Monday, March 31, 2008

And Then He Kissed Me...

Last Thursday, one my favorite bloggers in the 'sphere, The Cunning Runt, posted this brief message to homophobes, aiming his invective at The Tonight Show host, Jay Leno.

Well, as good posts do, it got me thinking about a "homophobic" experience I had way back in the Fall of 1981. I was at a party that my brother and his roommate were throwing at their place on 12th Street and Avenue A in New York City. I was out of my depth at this shindig because I was probably the only 18-year old in the room. These were mostly my brother Joe's friends, which means they were all 5 to 7 years older than me.

So there I was having the time of my life with all these "grown up" folks. I floated around in a bunch of different conversations on my way to and from the beer cooler and hors d'oeuvre table. Eventually, I ended up talking to this one guy who seemed pretty cool. As I recall, we talked about alot of things of interest to us, including music. I was really into The Beatles at the time. I became a huge fan and took up the guitar largely because of the murder of John Lennon.

Ask Señoracosa about this. I was awful. Not that I'm any good now, but back then, it took a great degree of patience and a great tolerance for pain to listen to me butcher John Lennon's "Imagine". I think it sounded something like this --



La Señora sat through more of my performances than she cared to remember. It was her encouragement that gave me the courage to play a song for the guy I was talking to.

But as I put the guitar down and looked at my friend for a reaction to the song I played, he grabbed me by the face and kissed me.

My reaction to the kiss was as immediate as it was tense. I remember thinking that I wanted to kill that motherfucker and it took my brother and a few of his friends to restrain me from getting at him. I was born in Manhattan, but was very much the homophobic Queens boy (save the snark for later). Guys just didn't do that kind of shit to each other where I came from. No fucking way.

Eventually, I ended up out on the street. Joe had walked out with me along with my brother George. Did I mention that my brother George was at the party, too? He was. But he was no where near me when the kiss went down. He was having way too much fun to care about what was going on. But as Joe bodily pinned me against a parked car, to keep me from running back inside to kick the kisser's ass, it was George who set me straight.

Yes, that George; the one I describe in the Fairy Princess. For the record, he was very out about his homosexuality, which many people found intimidating and scary. As a little kid, I didn't know any better and enjoyed his antics in a linen sheet. As a teenager, not so much. In fact, while I never disavowed that George was my brother, I tried really hard to keep separate his world from mine back then.

But on that one Autumn night in 1981, our worlds collided and mine was forever changed. The first thing George said to me was to cut out the macho, Queens bullshit. It's an act that doesn't play well in Manhattan and if I persisted in my behavior, he would have personally escorted me to the "A" train back to Lefferts Boulevard.

I protested because I felt that I was the aggrieved. After all, I was just hanging out, trying to have a good time, and some guy I was talking to kisses me.

That's when George clued me in on a very "adult" understanding of homosexuality. He let me know regardless of whether one is gay or straight, if you pay enough attention that person at a party, that person will find you attractive.

This was all news to me. And as George rattled on about what an ass I'd been at the party, I realized I had no idea how naive I'd been about people in general let alone the gay community.

Gay men have feelings? Who knew? Gay men like to get laid? What? Gay men make inadvertent assumptions about sexual orientation? Whoa.

I can help but think back at how fortunate I was to have experienced the whole event. Yes, it was very 'icky" moment for me to have been kissed by another man, and I imagine that it would still be now...

unless, of course, it was this man doing the kissing.










But still I am not a gay man, and man-crushes notwithstanding, I never will be a gay man.

What's more is that I have no issue with or resentment for anyone's sexual orientation because I am comfortable living in this skin as a heterosexual.

In a world where there is so much more to fear, like war, disease, and climate change, the least of my worries is a gay man who inadvertently makes a pass at me. Sadly, there are too many people -- particularly people in positions of power -- who seem to think that homosexuality is something to be cured or eradicated. Sadly, there are people like Jay Leno who use poor humor as a weapon to demonize and demoralize the gay community.

Sadly, there are way too many people like me whose misunderstanding and lack of compassion pushes them to abject violence against gay men and women. Again, I consider myself fortunate because someone stepped in and prevented me from hitting the kisser, pointing me instead to better way of dealing with this type of situation.

So, thanks Cunning Runt for reminding me of this moment in my personal history, and for reinforcing the lesson that the measure of a person is not only defined by his or her accomplishments, but also by how well or poorly that person engages the wider world around. Let's face it. Anyone can be a dick regardless of their sexual orientation. On that fateful night in the Fall of 1981, that dick was me.

26 comments:

  1. Wow- what a story! Amazing.

    This is such an interesting and intense slice of life from you. Now of course, I know you and I know the "types" (not gay- the NYC elements, but ok I spent more than my share of time with gay men and in that neighborhood to boot!) so I can really get a sense of this night.

    Oh Spartacus, you are really something. Thank you for sharing that.

    As for Adrian- you'll have to fight me for that one. Claro?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your honesty and sincerity in this post is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and it reminds me of Fran's friend Grandmere Mimi, who was so honest about her former homophobia and how she had such a change of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What POP said. It's hard as hell enough to come to grips with something we don't/didn't dig about ourselves, only talking about it to the mirror, let alone to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cut yourself a break. You were young and he could have asked you if you were gay first. That said, it's good to remember that he thought you were attractive. Nice to be complimented (even if the form of compliment could have been a bit more subtle).

    Must add this: I invited my friend David to xmas dinner many years ago. He had a fun time eating too much Italian food. A day or so later we spoke and he said "you never told me how adorable your brother is." Well, my brother is a flaming heterosexual, and David knew that, but still, he thought my brother was very cute. So I mentioned David's comment to my brother. He stopped me and called for his wife. Then he told me to repeat what I said, pointed his finger to my sister-in-law and said "and you know, gay men have much stricter standards than women." You see, my brother had gained some sympathy weight when my sister-in-law was pregnant, and she had mentioned it earlier that day. After he heard David's comment, my brother walked around the house like he had a million dollar ass. He wasn't threatened at all--he was flattered. Great response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Your brother was a wonderful and wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran - Put up your dukes sweetie.

    PoP/RG - Thanks. But this was not as difficult a story to relay as it may seem. Had it not been for the CR's post, this story would likely have never emerged.

    CDP - I'm not sure if this was Grandmere Mimi's experience, but my change of heart came from a recognition of dealing with people as human beings first; it's a sensible thing like putting the horse before the cart; turning on the engine before putting the car in gear.

    Susan - Thanks. Yeah George was a wise man, but like all wise men, he had his faults. He was human, and like most humans remembering a lost loved one, the tint of the lens is sometimes rosy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gmb - I didn't forget to respond to you. But thanks for the props. It's my way to beat myself up about stuff because it helps me get to what is true and real. That's just my way.

    I loved the story about your brother. In fact, I've had that happen to me quite a few times since the 1981 incident and I can't really say I dealt with it in as magnanimous a fashion as your brother. My transformation was not an overnight change. Most times, I simply ignored it and walked away. These days I take your brother's view and live in the glow of that admiration and desire. Why not? It really does feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I just have to say it, I think that was really sweet. I know it freaked you out and all but still, a kiss is a kiss and he meant it. I think we attach way too much emotion to gender (I'm out on a limb here, work with me). Men look at women kissing and by and large - from what I am told - think this is very sexy. This tends to give women permission to be a bit more relaxed about a kiss being a kiss without an affront to sexual standing, one way or t'other. I feel the same way in reverse, I think it's the way I feel about men in general (LOVE you guys)- hey, there are two men being very much men and I find it beautiful (and a bunch of other things too but I'm trying to stay clean). Of course, I'm still quite happy to have a hetero husband but that might be my own insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I should take back that "Email Kiss" I sent?

    When I was in high school, we used to go to this "Gay Bar" on Fridays because they'd let anyone inside.

    The only time I ever had an "Uncomfortable" moment was when a guy caught my eye from across the room, and started to meander over.

    I think "Betty Davis Eyes" was playing.

    I simply shook my head "Nope, I'm here with women for a reason," and he turned around.

    Now, straight dudes?

    I can't count how many times we've had to threaten a beat down before "Jimmy Budweiser" got the message that one of our female companions was not interested in his Drunken Dumbass.

    The point?

    You always hear how aggressive Gay Men are, but that's never been my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alecto - I would love to agree with you on the sweetness of the kiss, but I think in order for it to be defined as "sweet", the kiss would have to be mutual. I agree that we do attach too much emotion to gender, particularly when it comes to same-sex unions, couplings and what have you. But I still there has to be some "mutual" feeling in order for the warm and fuzzies to kick in, don't you?

    Fairlane - No. Send the kiss. I'll take it and know that you won't be trying to pin my chest to a futon anytime soon.

    As for your story, I love it, particularly the way you handled yourself around the gay meanderer. You should have shaken his hand, brought him and drink and said "we can still be friends."

    As for anecdotal stories of gay men being aggressive, I think we need to drop the label and just use "men" to describe the aggressive way all us penis-endowed humans can be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spartacus: Um, my brother wasn't being magnanimous, he was just thrilled that he had a weapon to use against my sister-in-law because she had needled him about gaining sympathy weight. That said, he always was comfortable with his sexuality and didn't feel threatened. Probably because we were raised, in part, by our gay uncle. Doesn't hurt that he's a big guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gmb - I stand corrected. In fact, the more you fill in the story about your brother's gay "thrill" the more I want to meet the big fella and swap stories. He sounds like a cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spartacus: My brother is one of those people who everyone likes. Down to earth, not into pretension. You two would really get along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with pissed in nyc in that you were young, and it was a bit out of line to ambush you with a kiss like that. Who suddenly attacks someone that way?

    ReplyDelete
  16. AND, I meant to say it was a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gmb - I would love to meet your brother. But trust me when I say this -- there will be no kissing involved. LOL!

    Scarlet - First, thanks for stopping by and welcome. I am adding you to my blogroll. As for the kissing part, I hear what you're saying. If this were a heterosexual situation and I ambushed a woman with a kiss, I'd get smacked or, worse, arrested. But I really tried to see both points of view here because I didn't exactly tell the kisser I was not gay or interested; I assumed he knew.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spartacus: Excellent work as usual. And I agree with the panel. EVERYBODY'S confused and insecure when they're young. None of any of that makes you a dick in any way -- merely a human being. But because you're a real human being you arrived at the right place: Gay is another variant of normal. Seems simple enough to me. That this is an issue still among adolescents is hardly surprising, that it's an issue among adults is repulsive.

    I self-identify as straight, too. That certainly doesn't stop me from hanging out with gay friends and going to gay clubs. Just like with every other "identity" it always comes down to whether you share common interests and a similar point of view or a similar sense of humor. That doesn't seem so hard either.

    This seems to be yet another way in which the USA is different from the world's other democratic republics. Here I am living in Panama with all the supposed Latin machismo and believe me gay and straight dudes, lesbians and straight broads all hang out together with no bullshit.

    Even the church down here didn't raise a peep when the assembly passed a gay marriage bill.

    It never fails to amaze me how a country so advanced in so many complex ways as the USA is can be so backward on so many extremely basic things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The funny thing is that I'm straight, but I'd be more likely to slap a man who ambushed me with a kiss than a woman. What about that, eh?

    Also, I'll reciprocate with the link. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spart, my friend, this was brilliant, honest and brave.

    Sorry for the delay in noticing, Wordpress changed their "dashboard format" and I've been floundering for a few days.

    For some inexplicable reason I've always had more than my share of gay guys hitting on me (maybe because I'm so damned little?) and, despite a creepy experience with an old man as an adolescent, I've always considered it a complement as an adult.

    And I'm not "above" recognizing beauty in men - occasionally I'll see a man who is just so friggin' gorgeous that an involuntary "Oh.My.Gaaawd" escapes me, followed by something along the lines of, "That's just not fair... where does that leave guys like me???"

    Meaning the competition we little guys face is stiff.

    And it's actually OK with me if I caused it to be so! :lol:

    Great post, Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CR - Better late than never, I say. More than anyone, I was hoping you would comment because once again, something you wrote inspired me.

    That you would find the flirtations of gay men a compliment does not surprise me. Nor does it surprise me that you can recognize physical beauty in other men.

    As far as the "little guy" thing goes, nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to you, man. A little person is someone who lacks the brain and heart to be the person they want to be. That's not you. In fact, you, my friend, are one of the biggest people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kelso - I almost forgot your comment, bro. Thanks for weighing in here and for hanging with me over at JT. What I liked about your comment is that you touched on a point that I didn't even consider -- the Latino machismo. I was steeped in that as a kid, but the strange thing about Latino culture is that kissing men who you are related to or very close friends with is both appropriate and expected. Unfortunately, there was a hard line drawn for me on where those same-sex affections end and I imagine that this was an issue between my brother George and my dad.

    As for what perplexes you about American 'tudes, what's unfortunate is not that the squeaky wheels are making noise about the issue, but that the voice of reason in this country isn't more assertive or being listened to much. Another good reason to blog, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't read any thing in there about the morning you kiss me on the train. A joke is a joke, and there is no right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Damn it Jack! You were supposed to keep that a secret. Thanks for outing me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post, Spartacus--very cool, and it's very brave of you to share it. Sorry I'm so late to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks DG! Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...