For the longest time I've been wanting to write a post about the awesome snowball fights I took part in as a kid. I'd been waiting for that right moment to write about the epic battles between the kids from Lillian Wald and Jacob Riis Houses. I wanted to recount the glory of charging South across East 6th Street as the snowballs were flying to get behind the "Wald" lines and route them from their positions. Oh it was glory alright. That is until our feet got cold and someone said, "this is stupid. I quit."
It dawned on me that I was making false analogies of my snowball fighting experiences as a kid to war to score a humorous, if not hyperbolic point. Let me explain.
These snowball fights took place outside the Boys Brotherhood Republic club -- known to most in the 'hood as the BBR. After a heavy snowfall, it didn't take long for the fight to begin once the BBR closed its doors for the night. As we walked out ready for "battle", one of the counselors -- be it Fred, Sonny or Richie -- would warn us about the dangers of throwing snow balls. "Those things are ice," they would say. "Someone could lose an eye." They were right, of course, but we tossed them anyway. No sense in wasting good packing snow. And, as far as we knew, no one ever had lost an eye.
But memories can be a tricky thing, particularly the further we move away from them. In the 1970s, it was simply a good time. East 6th Street -- the block dividing the two housing projects -- was not seen as a war zone. Our battle gear was not cammos and kevlar, but parka overcoats with faux fur on the hood, a wool seaman's cap, and a pair of warm water-proof ski gloves that looked like surplus of NASA-issued moon gear. We did wear combat boots, though; but these were the steel-tipped kind from Army-Navy store that my parents could barely afford.
It just didn't seem right to equate snowball fights with actual war, particularly when we we've lost many good men and women in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Now I'll be the first to admit that I have and affinity for war movies and books. Some of my favorites are The Longest Day, Platoon, and Saving Private Ryan. I've read The Art of War and several books by the military historian, John Keegan. I loved watching The World at War documentaries and was glued to the TV set for Ken Burns' The Civil War. I'm drawn to these war stories because they talk to my testosterone-laden, "Spartacus" side. I find stories of heroism, courage and self-sacrifice irresistibly appealing in the way a moth is drawn to a bug light.
But this vicarious war experience comes nowhere close to the real experience of combat. I've never had a bullet whiz past my ear or felt the concussion of a roadside IED. I've never seen a bloodied mangled corpse or heard the anguish cries of the mortally wounded. After my snowball fights, I walked home with my limbs attached, with my sanity intact, and with the knowledge that a warm bath and a cup of hot chocolate were waiting for me. I know what a snowball fight is. I don't know combat.
And not from a lack of trying either.
I've known several combat veterans in my life. Most were more than happy to recount everything I wanted to know about their time in the service. I learned about the units they were in and where they served. I heard all about the rigors of basic training and all the fun they had on leaves. But when the subject got to killing, you could hear a pin drop. "Let's talk about something else," they would say.
I can't say I blame them.My father-in-law, John Nilon, who died in 2001, was just such a man. He fought in the Second World War and one of my favorite stories he told was when he was busted from sergeant to private by his commanding officer for smoking a cigarette on a pile of live ammunition. He served in the 821st Tank Destroyer Battalion (attached to the 29th Infantry Division) which fought it's way through the hedge rows of Normandy in the weeks after D-Day.
He told me about the time he lost some of his hearing when his tank was hit by enemy fire. But it wasn't until a few months ago that I learned he won a Purple Heart. You get one of these for being wounded or killed in battle. He was proud of his service, but he never talked about the killing. Again, I don't blame him.
After all, isn't that what war is really about? Killing? Regardless of whether the fight is justified or not -- whether the reason is "to protect us from our enemies", or to "steal their oil", to the men and women in a combat zone, there's no glory in the fight. Even the combat veterans waving to us in Memorial Day parades from their perch in the Cadillac convertible would just as soon keep the memory of cutting down an enemy with an M50 to themselves. What they would probably say is that war is not fun; that there is no glory in battle, and that snowballs are not bullets.
As I wrote this, fellow blogger, Wyldth1ng, was on the back of my mind. I know he's there doing a job for which he volunteered, and I am honored by his courage and grateful for his sacrifice. But if it's all the same to him, I'd rather say this when he's stateside after we run the neo-conservative cowards from office. Get home safe Wyld. There's a frosty one here in New York with your name on it.
***Update 1/14/08 - 7:54AM****
It never snowed last night. Not one flake. I wish I could say the same about the war.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Great post. My grandfather won a Silver Star in WW2. He was a very talkative man (downright garrulous as he got older), and he talked about his daily life in the Army all the time, but we never knew what he'd done to earn the Silver Star...he just wouldn't talk about that part of his war experience.
ReplyDeleteno snow
ReplyDeleteno snowballs
no war...
great great story and post
i think i told you my dad flew over post-bomb Hiroshima several times when he was stationed in Japan in 1946.... while he took pictures he really doesnt like to talk about it
CDP - I don't know if you're aware of this, but your grandfather is in some elite company. The Silver Star is awarded for "gallantry in action against an enemy". The quotation is from Wikipedia. As I scrolled down, I noticed that this award isn't given out too often. Thought you might be interested in this link.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Star
DCap - You may have. No matter, I can see why he wouldn't want to talk about it. In fact, if that were me, I wouldn't want to talk the sight of it either.
DCup - That is an amazing story. As my post details, my father-in-law's unit saw much combat action, some of it in the Ardennes Forrest where the Battle of Bulge took place. My father-in-law told me that at one point, the German SS soldiers were killing Allied soldiers and using their uniforms to infiltrate units. That said, it's easy to see why Mr. Miller worried for life.
Great post. Hey, a snowball fight is a snowball fight. I certainly got involved in a few as a kid, and I come from a family where the military wasn't a tradition or an option, for that matter. Flat feet and bad sight...the whole lot of us. That said, I have a friend who had a good buddy who served in Vietnam. He came back, but was never quite right. Sure, he got his law degree and practiced, but he also drank himself to death. My friend told me that once he was in the jungle and literally came face to face with the Viet Cong. It was him or the other guy, and he had to shot him. They were inches away from each other. He got the shot off first, but he didn't walk away without injury. It's filthy that those who seem to love war never have served. Makes sense, of course, but it's just filthy.
ReplyDeletePiNYC- Thanks so much for your poignant comment. You nailed exactly the point I was trying to make in this post. I really hate it talking to these war "buffs" who relish stories of battle, but never consider the human toll of war or the historical context of war. I get a sense sometimes, especially from the Rumsfelds and Cheneys that war is just something soldiers do, yet neither of these guys would be caught alive on a front line of any combat theater. I have a better word for those "filthy" bastards -- cowards.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't expecting my name on the post, thank you.
I suggest Band of Brothers, an HBO special.
WT, I am so glad you posted a comment on this post. Really, I was thinking of you the whole time I wrote it because you are over there doing a job you took on voluntarily. I am indeed grateful.
ReplyDeleteI don't know the circumstances on how you got into military service, and if the mood ever strikes you, please feel free to click on the e-mail link in my profile and write me the story. I'd love to hear it. But know that I am angry at those war "buffs" who've unnecessarily placed in you in harm's way. Again, I wish safe travels home.
BTW - I saw the Band of Brothers HBO series. Loved it.
Such a wonderful post. You have such a talent for combining great storytelling with relevant topics. So much more meaningful and beautiful than my incoherent ramblings!
ReplyDeleteGreat, great post. I'm with you. It's often hard to reconcile my love of military history and certain films with the idea that war is, indeed, hell, and that I've never even come close to actual combat of any sort save 6th grade schoolyard fights.
ReplyDeleteMy grandfather fought in WW2 and died while I was still a young dude, so I never really had the chance to ask him about his experiences. I know my father-in-law was in Vietnam and simply won't discuss it.
Suzi- There is nothing incoherent or rambling about what you write. Your words speak to truth in a way that many in our midst, but are too afraid or unwilling to admit. Keep ranting sister. It's doing us all a world of good.
ReplyDeleteRandal- I agree, which made this post so hard to write. I've been struggling with this post for a long time and quite frankly, I still feel like I missed the mark somehow; that because I will still watch war movies and documentaries, that somehow I am reveling and relishing the sights and sounds of killing from a very safe distance and with an almost apathetic detachment. I'm not, of course, but from a "safe and detached" distance, I don't appear to be any different from the wingnuts proponents of perpetual warfare who always cower from the real fight.
I too love a good snowball fight, but even more I love paintball.
ReplyDeleteWhen I lived in Florida, we got our entire staff together and went to one of those paintball places.
I tell you, there's something very satisfying about being able to pop a "cap" in your supervisor's ass knowing it's just a "game."
Actually, I think they should do away with guns, tanks, and such, and issue paintball guns instead. That way people could work out their anger, and aggression, but still be around to go have a beer or two afterward.
Fairlane, as much as I hate to say this, I am envious of the fact that you popped a cap in your boss's ass. I could think of a few bosses I would have liked to cap. But I digress. Your point is well-taken. Let's find less lethal ways to kick the shit out of each other. I'm just a bit dubious about the prospects of that ever happening; ever hopeful, but dubious.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Spartacus.
ReplyDeleteAs for war movies, my favorite my just be "Full Metal Jacket"... I just love that movie.
Ah! Posted my comment too soon-
ReplyDeletenice h/t to our man Wyld!
Be home soon Wyld!
Now Fran, you surprise me. I would not have you pegged as someone who likes war movies. But since you've mentioned that flick, I have to tell you that one my favorite parts is when the drill sergeant wakes up the barracks singing "Happy Birthday, dear Jesus."
ReplyDeleteI think I prefer "The Thin Red Line."
ReplyDeletefairlane - Thin Red Line is one of those movies that had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Saving Private Ryan. It's a good movie, but SPR was just that better IMHO.
ReplyDelete