I'm in a pissy mood today. There's alot of shit that's got me down, not the least of which is this idea that I am simply spinning my wheels in mud. There's a song by Incubus that keeps bouncing in my head, so rather than belabor you with my troubles and self-loathing, let me give you a song to warm you up.... 1. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a. a black person. b. a member of any dark-skinned people. 2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc. 3. a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.
Why Do We Need A Constitution?
While I was out in San Francisco last weekend on weekend trip with my family, I came across a series of articles in the San Francisco Chronicle about the murder of Oakland Post editor Chauncey Bailey. I've linked the articles here, here, and here .
At first, I thought I was going to rant on religion by bringing this up, but it really wasn't about that but about silencing dissent. Chauncey Bailey's murder is another slide down that slippery slope of fascism that includes the intimidation of the MSM by their corporate owners and by the White House; threats and murders at abortion clinics; the penning in of protesters whenever the President visits a major city -- it's all part and parcel of the same form of intimidation.
Chauncey Bailey was gunned down by a member of an Islamic goon squad, but one can easily substitute the "islamic" modifier with any other word and achieve the same effect. Have we reached a point in our country's history where the constitution even matters? Consider the oath of office that one must take before assuming the office of President of The United States:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God.
You consider the events like Chauncey Bailey's murder, it makes me wonder which part of the oath our President takes most seriously. I would venture to guess the "so help me God" part because he's done nothing but chip away constitutional rights such as due process, illegal search and seizure, the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment, all in the name of security. It's as if he's the god and we're the ones being so helped.
Please. I say we just tear up that fucking parchment and pull out a piece of construction paper and a Sharpie Marker, and scribble a new constitution that reads:
Do as I say and nobody fucking gets hurt.
For certain, that banker robbers oath may sound like a threat, but I'm beginning to wonder if it would have saved Chauncey Bailey's life, by making him shut the fuck up in the first place. Speaking of security....
Smile, You're On Security Camera....
The day after we returned from our trip, October 10, I came home to find out that my youngest son got in trouble for fighting in school. This was not your typical bottle-flinging, chair-smashing, paddy-wagon worthy fight. This was a couple of 11-year old kids pushing each other's shoulder blades with fingertips saying things like, "Oh yeah? Well, I touched you last. So there."
For this, my youngest, his good friend, mullet Tom, and their enemy, bully-boy Nick, were dragged into the 6th Grade dean's office and separately interrogated to determine what happened. This was all part of the school's zero-tolerance policy for fighting, which calls for this type of Abu Ghraib isolation. However, the interrogation was merely for the purpose of providing context to the taped video surveillance they had of the whole scene. The dean saw it all on tape.
A truly what the fuck moment, for me, because I had absolutely no idea that our schools were using video surveillance in the cafeterias. I asked E. about this because I was always under the impression that video surveillance was being used outside the school to monitor the entrance and egress to the numerous doorways into the building. She confirmed that this was the case; that it had been this way for quite some time; and that it was being done for that all-encompassing and nebulous reason...Security.
I almost spit out my mouthful of penne pasta mixed with Filomena's gravy (that Italian for marinara sauce) because I was stunned by what I was hearing. What really made my heart sink, however, was the discussion that ensued between me and The Eldest over this point.
TE: Daddy, I don't get why you're so upset by the cameras. They have them in my school, too. They're for security. They make us feel safe.
Me: So let me get this straight. You think that those cameras are there for your safety?
TE: Yes. Now would you just drop it. This is sooooo stupid! Mom!
E: Ya know. This was supposed to be a nice family dinner. Thanks (E. picks up her plate and leaves the table)
Me: What? So now our family dinners can't include discussions about security? (Turning to TE) So, you think that some camera hooked into the false ceiling in your cafeteria is going to stop someone from kicking your ass and beating you senseless? Where are the teachers when you eat?
TE: Well... maybe people won't want to do stuff like that if they know cameras are on them.
Me: And, maybe, some people bent on violence won't give a shit about the cameras and lay some knuckle on your face anyway. Will the camera "secure" your personal safety then? And doesn't it bother you that someone is watching everything you do every second of the day?
My daughter's words troubled me because it appears to me that we are raising a society that is so used to being watched and protected from all of the evils in the world. They've become so numb and indifferent to the invasion of privacy that video surveillance represents. In this case, the school is using video surveillance to cover it's ass from liability in case a kid gets hurt in an altercation. But how long before it becomes a tool for controlling what information gets passed on in classrooms.
As well intentioned as this form of security may be, do they honestly feel that surveillance will be a deterrent? It doesn't stop people from robbing banks, why would it stop kids from pounding each other senseless? It's yet another form of fear-laden laziness that, once accepted, will insidiously creep into other areas of the school curriculum. You can just imagine little Joey going to home to his fundy mother and telling her "Mom, today I learned that the earth is not 6,000 years old", and having some poor science teacher called to the carpet with the scrutiny of video evidence because some wingnut parent complained.
What scares me even more about this video surveillance coupled with zero-tolerance is that it's telling my kids not to defend themselves; to keep your hands down while some bully pummels their faces to pulp just so that they won't run afoul of school policy. To be mindless, voiceless idiots whose only mission is to automatically absorb whatever information they're being fed and take willingly whatever punishment they receive. Fuck that. My kids have a standing order to defend themselves with words and fists if anyone tries picking on them. They may get detention as my son did, get suspended, or even expelled. In my view violating this stupid school policy in the act of self-defense is a grounds for a holiday.
We're All Niggers of Some Sort
Last night I read and commented on Fairlane's post over at Jonestown titled Wingnuts Of a Different Color, where he laid down a spirited and inspired rant on racism in the context of the Jena 6. I found his commentary on the state of racism dead on target because it is alive and well in this country. And, if I understood his post correctly, Fairlane's main point is that we, as nation, seem to have grown too used to racism, and that now that it's rearing it's ugly head in the form of non-s0-coded noose hangings, our reactions, particularly those of liberals, are tepid.
In the context of his post, he's right. The image of a noose is not just some prank or joke and, particularly to blacks in the South, it's an image which connotes fear and violence on a scale I can't even begin to imagine. However, whenever the subject of racism is broached, the discussion almost always denigrates into a shouting match of epithets, instead of a rational discourse on what it really is -- a divisive misuse of cultural labels by really stupid people.
Consider the meanings of the word nigger from the American Heritage Dictionary:
The fact is that we all stem from the same genetic source code. While many different versions of this "source code" has been modified by physical and cultural forces and time, the code is the same. Were I to mate with black woman, we would likely produce children not much different from the gorgeous, young mulatto woman with crystal blue eyes and a kinky afro of blondish brown hair who rented us bicycles to me and my family in San Francisco last week. Would you call her a nigger? How about an Oreo cookie? Do you think she would call herself that? Does it really matter?
I ask because, whenever we allow ourselves to be affected by these labels we become no better than the people who use them. This is the denigration that I'm talking about where I call a black man a nigger and he calls me a cracker. Why are we paying so much heed and attention to this nonsense?
I don't have any simple solutions to the problem of racism and I doubt very much I will see it's eradication in my lifetime. But one thing I know is for certain: The less an issue I make of it, the less it affects me. While there's no way to avoid racists, we live with them, we commute with them...shit, in my case, we even have to call some of them family. Some may think that I am avoiding the problem by avoiding the label. I'm not. What I am saying is that we can and should demand a higher sense of decency from ourselves and others. We must stand firm on the fact that racist language has no place in human society and that anyone's use of it puts them at risk of becoming the very same social outcasts that they used to express their unfounded fear of differently colored people. You no more legislate away the hatred of racism anymore than you can make the use of the word nigger a crime. But we can, as humans, move towards the goal of eradication racism by removing the words that feed it from normal social discourse. These are labels for which we no longer have any use.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
SPARTACUS:
ReplyDeleteYou've covered the waterfront here, so I'll restrict my comment to one part of the many with which I identify: "zero-tolerance" violence policy in NYC public school.
I am 5'7". My son's mom is 5'2". And there are no genes for size on either side of the boy's families. Moreover, his pediatrician seemed to feel that he'd always be the smallest boy in his classes and would top out at around 5'5". So, when he was three or so, I decided to teach him some basic punches and explained to him that he'd be better using those than getting into playground wrestling brawls because the other kids are bigger. I showed him how to use both fists. The jab, cross, hook, overhand, round-house and combinations. And, of course, how to use his fists and arms and movement to protect himself. He got very good at it very quickly. So far, he indeed has been the smallest child in every class, but has a perfect record in kid fights. He's not a bully, though. He's a very good natured boy, although he's sensitive about being small and resents being bullied, so he's getting those fists up pretty quickly in those situations.
OK, so he's in Kindergarten and I'm in Vegas and I get a call from his mother saying that some big kid at recess came at him and shoved him down, and our son got up and hit the kid in the eye with a right. Our son said "sorry." The kid went to the nurse and class resumed. The kid's parents by-passed the teacher and principal and went to the Board Of Ed, who immediately mandated that our son be evaluated by the school psychiatrist. All of this happened without their informing his mother or me. The school psychiatrist asked him "why are you so violent? Do your Mommy and Daddy hit you at home?" He said "no." The shrink asks "do you have an older brother or sister who hits you?" Our boy being a city kid thought on his feet and said "yeah, I have an older sister who hits me." He is, of course, an only child! He gangstered up for a while saying nothing to the shrink and finally, plaintively said "look, I said I was sorry to him."
The following Monday I was back in NYC and took him to school. I said to his teacher pleasantly "so...I guess I missed the fireworks, huh? But everything's cool, right?" She replied "I wouldn't say that at all. The next time he's in a fight, he's suspended. The time after that he's expelled...WE HAVE A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY TOWARD VIOLENCE IN THE NYC SCHOOL SYSTEM."
I said to her "that's the biggest pile of shit I've ever heard in my life...don't you realize that with this policy you are giving the bullies a LICENSE to pick on kids because the teachers never see the first punch, only the second? And besides, you know how he is...how well he gets along with everybody. He's not a bully. He's a very loving kid. You've given him nothing but excellent comments both about his work and demeanor."
She says "I don't care, Mr K________, those are the rules."
I told her that I was having none of it and that I would not chastise my son for defending himself. If the school did anything unfair, I would not hesitate to sue the city and that now that the Board Of Ed is under Bloomberg's control, I was fully prepared to have the firm I use to really take it out of Mayor Mike's pocket and mess up a few teaching and administrative careers along the way, that this wasn't going to be some little family court bullshit, that my son's matter would be represented by the chairman emeritus of the New York State Criminal Bar.
Never heard another peep out of any of them. There are no cameras on the school playground and he's had his normal share of tussles and is now a 2nd grader there in good standing.
Only one piece of unfinished business remains. I left a number of calls with the school psychiatrist demanding an apology to my son, to my ex and to me. None of the calls were returned. Just as well.
Zero-tolerance! Fuck that shit.
There is so much to cover here, I really don't know where to begin or what to say.
ReplyDeleteI will begin, my dear Spartacus, by thanking you for such a long, personal and though provoking post. I was swept away by it and I can't imagine what it took to write it all. Peace to you my brother and friend.
I will comment on Kelso's comment, in a manner of speaking.
Zero tolerance is just another bullshit term(oh wow cussing here now too, not just at Jonestown!) for control and power. Thankfully Kelso showed them his stuff, but that is b.s. of the worst sort.
To carry forth and go back into your post, I am horrified by the cameras as well... Not to mention that kids think they mean "safety".
Anyway- this is the very best of Spartacus. Mad props to you my man, mad fucking props to you.
Kelso- Thanks for relaying your story on the zero tolerance policy at school. I feel exactly the same way; that this gives bullies a free shot because quite frankly most bullies don't give a shit. What's worse, is what I learned from E. about what they do for kids that are expelled -- they're home schooled. WTF, right? You see, this is all part of the school system washing it's hands of the liability presented by problem kids. Used to be that they dealt with them to try and keep them in school. I guess the cost-benefit of that strategy has become prohibitive because of the probability of lawsuits. No matter, my stance is the same with my kids -- they have a standing order toi hit back when hit; to stand up for themselves, suspension/expulsion be damned.
ReplyDeleteFran - the camera thing freaked me out. I'm not sure I did a good job of bringing that sentiment across, but knowing this makes me afraid for my children's future.
By the way, this post took a long time to contemplate and complete. But I'm glad I got it out. It was festering in me for a few days and really bringing my mood down. A cathartic release? Sure, I'll buy that, and if I say something cogent in the process, all the better. Again, thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.
S:
ReplyDeleteIt's unfortunate that so many parents take a passive attitude, especially because in the public schools I am one of the rare parents with enough juice to carry through with what I threatened. Christ, my attorney would have done it for free just to fuck with Bloomberg because the partners at that firm loathe authority so much. But it's public school. What about the 99.9% of the remaining parents that don't have the clout that I do? Or the good sense to turn their fear of lawsuits around AGAINST them in support of their children? What's supposed to happen to their perfectly nice kids when they get hassled? I'm just glad it hasn't gotten to the "camera" solution yet, though given the 1000s of cameras EVERYWHERE in the City Of New York, I have no doubt the cameras are coming to the school. It won't happen immediately at my son's school because the principal is a very fair woman who understands these things well and will fight hard to keep them out but she won't be able to hold out forever. That I respect the principal so much just made the whole situation so galling that the Board Of Ed would take this action against a five year old boy without even telling her, let alone me or his mother.
I'll discuss race after I've finished my work and when I'm ready to deal with my feelings on that.
Nice work, buddy. Everybody (especially parents) should have a copy of this post just as a reminder of first principles.
Spartacus:
ReplyDeleteI think I tackled YOUR racism question on FAIRLANE's original post. I think that we are pretty much on the same page. For Americans, I agree with you that a good first step is just to follow the Golden Rule and to remeber basic courtesies. The best way to avoid racism albeit by inches is for Americans to mix a little more, to establish friendships with all sorts of different people. And I don't mean check-list token acquaintanceships. I mean honest-to-goodness FRIENDSHIPS as in exchanging phone calls, dinner plans, partying plans, sharing hobbies, etc. In other words DOING ALL THE THINGS THAT REAL FRIENDS DO.
This, rather ironically, brings me back to something I wrote on your San Francisco post. I guess what I liked LEAST about San Francisco was how very homogenous it was: WHITE and WEALTHY. It may bear some physical resemblance to Brooklyn but is a galaxy away. And, unsurprisingly, I also found native San Franciscans to be discourteous as well.
As you best of all know, Spartacus, New York City has a reputation for rudeness but New Yorkers in the main are fairly nice, fairly courteous and rather respectful people although the stresses and the population density make a brusque and sarcastic manner kind of a necessary shield.
Just how Americans of all types, because of the sparseness outside the center cities make for homogenous communities, CAN ever mix is another question and too large a question for me to answer.
Athough, Americans outside the biggest cities are a little goofy (the whole USA-USA-USA thing, for example), I can't really say Americans are more nationalistic than any other large country. It just seems that way because America is in something of a nationalistic frenzy right now. How long that will last is also a question beyond my ability to answer.
Kelso, thank you so much for addressing the racial aspect of this post. As a New Yorker yourself (because once you've lived here, you're never an ex-NYCer), you get what I'm talking about and I'm kicking myself for not bringing up the difference between having a real friend of a different color and a token friend of color as shield against being labeled a racist.
ReplyDeleteI agree that NYC denizens have a reputation for brusqueness, which I can say with all honesty is somewhat deserved. But when you've lived here long enough (as we have) you begin to realize how strong this very large community really is. When you've lived here long enough, you develop bonds based on common interests (e.g., the music scene) and common concerns (ever increasing subway fares and rents), which transcend barriers of race and religion and other labels I despise. They're useless to virtually all here in New York. I say virtually because there are still enclaves in this town that hold onto these useless divisive labels.
However, as I commented over at Jonestown, this does not mean that we as New Yorkers are ignoring the issue of race. After all, just beyond our borders are communities that are as balkanized as ever, and those people come to work and play here everyday, bringing with them the soil of their attitudes. It's perhaps the biggest reason I steer far and clear from the Times Square area because that Rudy created playland is now so antithetical to what NYC represents.
But this comment was meant as a specific thanks to you because you're the only one take a bite on my screed on racism. I hear what you're saying about America not being any more nationalistic than any other country, and I agree. However, sometimes I feel like as a country, we're more comfortable and accustomed to defend our varied cultural heritages rather than rising above the fray and ignoring the stupid labels with which we do not identify.
Again, thanks for leaving me this comment. You've just raised my spirits 1000%.
I think the problem is that the word "nigger" is not simply a "label."
ReplyDeleteThe word has power because the people who use it have power, and they demonstrate time and again that they will use it.
I think the word "nigger" evokes fear as much as it does anger.
It's not the word in and of itself, it's what the word represents. Remember, the Civil Rights movement wasn't even 50 years ago.
"Cracker" has absolutely no power. I had a black kid call me "honkey" years ago and the only emotion it aroused was amusement. There's no history of lynching, slavery, discrimination or beat downs by Police associated with that word.
"Cracker" is just a word. "Nigger" has far more weight.
Fairlane-
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment and your perspective on this issue. If we're looking at it from a sense of locale, then I agree with you. The word "nigger" carries much more weight because of the imminent threat behind it.
However, being from the "liberal", cosmopolitan, City of New York where black, latino, irish, italian, polish, jew and what have you all intermingle, it's connotation is more label than threat, and sometimes it's comical as in "nigga please!" -- an expression of incredulity.
I suppose that is where our disconnect is on this point. Where I come from and how I grew up, racial differences were topical and rarely, if ever, were the basis of conflict. I suppose being poor and knowing it would do that to a person. Kind of like sharing a foxhole with a fellow grunt.
Hey! Nice to hear from you. Stop by more often. I promise, I'll throw some more interesting shit up here. Peace.
Spartacus & Fairlane:
ReplyDeleteAgain, thanks for posting the keepers. Since no one else is going to do this shit it falls to us. Fairlane in the NYC of Spart and my youth, you could always JOKE about ethnicity or race with friends but it never came to anything nasty. You were never going to take liberties with anyone you didn't know well. That's just common sense. So, if a New Yorker is PC in anyway, it more has to do with survival and manners than with politics.
You are absolutely right that "cracker" doesn't have the same bite as "nigger." But come to a big city that doesn't have too many White Protestants and believe me words like "Peckerwood," "Ofay," "Gringo," "Yanquita," "Goyisheh Kupp" or "Goyasha Kurva"
(about a White Christian guy's mother) are pretty fucking hurtful and meant as such. You probably know the first two well, the third sort of, but I don't want to explain what the essence of the 3rd through 6th on the list are. They are really, really unpleasant. In a big ciy, you see, WE'RE the WHITES.
So, don't feel left out of the party! There's plenty of venom to go around. It's up to us to dilute the venom while staying as true to the game as possible.