Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bobby Wexler Wants To Hang Out (With Me)

Rep. Robert Wexler is rapidly becoming one of my favorite people in Congress. Not only is he beating the shit out of the Administration with his impeachment efforts, but now he's asked me on a date (along with a few hundred other New Yorkers supporting impeachment.)


He even sent me a personalized e-mail invitation:



Dear (Spartacus),

I wanted to thank you for your great support these last months, and to let you know that I am coming to New York City for a free event, Monday, March 3rd, hosted by Democracy for NYC and Lewis Cohen:

"An Evening With Robert Wexler"
Monday, March 3rd, 2008
6:30 to 8:30PM

at
K Lounge
30 W. 52nd Street

(between 5th Ave and Avenue of the Americas)

I will be speaking and answering questions on many subjects, but would be happy to address questions on our Impeachment efforts, the recent Contempt of Congress citations, or anything else that you'd like to address.

If you plan to join us, please RSVP directly to
Ruth_Benedict@comcast.net.

I hope you can come, and I look forward to meeting you in person.

Best,

Robert Wexler

I am a little nervous about attending the event. In one sense, I feel like one of those communists in the 40s that were called on the carpet by Sen. Joe McCarthy in 1953. Now that I know that the DHS wants me to carry a special license (well not now because I was born in 1963), I wonder if their operatives aren't keeping tabs on potential terrorists like me.

On the other hand, I am terribly flattered in that "school-girl-asked-to-a-dance" sort of way. I want to say yes, but I don't know what to wear. Should I wear my suit? Will he like my new beard? Does he say this to all his impeachment supporters?

Well, if you're in NYC next week, I highly encourage you to attend. My representative, Pete King, won't be there. Neither will Charles Krauthammer who defecated this shit of a column today in the Washington Post (I saw it in Newsday, of course) about how, once again, progress is being made in Iraq, and how the Democrats are too delusional to see this. Blech!

But I will be. And I have the invite to prove it.

13 comments:

  1. Please tell us what he says. And the beard looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post about the event. But you could be there too. You're the one living in NYC, after all. LOL.

    As for the beard, I'm going for the terrorist profile look to see if the cops arrest me at Penn Station for refusing a DHS-approved (illegal) search. Do you do criminal work as an attorney? I may need your help after I wave the 4th Amendment in a cop's face and tell him to go fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! You linked my post. I'm totally honored!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frogette - it was my pleasure. Great post on DHS at Ragebot BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most politician meet-n-greet-and-blab fests would be pointless and boring, but Wexler has shown some spine and a fuckload of REAL patriotism - yeah, this is the stuff, wingnuts - so this should be very cool.

    Oh, t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Now that's class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RG - You're right. This could turn out to be a really cool experience. I plan to take notes and post about it afterwards. As for the jeans and sneakers -- it sounds good except i may come straight from work and I hate the idea of bringing in clothes and changing at the office. They'll just have to meet Spartacus in his daily battle regalia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go ahead with your bad bad self. Chris Van Hollen (MD 8th) has not invited me anywhere yet, but I'll live vicariously through you, you political insider. We look forward to a detailed post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spartacus: I don't get out of work until 6:30 at the earliest, so I wouldn't be able to make it on time. And sorry, I no longer practice law and when I did it was tax law. I am concerned about taking the train down to visit family this weekend, because I have to take a train to go but what do I do if they pull me aside? Cave to the man or refuse and be denied my seat? I can't tell you how pissed I am about this big brother bullshit. I guess I will find out on Friday. Fucking DHS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - you and Wexler are so "like this"(franiam crosses fingers)- how cool are you. Smell you for a week Mister!

    And nice look man- nice look. It works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe he will also bring some of our Florida sunshine your way. Go! Experience the feeling! Enjoy the moment. You'll be able to relate the story to family and friends forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gmb - It's cool. My apologies for being so insistent. I didn't mean to bust your chops like that. As for the law "thing", thanks for letting me know. I'll just have to call someone else when I tell a cop that I know my constitutional rights and that these random and arbitrary searches are unreasonable and require a warrant. That the Patriot Act and any other Act empowering DHS to search without warrant in an arbitrary fashion is unconstitutional. All I'm saying -- to you gmb and anyone else who reads this blog -- is know your rights and defend them. It's scary, but if we don't stand up now, we never will.

    Fran - it would seem that me and Rep. Wexler are...ahem...tight. He keeps sending me these great letters and now that he's finally dug up the nerve to ask me out...well...what's this bearded boy to do? Say no?

    PoP - will Rep. Wexler get pissed if I call him sunshine? LOL! Thanks for the well-wishes. I plan to bring a notebook and ask as many questions as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you should go, and can we go?
    It's high time we did more than just figure out this big mind fuck of a puzzle that is our government. I mean what's the point if we don't at least try to affect change! Maybe that sharp PR candidate for public office is YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha SPARTACUS SPARTACUS SPARTACUS!!!!!!
    Lil Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey spart... i might be able to join you, if you want some company. email me at my work email (you have it)....

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...