Skippy and I took in a movie last Saturday night. It had been a while since we had gone out together where we weren't meeting up with anyone else.
There was no occasion tied to our "date", unless you call the generosity of her co-workers an occasion. Skippy works in one of the local public elementary schools here in Lindenhurst where she works as an administrative assistant. The job doesn't pay much and can be pretty thankless at times, but she loves it. And judging by the gratitude she gets from her co-workers, it shows. They gave her a few Visa gift cards and an assortment of other gifts for all her efforts during the last school year. So what does she do? She takes me to the movies. Man, I love this woman!
"Anything you want to see," she asks, hoping I would totally cave and agree to see Sex and The City. I could have gone for The Hulk, but something about seeing a big green behemoth blow shit up didn't appeal to either of us that night. So, we decided on something very adult and cerebral.
We took in The Visitor.
Now it's quite rare to have an independent film make it to a silver screen out at the Stadium 10 Theatre in Farmingdale (Long Island), NY. This place normally shows nothing but blockbuster, action-packed, shoot- stab-and-ask-questions-later thrillers. It must be a slow season in Hollywood because here was this honest-to-goodness art house film in a theatre that didn't require a ride on the LIRR into Manhattan to enjoy. Imagine that. A good movie where nobody dies or takes off their clothes...okay, scratch the take off their clothes part...we like those movies every now and then.
This was fascinating but depressing film about a college professor who unwittingly finds his Manhattan apartment occupied by illegal immigrants from Syria and a Senegal. Rather than toss them out on their asses, he offers to let them stay until they can find a new apartment. Walter Vale's decision would change his life forever.
Our decision to take in this "adult" film? Not so much.
But there we were sitting in a fairly crowded theatre of 70-somethings, wondering what we were in for. How's that for an adult film? We had to be the youngest couple in the house.
We sat way up in the back near the projection room in a dark corner of the theatre. After we settled in, I lifted the arm rest between us so we can sit close together. We shared a huge bottle of water, Milk Duds and Nestle Crunch Bites. When the movie got under way, Skippy leaned in and gave me a kiss on my cheek, resting her head on my shoulder.
Then she starts to chuckle. By the placement of her hand on my thigh, I'm thinking that she's up for some risque, public display of affection.
Skippy: Sorry sweetie. Not here. Why waste the $23.50, when we could have just stayed in the car and done that for free?
Me: So, what's so funny?
Skippy: (Snickering), I feel like we're on a senior assisted living field trip.
Me: You're so childish sometimes.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Sounds like you had a great date. I hope you made it home by curfew.
ReplyDeleteThat is very heart warming, and up lifting. I am currently loading up on muscle relaxers. Drinking my God Moximon's Venido Alcohol and getting ready to go swimming. I hope that you and your friend always have a relationship like that.............God damn not one misspelt word, and I've had 5 shots, and 10 20mg tensil...I am a fuckin' pro. Thank You Moximon
ReplyDeletePeace and Freedom
Oh, man, Spartacus, you reeled in a winner with Skippy! That's both touching and funny.
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Tengrain
Wow, you just unleashed a ton of memories for me. Date night at the movies, it still sounds good.
ReplyDeleteBoy, no in-depth movie review, no "Dear Penthouse." Color me disappointed! ;-)
ReplyDelete$23.50 for TWO tickets? Holy hell. My wife and I try to grab the early shows when I'm off and that runs about $10 total. Sure, it's Noo Yawk, but man, that's brutal!
That's hilarious. I hope you at least enjoyed the movie. The last time I was in a geriatric film environment was a matinee showing of Brokeback Mountain during which Nomans and I spent most of the time giggling and snorting into our hands as one offended patron after another stormed out of the theater. I still think I missed more of that movie than I actually saw.
ReplyDeleteWe hardly ever go out to the movies anymore unless it's something we don't feel like waiting for on dvd - last was 'Sweeney Todd' and before that 'No Country For Old Men'.. I smiled at the middle-aged couple behind us waiting to buy tickets and the guy looked at me and said, 'or old women either'. Smartass.
ReplyDeletePiNYC - We had a great time...but I have to tell you, what happens in Lindenhurst, stays in Lindenhurst.... ;-)
ReplyDeleteTengrain - She makes me feel like Lou Gehrig...like I'm "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."
PoP - Nothing like a date with your best gal or guy.
Randal - You want a Penthouse letter? I'll tell you what, let's do a new story meme that asks our fellow bloggers to add parts to a letter to Penthouse. You up for it? Let me know. As for the $23.50 for the tix, unbelievable, huh? It was 10.50 a piece for the tix and a $2.50 handling fee. Totally worth it if you know what I mean.
Alecto - The movie is quite moving. However, your Brokeback Mountain story sounds even funnier. Far be it from me to pick on our elder brethren, but nothing cracks me up more than watching older folks become indignant over social issues that were formally taboo.
Susan - I have to admit that guy's comment made me snicker, too. But you know the saying, "what comes around, goes around"? You and I both know that karma will catch up to his ass and place him on a movie line next to snotty teenagers while he's sitting in one of those motorized wheelchairs.
AmHilll...shit I almost forgot your comment... sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked the story. But I hear muscle relaxers and swimming don't mix. I hear it's the equivalent of being fitted with a pair of cement shoes. Peace and Freedom to you, too.
A handling fee for a movie ticket? Nickel and dimed, indeed.
ReplyDeleteAnd that's not a bad meme idea!
Hey, just a quick 'happy holidays$stuff to y'all in Noo Yawk....
ReplyDelete(gees, I got the spelling from Randal...howza ya really spell it?)
you mean people go on dates on Long Island............
ReplyDeletemovies are cheaper on LI, but the dates are probably so much nicer
Randal - Yeah...but we purchased them over the Internet. Sometimes the fee is worth not having to deal with the aggravation of waiting in line for tickets.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Penthouse meme...I'll start it, but I'm crediting you for the idea and tagging you first....
okjimm - thanks man. You got the phonetic spelling correct. You can now graduate on to using street names like Houston (pronounced "House" ton) and Third (synonymous with taking a dump outside New Yawk).
DCap - LI dates have been known to happen. They're like UFO sightings -- you'll never believe it until you see it for yourself.