These clouds look menacing
Though they only obscure your light.
I wish I could swipe them away
Like a great Northwest wind does
After a heavy rain
On a day in early Autumn.
It makes you smirk
To hear me say so,
"Your wishes are no good to me,"
You say as you hold me captive
On this world where
The weather is always inclement.
"I can no more stop the rain,
Than ease your pain," you say
Roiling cumulus maladies that
Soak me to my soul
But offer little relief
As they drone on with pitiless resolve.
Tell me, is there a smile left in you;
A radiant beam from afar?
Are you my constant sun or distant star?
Please show me where you hide
So I can voyage there
To try and make things right;
To try and contract your universe;
Reign in the gamma- and x-rays;
Concentrate the power of life, and
Shrink it to a manageable size
Before another downpour forms
More salted tears in my eyes.
Or perhaps, I should
Just shut up and open an umbrella,
And not encourage the melancholy revelry
Of your comfortable misery,
And wait in vain for that one rare dry day
To bask in the warmth of your glow.
(2006)
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
the new Robert Frost
ReplyDeletenice!
(you write so well..........)
DCap- I am flattered. But I leave the real writing and story telling to folks like you. Writing song and verse is both my gift and curse. I would trade it any day for your prolific ability to write prose. You want to see a good writer? Take a look at yourself in the mirror every now and then.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful- really good. I love how you write... poetry and otherwise.
ReplyDeleteBut I do think poetry is your real gift.
And what a magnificent gift at that!
Thanks Fran. This comment means alot to me. :)
ReplyDeleteWell for the record, these words have stayed on my heart all day, just came back to re-read and to mail the post to myself.
ReplyDeletePeace brother.
Friggin' class act, my friend. You remind me of some excellent modern poets I've been diggin' recently.
ReplyDeleteDon't rule out publishing this stuff. It's really that good.
I love when you post your poetry. I hope you'll try to publish an anthology, and when you do, I hope you'll tell us about it. I'll be happy to shamelessly shill for you to my dozens of readers.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Fran/CR/N Cee - I am truly humbled by your comments on this piece. It's my hope that one day I will get to read it to you personally as poetry is best understood when it is read aloud. Thanks all.
ReplyDeleteCDP- Thanks. I will try to post more as the need to hits me.
ReplyDeleteAs far as publishing an anthology, one day I hope to do that, but the discovery process is as much hard work as it is good fortune, so any shilling you do will be accepted and appreciated. (I can be shameless about somethings, can't I?)
Truly beautiful, Spartacus.
ReplyDeleteThese words are so powerful. I'm like Fran I Am, I keep coming back to read them.
ReplyDelete