Ah Rickdiculus...
I know you had a rough Suffolk County Kid Wresting Tournament today. Rougher than most I imagine. You were pinned in both your matches, yet, you stepped off the mat with your head held high. You congratulated your opponent, your opponent's coach, and when you found me waiting for you as you stepped from the mats, I was smiling as only a proud dad can. How could I not?
No, you didn't win today. That's okay. I suspect from your tears that you had taken the losses in those matches pretty hard. I understand how you feel, Rick. Losing always sucks. As I told you after you had completed your wrestling: "All that proves is that the kids still wrestling are better wrestlers than you today. Nothing more."
That's because I know that inside that scrawny 70.1 pound body of yours beats the heart of a champion. It never amazes me how you always manage to get your teammates pumped up with your infectious enthusiasm, despite always being one the smallest kids on every team you've played on. It's just makes watching your contests that much more fun.
I think what I like most about the way you play sports, Rick, is that you never quit. Today, you were scheduled for two matches and, despite the fact that your second watch did not go off for another 45 minutes after your first, you stayed until you heard your name called, and you popped right up from your seat ready to wrestle when it was. I love that about you. You never quit.
Again, I say to you, put aside the losses at today's wrestling tournament. Put aside the humiliation and frustration you felt, and feel good about the fact that you did the best you could. There will be other wrestling matches and other contests where your enthusiasm and perseverance will count for something. Soon enough baseball season will be here and you will be slapping fastballs right back up the middle and vacuuming grounders on the infield. You will be doing everything you can to help your team win. And you will do it not only with your talent, but with your drive and desire to bring your teammates up with you. That son is what makes yours the heart of a champion. You have that, and I could not be prouder to call you my son.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
What powerful words to say to your son. Such a good message that we all need from time to time.
ReplyDelete-NCee
Beautiful post, I would be proud, too!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Sparty.
ReplyDeleteI think one of the best things we can teach our kids is that life is going to knock you on your ass, but you have to keep getting back up.
"Winning" is such an abstract concept anyway.
NCee/CDP/Fairlane - Thanks. It's funny how life lets you draw inspiration from the most unlikely of sources. My kids -- all of them -- are that source for me.
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes, Fairlane, I agree that winning is an abstract concept because even if you win something tangible like money or a car, it's fleeting. You can't take it with you. I prefer the word accomplishment.
you are a great dad and I am sure your son apprieciates your support of him. btw, my son almost always lost in wrestling too. I had to sit there and watch that and my heart was always in my throat. happily, he was good at soccer and basketball.
ReplyDeleteOk, that was too sweet for words. Wait, here's some: Rick has a great dad, Spartacus.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus, You are so right. One of my daighters is a talented champs level tennis player in our state and she droppped out after 5 years of playing to get there. I have tried to be encouraging and patient. You can't for them to do extracurriculars of that sort (she's an excellent student, etc.) and you cannot give a child drive like that. I recently read about one of the women who is bound to be one of our Olympic swimmers, and what her mother had to say about her when she was a young girl, was that she was unfailingly competitive. That's paying off now for her, and no doubt will for your son later. As for my daughter, I might be happy if she just went to bed now. Who am I kidding? No, I wouldn't.
ReplyDeleteLib - was that you I saw in the gymnasium bleachers screaming at your kid to pin the little bastard!!! LOL! It's nice to know that there's someone in our little corner of blogovia who knows my pain.
ReplyDeleteThanks gmb. I'm okay as Dad's go. But sometimes he inspires me to words.
Frieda - I'm not sure if his competitive nature will pay off for him down the stretch, but he does follow his passion, which is more than any parent can wish for their child.
So True.
ReplyDeleteI loved sports. But what I loved was playing the game.
And it became the same in life. You know there will be setbacks. You learn and come out more confident.
Some lose every day and never learn. They are called neo-cons.
you mean winning isnt everything like Reagan and Bush kept telling us
ReplyDeletegreat story spart
There is another thing he can be proud of, he has one hell of a wonderful dad.
ReplyDeletespartacus, then your son certainly has accomplished something, that's for damn sure.
ReplyDeleteGreat message!
ReplyDeleteRickd. has the heart of a champion. We may are parents, teachers, or guides, in time we have to find that we also learned from our kids, not in word but in action! Great your support.
Anon - You're right. I try and make sure that my kids never lose sight of the fact that their playing a game and the point of it is to have fun.
ReplyDeleteDCap - Winning is everything, but only when I do the winning...LOL!
PoP - You flatter me in that "aw shucks" sort of way. Thanks.
RG - His accomplishment was in teaching me what's truly important in life...living happily.
IBird - The best teachers are the ones who never stop being a student. Thanks for your kind words.
That is really excellent. It takes a very, very big person to lose and be graceful towards your opponents. There are a lot of grown men who cannot do that. Go Rick!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lisa. Much appreciated. Sadly, I can sometimes count myself among those grown men. Children really can teach us alot.
ReplyDelete