Yes...it's that time.
Time to pack up Skippy and the kids, pack off the mutt to a sitter and hit the road for a well-deserved vacation to Lake George.
It could not come any sooner. We had one helluva day today, the highlight of which was when a suitcase tumbled down a flight of stairs and crashed through the plate glass window of our storm door.
Skippy got very upset about it because she had placed the suitcase at the top of the stairs and didn't think it would fall over.
She cried. We all consoled her and cleaned up the mess.
Problem solved.
We then drove to Home Depot and ordered a replacement glass plate for about $60. We also replaced the broken glass plate with the screen that fits into the spot where the plate glass was, and discovered that a nice breeze comes in through the front door on late afternoons.
Who knew?
Speaking of "who knew" -- Can someone tell me the likelihood of two mushrooms growing together to form what looks like a d-cup bra? Skippy found these by the pool in our back yard. Amazing....
Have a great week everybody. I'll be out on the Internets sparingly... This is a vacation after all. And right in the middle of the campaign season, no less. Listen, when nature calls, I have to answer....![]()
(Photo credit: Xaviermarchant © 2008)
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Have a great time at Lake George! Hope you have wonderful weather!
ReplyDeleteI heard a rumor that if you have screen instead of glass, that air can come through it. ;-) Sucks about the $60, though, finding out that way!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your vacation future minister of the FDA and DEA and whatever the third thing was!
I'm glad you're going on vacation, everyone needs a break. I'll be spending the week with my kids and grandkids who are coming to visit. Unfortunately, they are stuck with a flight delay in Baltimore and it looks like they won't be making it to Chicago until after 9:00 pm. My daughter has been at the airport since 6:00 am with both her kids. She's going to be exhausted. The last communtication I had from her, she left me with this to worry about..."Oh shit, where's my ID? Oh man...I have to go, I have to find it. " That's it. No ID, no flight and she doesn't have time to get back to PA to get it before the flight leaves. I'm left to worry. Oh...and she doesn't have a cell phone with her, she called from a pay phone so I won't be able to call her back to find out if she found the ID. It's no wonder I'm a wreck half the time. Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap- where did you get the actual footage of the real train to Lake George? I am impressed.
ReplyDeleteHave fun and say hi if you can.
As for the mushroom comment... really now Spartacus. What is that about? I just don't know about you! (She says boldly.)
Lake George? Lake George W. Bush? Tell me it ain't so?
ReplyDeleteHave a good holiday.....
So did you eat the mushrooms?
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your vacation Spartacus. Thing is, although I hate being away from the internet most of the time, I adapt quite well to going without when I am vacationing or otherwise away. It's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteHappy trials - I mean trails!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mauigirl. The ride up her was a bit dicey. We ran into a brief, but blinding rain storm. Otherwise, the weather's been great.
ReplyDeleteRandal, the rumor is true. The dog told me so. But you also know that the worst expenses are the ones that come unexpectedly. I figure it's all part and parcel of the whole homeownership gig. The best part is that no one got hurt.
Mary Ellen, Thanks. I needed a break. Did your daughter make it to Chicago with her kids? Sheesh now I'm worried. And, oh yeah, did you say you're from Chi-town? I'll be there from the 24th through the 27th. Hope it all worked out for you and your daughter.
Fran, So you know that train ride, too, huh? ha ha. It's too early to give you a shout now, but I'll try and contact you later today. As for the mushroom thing, I could not help it. I simply have no resistance for that sort of thing.
Okjimm, yes, it's Lake George, but not of the Bush variety. However, considering the number of American flags being flown here, I have to wonder if I've stumbled into a red state oasis of this very blue (NY) state.
Bradda, no, we didn't eat them. The idea of it is actually quite an appealing when you consider they sprouted from the same growund upon which my dog...ummm... tramples.
PiNYC, I have trouble being away from the internet and blogging really is an addiction for me. But this is family time, so the compromise is for me to get up early to read posts, write comments and respond to me own. Thanks for the well wishes.
susan, thanks for both well wishes. You'll know soon enough if I've survived either them.
Spartacus, I heard there is a relative of the Loch Ness Monster in Lake George. No. I meant Lake Champlain. Never mind.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
That was an excellent post...as always. It is funny when things go wrong; usually it comes out better in the end; in regards to the screen. The magic 8 ball is seeing a newer door in the future with an opening window??
ReplyDeleteAwe when nature calls it is from the deck to the plants below! Ha
Peace, Freedom, and have a wonderful vacation!!
DJ...I'll have to look for it the next time I go swimming. However, let's hope for both our sakes it's not a fireman. Then I'll have some explaining to do before you and Congress. :^D
ReplyDeleteAHB - I did see the humor in it because getting pissed won't fix the glass or turn back the clock for me to prevent it. Shit happens. We respond and deal. Mind you, I never used to be this way, but I guess in my old age, I'm beginning to understand the value of saying "Fuck it", and moving on.
there's a loch ness monster in lake george? spartacus, be VERY careful with those younguns!!
ReplyDeleteoh, btw, never underestimate a mushroom, dude!
;)
Oh Anita...they're not so younguns. In fact, they probably swim faster than I do. And, I promise to never, ever underestimate mushrooms.
ReplyDeleteYes, I grew up in Chicago, but now live in the burbs. We had to leave to put our kids in some better schools, Chicago has a lousy school district.
ReplyDeleteMary Ellen, my wife and I never lived in NYC together, so I can't comment on the quality of those schools. But I can't argue with your reasoning. Skippy and I considered the school system when we were house hunting. It's an important factor.
ReplyDelete