.... in the mountains of Afghanistan there's a tall, bearded man smiling at the destruction he has wrought.
Watching MSNBC yesterday morning, sick as dog from a head cold and stomach virus, I listened as Henry Paulson, Ben Bernanke, Christopher Cox, and Jim Lockhart squirmed to explain to the Senate Banking Committee why the credit markets need a $700 billion dollar blank check, courtesy of the American taxpayer. I could not help but imagine the bogey-man of our worst nightmares point at his huge flat-screen television and laugh to his cohorts, "Dude, look what we did!"
I know I'm being a bit too simplistic about the Bin Laden connection. What's happening now to our financial markets has it roots in events and circumstances that go back much further than the moment America became aware of Osama Bin Laden. As I was researching information for this post, I came across this article that appeared in The Washington Post back in June:
Anatomy of a Meltdown: The Credit Crisis
Do you think Messers. P., B., C., and L. read the story? How about Bin Laden?
I can't help but wonder: Is he smiling? I'll bet a king's ransom he is. As our country hemorrhages money out every orifice like some poor soul suffering from E-bola, he is smiling because he probably pushed the first domino that set us on this ruinous path.
The cost of fighting terrorism now stands at $581 billion and counting:
###
Iraq War Cost
But that doesn't count. That's the cost of taking the fight over there, so that Americans can be safe here.
Ha! Safe. I feel it. Don't you?
In meantime, while the country's attention was transfixed on the war, the Bush Administration purposely turned a blind eye, as men like Paulson, who was the head of Goldman Sachs before his government gig, gutted the banking industry.
And now they want us to pay for their fuck up.
Listen to Paulsen, Bernake, Cox, and Lockhart as the beg.... BEG!... the Senate Banking Committee for the $700 million dollars.
They look like a bunch of junkies begging a dealer for another fix. Even after Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) suggested that the money be paid off in installments, they we're adamant in stating that they needed the money now, much in the same way, that Bush was adamant about need for cash to fight the war.
Let's do the math folks:
$581 (Iraq war cost)
+
$1,100 (A.I.G., Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Bear Stearns)
+
$700 (All the rest)
= 2,381*
* - figures in billions
That's alot of cheddar for a fix.
Now that the shaft has been inserted into our collective asses with the war, the Bush Administration now wants to give it a nice shove for good measure with this bailout.
What angers me about our present predicaments is the fact that the warning signs were there.
The warnings leading up to 9/11/01 were obvious. Bin Laden had been trying to goad us into a fight for the longest time, blowing up embassies and ramming a bomb-laden boat into the USS Cole. You can blame President Clinton all you want for his administration's tepid reaction to those events, but I quite admire his reserve. Why commit military resources to what is essentially a job for Interpol and the FBI? As we know now, it would have cost us billions to use the military to catch him, and with no guarantee of success. Instead Clinton chose to focus on the economy, on building relationships with foreign nations, and making government run more efficiently. Is it any wonder we had a budget surplus on January 20, 2001?
Listen to Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) take the motley crew of financial gurus to task over the warning signs of this financial crisis:
But it's too late now, I'm afraid. As Congress figures out what to do about Wall Street, people are losing jobs and homes left and right; our infrastructure is crumbling as we speak, and our military is stretched to the point of breaking.
I hate to say this folks, but the wolves are circling the carcass and shooting them from a helicopter won't help.
Russian navy ships head to Venezuela
Our once great nation has fallen to its knees and is holding the ropes taking an eight count.
And somewhere, in a cave in the mountains of Afghanistan, Osama Bin Laden is smiling.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
and... you know what's even worse? We've been here before. Twice since I've been out of my parent's home.
ReplyDeleteI think that the most significant thing in your post is not about the bailout...
ReplyDeleteRussian naval ships and Venezuela?
Holy shit.
Feel better.
Hard to do in these times.
Alecto...the irony is that no matter how much our world changes, somethings still remain the same.
ReplyDeleteFran... believe it or not, that story is what inspired this post. Good thing you're living up near the mountains.
Hey, at least we're safer! No terrorist attacks since 9/11! Go Bush Go!
ReplyDeleteYou can't defeat an idea, and the idea was to bleed us dry. Osama 1, USA 0.
It's not just the Republicans, the Democrats are up to their neck in this massive mortgage crisis, too. Our Congress sat on this and turned a blind eye to the inevitable. I blame the war stuff on Bush and his Republican right wing crowd, but I give equal blame to the Democrats on this recent mess. Follow the money...who did Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pay off to keep silent? How many of our Democrats (along with Republicans) ignore the signs? I guess all that money in their pockets made them lose sight of what was happening to Main Street America. Now let's see what they do with this bail out deal. Who will cave first?
ReplyDeleteThis is going to get even uglier and we can't do anything but write blog posts about it and wait for the ax to fall. Sounds depressing, I know. I can see it written all over the small blogs like ours...we all know we're screwed.
Randal... I agree that you can't defeat an idea. But Osama's tactic was straight out of Sun Tsu's Art of War:
ReplyDeleteReduce the hostile chiefs by inflicting damage
on them; and make trouble for them, and keep them constantly engaged; hold out specious allurements, and make them rush to any given point.
Mary Ellen... you may be right about that, especially since Pelosi and Reid did jack shit with the mandate given them in 2006. However, let's not kid ourselves about who drove this stake into the group... the neocons of the Grand Old Party.
I think you should get sick more often. Excellent stuff..... Bin Laden cost america more lives and money and fucked up our psyche a lot more than what occurred on 9-11. You are very on target here, in my opinion
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: It's as if you were reading my mind (and I got the milder version of the cold thing you got...it's spreading through my workplace like wildfire). What I told a friend today is what if, after the dems cave and agree to something (and never trust Schumer, he's very tied into the Wall Street crowd), another attack on the US happens. Boom....all gone. Osama is laughing his ass off. Me, not so much.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus - I hope you feel better soon. Need ya to be on your A game at all times.
ReplyDeleteThis post was spot on and I learned a few new things which I appreciate.
Of course Bin Laden (and many others) are smiling. We are collapsing, panicking and turning on one another - just as Bush and Co. wanted it when they took advantage of 9/11 to steer us around like a bunch of frightened sheep.
I was never afraid of the terrorists "over there". I have always been scared to death about (not of) the terrorists here.
I pray the terrorsits don't win on November 4
Congress is poised to roll over like a dog seeking its master's approval.
ReplyDeleteThere's a country swimming in money right now which has more USD than it needs and would love to take all the toxic paper off of Wall Street's books. The problem is that they have no desire to help unless Obama is president because the Republicans along with the MSM have been giving the president of this country grief for 8 years running.
ReplyDeleteThat country is Venezuela. That president is Hugo Chavez.
"the wolves are circling the carcass"
ReplyDeleteIt's worse than that. They're at the door! And it's all because of the greedy JACKALS that connived to take huge risks to make huge profits, oblivious to possible bad consequences because they were drunk with unregulated power. And now, when everything is going downhill on greased skids, they want essentially unregulated help from Washington. This is just what we, the people, need: to go crawling, with our tin cup in hand, to China and Japan, begging for another loan.
Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
no okjimm... this virus was pretty nasty in that stay-out-of-the-bathroom sort of way. As for Bin Laden costing us anything, I say that the actions of the Bush Administration cost us the lives and expense, etc, because they played right into his strategy that we would overreact.
ReplyDeleteDianne...thanks, I'm much better now. I agree. The terrorists we should fear more are the domestics ones currently occupying the White House.
Kvatch... from what I saw last night on MSNBC, it appears that Congress's backbone has solidified some.
Kelso.. you're right. Chavez has been trying to help to the point of offering low cost heating oil via CITGO. I wonder how many people here have taken up the offer.
Z... you may be right. The barbarians are knocking at the gates and there isn't a damned thing we'll be able to do about it when they come walking through. We've been sold down the river, and now they want us to pay the fare to get there.
PiNYC...you have to know how much I hate a answering a bunch of comments at once. I'm sorry I missed yours. But here goes:
ReplyDeleteIt does not surprise me that we're of the same mind. And don't get me wrong about Schumer. He asked a tough question at the right time, but I won't forget that he's the same guy that recommended Mukasey for the AG post. We need to keep on eye on the Dems, too.
Again...sorry for the oversight.
Spartacus, Bin Laden (if he's still alive - I mean, kidney dialysis) and his family were heavily connected to the Bush family in the oil business. So if he's still alive, yes, he's smiling in his cave.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus:
ReplyDeleteThe US disallowed the CITGO heating oil thing for the poor this year. I'm fairly sure, unless he's got huge political problems, Obama will allow it in 2009.
But...FUUUUUUUCK...those Mets, those Mets, I don't know what I'm gonna do with those Mets.
Diva... I knew that Bin Laden's family is connected to the Bush family, but the question is whether Bin Laden is connected to his own. I can only assume "no" because it would be against his best interest to do so. On the other hand, were given to unfounded conspiracies, and Bin Laden is still connected to his family, that would make the entire Bush family guilty of crimes beyond the vilest form of treason we can imagine.
ReplyDeleteKelso.. Thanks for setting me straight on the CITGO oil giveaway. We can't let them do that to our oil companies. Remember...Country First! As for the Mets... I'm done. I don't care. I let Rick be the Mets fan.
we need to go out again soon before all the bars and restaurants close in NYC......
ReplyDeleteDCap...if we can't find a restaurant or bar, maybe we can find a cave somewhere.
ReplyDelete