you and the lovely Erin. You have every right to be very proud and I'm sure too that George is watching over her - wooden spoon and all.

    Beautiful poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. always late to the party i am!

    HBD erin and what a great tribute to george

    you know he is watching out for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CDP, susan - thank you so much. Erin gives me something to brag about. (Welcome back CDP!!!)

    gmb - the funny thing about me missing my brother is that the more I look around particularly in Erin), the more I see where his spirit still lives. Understand that I am atheist and I don't believe in ghosts or anything like that, but he left us a legacy of love and understanding that I can't but think he's living inside me and everyone else whose lives he touched.

    DCap - Better late than never my friend. I will pass along your belated birthday wishes to Erin. As for the tribute to George, thanks. He's one of those people I wish everyone I know could meet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spartacus: It's in the genes. My nephew acts and looks more like me than his parents. I look more like my aunt. And I shared a sensitivity to places that my uncle had (but, apparently, no one else). Nice to know, yes? You really will live on in your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Wyld!

    gmb - it is nice to know. All the same, I'm so glad she's more like my brother George than like me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to your lovely daughter Erin, and hugs to your Brother up in Heaven!

    What a remarkable and wonderful coincidence for you all!

    Oh, and Neil Sedaka wrote some of the greatest pop songs of his day, so thanks for sharing that as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. CR - Thanks for the well-wishes. I've passed them on to Erin and George who both smiled when they heard of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...