I took a weekender to the West Coast with the family. A while ago E. and I decided (really, it was E.) to spend the bulk of my United Airlines frequent flyer miles to spend two days and three nights in the lovely City of San Francisco, California.We had a great time, especially considering the fact that the flight and hotel were gratis. However, we did spend a boat load of money staying fed and doing the "tourist" thing.
I plan to post several entries about this trip as I took copious notes of the events of the two days we were there.
I am writing this post to accomplish several items on my to do list:
1) Apologize to all of you who left comments on my blog while I was away. After thinking long and hard about whether or not to stay connected to the blogsphere while on this mini-vacation, I decided to leave it home because the purpose of this trip was to spend some "exclusive" time with E. and the kids.
2) Thank my friend Dave for looking after the pooch for us while we jetted to the left coast. Originally, my older brother (yes, that older brother) agreed to look after him, but backed out because his estranged wife didn't think it was a good idea for him to stay at our house while we were gone. (Apparently, she thinks he's an adult still in need of supervision.) It's times like these that I wonder how and why I've been blessed with such a great friend.
3) To get back in the flow of writing. I did quite a bit of writing while I was in SF. I not only wrote of the events of the day, but I started scratching out some new verse that I've had brewing in my brain for quite some time. Well, the words have started to percolate and I'm ready to starting pouring out a few fresh cups of angst.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, I finish this work with these little ditties about the great city of San Francisco.....
Apologies for the Japanese subtitles. This was the best version I could find on YouTube.
But if Tony Bennett is not your thing, then perhaps a little Journey is what you need.
Question: What is your favorite city to visit (as opposed to living in)?
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Venezia, Italia. And it's not close. The dark cityscape at night from the water taxi or vaporetto is breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteExcellent food. Good nightlife.
Welcome back. I was never much of a San Francisco guy myself when I lived in California, perhaps because I lived in LA. The people struck me as too pretentious and not particularly helpful with directions and the common courtesies. That said, the best Dim Sum breakfast I've ever had is at that place on Clay Street.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKelso -
ReplyDeleteMy two favorite cities are Hong Kong and Mexico City. But after visiting San Francisco, I may change that ranking. Shanghai, China is also high on my list. However, being New Yorker, there is simple no place like home.
DCup -
Everyone has their guilty pleasure bands (and music). Journey is but one of mine. Okay, I'm out on my taste for schlop rock music. They're not edgey or ground breaking, but damn it, they've made some good "fucking" music.
Ahem.... why I've been blessed with such a great friend.
ReplyDeleteQue dijo? Soy confundida.
Sorry (gulp) - just sayin'.
(feel the love, feel the love!)
OK, now that I have made that completely uncalled for comment above, let me move on.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great trip. I am with Kelso on this one. It is ok, but not my town really.
Kelso -where and when did you live in LA? Me- Los Feliz 1998-2000. Frequent visitor before and after, but not so much any more.
Barcelona, of course is high on my list. Jerusalem too. This is hard - hard to choose.
ha, ha, ha! Busted by Fran. OMG. So busted!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to answer your city question. So in the U.S. it's New Orleans. Outside the U.S. Paris.
But then, I've only been to Paris, Nice and Barcelona outside the U.S.
Moi? Busted? For what? For stating that I've been "blessed" with my good friend Dave, as if I'm acknowledging some higher power? Or, dare I say it a deity? God?
ReplyDeleteHa ha. Leave it to the faithful to make such leaps in logic. I have no explanation for how and why my friend Dave entered my life. He just did and I have been fortunate (blessed, if you will) since. I've given up those delusions and give thanks to no one but myself for the good sense to say "whassup" when we first met at our daughter's pee wee softball game so nine years ago.
But I so feel the love Fran. I do. I know you were yanking my chain as was DCup with her out loud laugh. Ha ha hee hee. Now you've got me laughing....
I aim to please!
ReplyDeletewelcome back!
ReplyDeletehope you had a great time -- love SF
favorite cities
Vancouver
Barcelona
Amsterdam
Crawford, Texas
FranIam:
ReplyDeleteI lived in Westwood because I liked to walk to and from school. One car for my first ex and me was plenty and she needed it to drive to work. More specifically, I lived on Hilgard closer to Wilshire than to Sunset.
I liked the Westside because I felt the air was cleaner, although Los Feliz is pretty nice. Seemed to have enough trees to soak up some of the air pollution.
Oh, Spartacus, schlock music. I like JOURNEY, FOREIGNER, BOSTON and I'm pretty much a sucker for all 70s pop, rock and soul. Don't worry, I still have THE MINUTEMEN and NEGATIVLAND in rotation!
ReplyDelete