Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Father Doesn't Know Best

Yeah...we're both Mets fans and we're representing the Red Sox this year. So what? It's not like he's playing for some other team like the Indians!

These shots are from last Sunday's game. On the left, Rick and I were having a little strategy session over near 3rd base, while the Pirates were making a pitching change. I asked him to try and steal home, on next wild pitch because our team was only up 6-4. Given the way we were hitting, I figured we needed to score more runs anyway we can.

Rick argued that he should stay put at third and let the new pitcher try and get out of the jam on his own. "If he's wild, I'll walk right in. If he's not we still have the bases loaded for the top of the lineup."

I was unbowed. I insisted on the steal.

He listened to me and took off for home when the Pirates pitcher uncorked a wild pitch. The ball hit back stop and bounced a foot from the catcher who was waiting for Rick as he chugged for home.

Walking back to the dugout, he shot me glare that said "I told you so." When the frame ended without any more runs scoring, I got a "Nice job, Dad!" from under his breath. He was pissed.

And he was right. I should have listened to him about not stealing home. My blunder allowed the Pirates to climb back into the game and tie it up in the 6th inning. The game ended in a 6-6 tie because of the time 2 hour and 15 minute time limitation. We could have won the game.

I tried apologizing to him after the game because he seemed pretty upset. He wouldn't let me. He gave me a hug and said, "It's just a game, Dad. You did your best."

Then he asked me for a few bucks for some candy and a soda.

What? Did you think he'd let me off the hook that easy?

13 comments:

  1. A little role reversal there after the game. He's telling you that it's just a game instead of the usual parent trying to console the kid with those same words. That's cute as can be and sweet too.

    That candy and soda money was a given all things considered.

    You have a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great kid you have. I hope you coughed up the candy money,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, what's wrong with the Indians? Besides that wretched Chief Wahoo. Good to see that he's competitive but not a loon like some of the parents I've seen at their kids' sporting events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PoP - Humbling was more like it.

    Thanks CDP! Yeah..I gave him the money.

    RG - There's nothing wrong with the Tribe. I was just tweaking you man. As far as being competitive, I'll say that he loves the game and plays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You better watch out he will turn out as stubborn as you or he one up you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He cut you slack, Spartacus. He could have asked for a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wyld - Thanks for the tip. Let's hope he doesn't.

    PiNYC - Yeah. You're right. I may not be so lucky next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can guarantee that you won't be so lucky if there is a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PiNYC, You'll get no argument from me on this point. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DCap - Indeed I am.

    Scarlet - Thanks. But he gets none of it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome boy, Pana.

    Stuff like this makes me miss New York. ALL true Mets fans are also Red Sox fans. It was cool beating them the way we did in 86 but they were the last team any Met fan wanted to embarrass.

    Plus, the Sawx have the best yahoodie in baseball since Shawn Green -- 1B Kevin Youkilis.

    Spartacus will back me up on this. South of 42nd street to the Battery is Mets territory, along with most of Queens and Brooklyn and maybe half of LI. EVERYWHERE ELSE IT'S ONLY YANKEES.

    I hate Rudy Giuliani's Girls but I love their stadium and I think that New York baseball is kind of robbing Peter to pay Paul with both the Mets and the Yanks getting new parks. People are fond of Shea but every Met fan will agree that it's a terrible place to see a game. It's way too big and the sight lines even from field level are terrible.

    So, I'm happy about Citi Field because it looked cool in the scale models I saw awhile back. But I don't see how anyone can improve on The House Ruth Built. Other than to expand the league and put a new team in there! And Rudy's Girls can go about their business in the Mosholu Park area with their luxury boxes and suburban fans and no public transportation.

    At eight years old, my son has learned everything I can teach him about playing baseball and more. He's already a better player than I am. I can't pitch like he can. He can throw it into a thimble from 60 1-2. And he has really small hands so he has to grip the ball with 4 fingers and the action he gets with that grip is SICK.

    My dad who played one season for the Yankees in A-ball coaches him one-on-one but his coaches in the league and in the 1/2 year indoor clinic are fantastic.

    All really good HS and college players from the Heights who are great teachers, love to have fun with the kids, take a lot of stress away with jokes and a mellow attitude.

    This league is pretty competitive and my boy expects a lot of himself so I really couldn't be happier with the way he's being coached. It's kind of a burden in a way to play short, bat leadoff and because his ability so far outstrips his size (he is tiny!) there's a lot of attention on him.

    But these coaches really lighten it up for him and I've noticed that he's gotten way EASIER on himself since the season started.

    And as far as spoiling children goes. My father and I spoil him crazily with toys and games and candy and all the stuff he likes. I just know I'm lucky to have a boy because as he gets older the stuff he'll want relative to what a girl will want is huge.

    What are the most expensive things he could possibly want? A guitar? A set of golf clubs? I think you can buy like 10 pair of the hottest Nike sneaks for what a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes cost. I feel for fathers of girls in that way for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...