Friday, February 22, 2008

Horace Greeley's Not Happy...

...but I sure as hell am. Mr. Greeley's statue, in all its bronze elegance, is covered in the cold, white "stuff" because it snowed today in New York City. And wasn't your boring, teensy-weensy dusting, but the kind that brings out the boots, the gloves, the wool cap and the little kid in you.

Yay!

The best part about today is that I had my camera with me and made sure to take some extra time on my way to the office to snap some photos.

I'm posting here what I feel are the most expressive and representative shots of what a snowy New York City Day looks like, slush and all. Enjoy!




Snow man on the corner of Broadway and W.31st.








Herald Square, looking North










5th Avenue looking North







5th Avenue looking down...yuck!








Madison Square Park looking South







William H. Seward's bronze head on Abraham Lincoln's bronze body.
Who says 19th Century Americans weren't kinky?










The Flatiron Building through trees.

8 comments:

  1. Nice. It's photos like these that actually make me miss the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed NYC today, but I enjoyed L.I. snow day:)
    Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks like you all had more snow than we did upstate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it snowed on 49th street.....too!

    just in case you think the snow stopped at herald square

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure the snow is pretty....for five minutes, then it becomes a slushy gray/yellow mix that no one can enjoy. By the time I left my apartment today (1:00ish), the beauty was gone, but the deep slushy puddles were there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not a snowman, someone used a Shrink-O-Matic® on the Stay-Puft marshmallow man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sparty, while I am very happy that the snow was an enjoyable experience for you, I just can't handle it anymore. We've finally had a full week with no real snow, after having several inches fall almost every other day for the past month. Only a very light dusting one night this week. This morning I could actually see dirt and dead grass in my backyard and I almost cried. It's 35 and sunny today and I'm wearing a t-shirt. No coat.

    I need Spring. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi - I hear ya! If we had as much snow here as other parts of the country, I'd probably feel the way you do. But, in the last few years, it seems like every snow forecast comes with a "changing over to rain" part. It even rained on Friday after all that snow fell.

    Randal - Or a large dog took a huge dump on that corner and the snow just covered it up. There are many explanations we can apply here.

    PiNYC/DCap - So, I take it you guys don't like the snow? Say it ain't so...

    Fran - Well...maybe this time. But I happen to know that you've had quite a white winter upstate.

    IBird - You probably had much more fun than I did. I had to go to work after taking all those pictures.

    Alecto - Thanks! Just remember, you can take a girl out of the City, but you can never take the City out of the girl.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...