Sunday, March 23, 2008

Life Like A Pair of Chucks? Not Quite.

I laced up my hi-top Chucks yesterday. I can hardly remember when I last wore them. I brought them for a 80s theme party that E. and I were invited to by my ex-boss back in 2006. I was totally decked out in 80s regalia right down to the tight-fitting jeans, sleeveless T-shirt, this wig......And, of course, the Chucks. It's embarrassing to dress like an Ozzie Osbourne caricature, but I had fun.

I let the Chucks just sit there since the party, occasionally moving them from one side of my closet to the other, yet that didn't stop the dust from collecting on the black canvas surface. I'd been meaning to wear them for so long, but I just didn't. Yesterday, I finally said, "what the fuck" and laced them up.

Not a good idea.

For starters, they were a pain in the ass to get on. Unlike hi-top leather sneakers or a regular pair of shoes, where you can slide into them on hands free, putting on chucks takes effort. You have to deal with the floppy canvas surface and then lace 'em up tight to support your ankles. Taking them off is no easy effort either. Where leather sneakers and shoes simply slide off, chucks have to be unlaced, loosened, and pried off your feet.

They felt comfortable at first and very light on my feet. But as E. and I worked on cleaning out our yard and front lawn of last winter's debris, it became increasingly apparent that these shoes are not made for that kind of work. We spent almost the entire afternoon yesterday in 55 degree weather raking and burning up branches, twigs, dead grass, and so many acorn shells, I was amazed there weren't any squirrels laying out on our property enjoying a food coma. I swear I felt every fucking pebble and acorn through my soles as if I were walking barefoot. And there were millions of them.

The brilliant ideas still poured on. Because it was a beautiful afternoon, I took Chester to a nearby dog run, so he can socialize with other dogs. Of course, I was still wearing the chucks and the gravelly, shit-laden surface of the run made my back yard seem like I was walking on smooth pavement. Do I need to mention that Chester hated the dog run? He did. For a dog that loves to bark and snarl at other dogs while he's on a leash, I could not believe how much of a wuss he was off it. Or maybe he's just a loner? I digress.

Despite the discomfort, I drove home in them, gravel and shit notwithstanding. And that's where they stayed for the rest of the night. They just stopped bothering me.

I'm not really sure what connection there is between my wearing a pair of Chucks and to life in general. On the one hand, this choice is one of thousands I've made in life that didn't work out as I had intended. When I put them on in the morning, I liked the idea. The Chucks looked cool. When I took them off at night, my feet were hurting and I was saying never again.

On the other, all of life's decisions don't carry equal weight. There are some where the wrong choice can lead to a spectacular fuck up and years and years of regret. That wasn't the case here. After the Chucks were off and placed back in the closet I was thinking that there are worse things I could do....

Like wear that wig again in public.

18 comments:

  1. Chucks as a metaphor for life...?

    That's how they fit back in the day too. They just take getting used to (maybe a bit longer than the accoutrements of today that we are used now to) and then it's all about one's commitment to walk the walk in the Chucks.

    I'm not sure how to interpret that. I just channel Chuck Taylor from time to time. I prefer it when it's eating ice cream and listening to Rum DMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you Frieda, even I admit that the connection is a stretch. After all these years of wearing Nike basketball and running shoes, I'd forgotten what it feels like to wear chucks. I grew up wearing them because a) they were inexpensive and b) because it's all my parents could afford.

    I also wore them during my short-lived rock band days because...well...they were cool.

    Yesterday. I wore them out of sheer stupidity. You're right. You simply have to walk the walk in the Chucks and given that I wore them the whole day, I think I acquitted myself quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am stuck at the hair part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I figured alot of people would be, Fran. But it's okay. I have a real good laugh with it, too. Sometimes we need that...si or no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spartacus -

    My admiration for The Ramones ended with wearing Chucks. I have always hated them, and I always will. They make your feet look big, no one can walk in them without tripping, and as you say, getting them on and off is a pain in the tookus.

    Maybe this is an East-West coast split thing. I just don't remember them being a big deal out here. Even in my punker days, it was white leather kicks. Always.

    Regards,

    Tengrain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liked the wig a lot.

    I don't remember chucks and I was in a punk band but it was 1979 and I don't remember much of the 80's. Oh wait, when I was a kid they called them "Cons". They have no sole support and that's why your feet were hurting. It's like life, you need some sort of soul support or everything just hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I concur.

    Don't wear the wig again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I've seen the feet, the chucks, the dog and the fire barrel (?) but I'd really like to see the wig on your head. Just once? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mullet man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chucks are still cool in the city. See them fairly often. That said, I never owned a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tengrain - Maybe it is an East-West thing and I would imagine the Ramones are, too. I mean how does a West Coaster get into "Rockaway Beach"? It's a unique experience tied to place. I agree. I hated wearing the chucks on Saturday. But I've been known to change my mind.

    Liz - I remember calling them Cons. But that was when I was in living in Manhattan. It changed to Chucks for me when I was living in Queens hanging out with my punk friends (c. 1981) in my tight red Lee jeans and black Chucks? Cons? I'm so confused.

    Wyld - I promise I won't wear it again.

    Susan - That was me in the photo, in case you were wondering. So, I guess your wish is granted? If not, I can send you the whole stash, you'll just have to make a private request....

    Frogette - Yeah I loved the mullet, too...in 1987. But that year ended for me in 1987.

    gmb - Chucks are cool, when you're not walking on the moon like I was this past Saturday. But don't take my word for it. A $20 investment will find a pair on your feet and they go well with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, here's my two cents worth on this. I say donate the shoes to the thrift shop and maybe someone who needs them will get them. That way your choice back in 06 will be the right one for that person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But don't donate the wig. The world doesn't need another Motley Crue tribute band.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PoP/RG - I'm keeping the Chucks and wigs. You see, the problem is not necessarily in owning the items, but the decision making process of when to use them. There's nothing wrong with the shoes. I just need to remember not to have them on when I'm working in the yard. As for the wig, hey, ya never know when you're going to need a good disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. and there I was thinking it was Ozzie :-) in his prime..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spartacus: You must have bought your Chucks a while ago, because, my friend, I believe they are closer to $40. I'll check them out. Thing is, um, I'm flat footed (family trait) and wearing a shoe without support doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. do not bring that wig into manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  18. gmb - i recall the Chucks costing $20. Maybe they were on sale. I brought them at Famous Footwear.

    DCap - Noted. No wig in Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...