I had an idea to write a long narrative post about my weekend in Livingston Manor, NY, but I thought I'd show you in pictures. Skippy and I packed the Jeep with kids, clothes and the family pet and took off on July 4th to escape the yearly re-enactment of the Tet Offensive on our block to the Catskill Mountains countryside.
We were up there for a little over 24 hours. We snapped 160 pictures. Here are ones I liked best:
Spartacus and the boys
Isn't she lovely?
Noodle (formerly known as The Eldest) and Peanut.
The Clark-Travanti barn where most of happenings happened.
There was music.....
and dancing.....
and people who just couldn't keep up with the rest of us.At one point in the day, Skippy and I took off down this road to find a little adventure....
and found just the right spot to stop....
and admire the beautiful scenery.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Looks like a fine time was had by all!
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Tengrain
Ten, It was well worth the trip up North... In fact, my bother and sister-in-law want us to come up more often. Now that the Go-Kart is working, we just might. :~)
ReplyDeleteSounds like 24 hours was toooooo short. Some of the photos remind me of northern Wisconsin....fresh air, good company, food&drink&music..... I would go there often, too. Gees. I have always wanted to visit the Catskills and the Adirondacks....looks fantastic.
ReplyDeleteokjimm - yes 24 hours was way too short. Isn't that always the way?
ReplyDeleteIt's funny you should mention Wisconsin. Margaret Clark and Marc Travanti are the couple that own the barn in the photo where the partying took place. They're both NYC-based artists whom my older brother and I (we stayed at my brother's house nearby) have known since 1980. Marc is originally from Kenosha, and was on a trip back home this past weekend.
As for visiting the Catskills, anything is possible.
Great pictures, 24 hours way too short and do you suddenly have a forth child? How did I miss this?
ReplyDeleteThanks Alecto, but please three kids is more than enough. You didn't miss a thing. Peanut is my sister's granddaughter (my 23-year old nephew's daughter). They came up to visit my brother and his family as well. My sister and Pop-pop (the sax player) also have a five-year old son (this is my sister's 2nd marriage) who was also on the trip.... as if my sister would leave without him.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you had a fun time, Spartacus. I did the same, except I spent a lot of the time imitating Zeb in his sofa shot. Floated in a pool, ate, slept, watched tv (well, The Office dvds). Sometimes you have to get away and veg. Next time, take two days. Why the hell not?
ReplyDeleteI know the civic fireworks are going to happen and I'm not going to bother complaining about the big displays over water. I even got to see them once from the Hudson Bridge and it was fun. What I hate is the local yokel barrage.. and they're sneaky about it too - days later and a few will still be getting blown up at midnight. Where do these fools get the money from?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a wonderful weekend. The view from your resting point looks lovely.
Maui - Thanks I did have a good time. Hope your weekend went well, too.
ReplyDeletePiNYC - I knew you and Zeb had something in common. But what you don't know is that Skippy tapped out early, too.
Susan - Thanks, we had a great weekend and the views were awesome. You might be interested in knowing that I heard from a neighbor of mine last night who told me that the yearly re-enactment of the Tet Offensive went off as planned and in grand form. The irony is that the guy who holds the event is a volunteer firefighter in our town! And, yes, he does spend thousands of dollars to put on this pyrotechnic display, the money which is probably coming from some skimmed public funds. More of a reason to get off my block.
Looks like that was a hell of a lot more enjoyable and relaxing than the typical neighborhood shenanigans.
ReplyDeleteI owe you one for not posting the picture of me dozing on the couch right across from zeb. Sometimes one too many beers and not enough food will do you in for the night.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: Well, I've let my hair grow out a bit and I can match him curl for curl. Just saying.
ReplyDeleteRandal - Relatively speaking, yes, it was more relaxing than staying home, but please bear in mind that Skippy and I were in a car with two teens, one pre-teen and a car sick dog for 3 hours one way.
ReplyDeleteSkippy - Good thing I didn't post the one of you I took posing on the deck with nothing but your birthday suit on.
PiNYC - So are you saying that you tap out early from fab parties? Just saying....
You reminded me of the volunteer fire dept station behind the house we owned in RI for a few years. We were convinced they were crazy since they'd jump in the engines, turn on the sirens and just drive around the block several times a night. We only suspected they were pyromaniacs but when they came round for donations we always gave generously.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking as one parent to another, I try not to think of such horrors. ;-)
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: Well yes, I guess I do. Hmmm.
ReplyDeleteThose pictures as I sit basically placed in the bedroom; because I am the apparent dick; really brought a smile to my face; when I had none. I really liked the "happening" barn it looked really cool!
ReplyDeleteThank You,
Peace and Freedom
Susan - A few months ago I wrote a post about the "vollies" in my town and how they tried to push through a $7.5 million bond for a new firehouse they didn't need. Of course, these mofos are on the take. I'm surprised that at the few numbers of house fires since they were turned away from the tax trough.
ReplyDeleteRandal - As much as I hate gas guzzling vehicles, I have to say I was regretting NOT taking our minivan upstate because it has two rows of back seats.
PiNYC - One day I'll have to introduce you to Zeb. I swear you guys are peas in a pod.
Am Hill Bill - The barn was totally happening. I hope the smile my pics brought you lasted a while.
Well,
ReplyDeleteAll the pictures brought me a smile.