What can be better?
When I woke up this morning, I was excited to see the snowy white stuff on everything.
Awesome. I'm a really big kid when it comes to snow. I just love it. The love goes back to my days in Manhattan when a snowy day was cause for celebration. There were snowballs to make and chuck at the passing City buses. There were the inter-housing project battles that were nothing short of re-enactments of the Battle of The Bulge.
But today? The only bulges battling were the old men were the ones who hit the frozen tundra of Baylis Elementary School on Woodbury Road in Syosset, NY.
They were there for one thing. Snow Football.
It was the yellow pinnies against the blue pinnies. It's always that way. Usually it's seven or eight players to a side, but today the crowd was a bit light. Wussies. This is the type of day that makes all the other Sunday mornings we play worthwhile.
It was a back and forth game. My team - the yellows - were up 2-0, then we let the blues claw back to 2-2. We went back up 4-2, then 5-3, only to give up the lead once more. I caught the touchdown that made it 6-5, but two minutes later, I blew the zone coverage. Score tied, 6-6.
It's now Noon. The score tied. We're cold. Then Artie yells out, "one more possession each." Three passes later, we score, then we hold, the way the Giants did against the Bears tonight. Game over. Yellow wins 7-6. Then after the game we're all smiles, even if we are a bit banged up.
It was a great game guys. See ya next Sunday!
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Is that what global warming has done to snow?
ReplyDeleteToday, I roamed around town in my shorts but after last weekend in Chicago it seems like summer.
So I guess the Giants are even over the last few meetings but I held no hope that the Bears would actually win. They will have to win 4 in a row for my Algebra classes' prediction (9-7) to be correct.
Okay, Mathman. Two questions come to mind right now.
ReplyDelete1. Who do they play down the stretch. If it's the Vikings, they're toast because that is one super hot team right now.
2. What do the students of your Algebra class stand to gain (win) if your prediction is off?
1. The Bears play the Redskins,Packers,Vikings and New Orleans. 2-2 at best. Toast!
ReplyDelete2. The only thing the students have to gain is my happiness which means a better grade for them.
Spartacus, you clearly have too much time on your hands...I'm going to fix that right now...tag, you're it!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYeesh! Leave it to the mothers (CDP & DCup) leaving comments to ruin what was a perfectly good snow football experience. LOL!
ReplyDeleteMathman-The game of football is as much about keeping the faith in your team as it is keeping their stats. Every game on the schedule is winnable for Da' Bears, especially the Green Bay game now that Farve is injured. I think they have a good shot at 3-1 the rest of the way if the Vikings stay as hot as they are. 4-0 if the Vikes win streak ends up being a mid-season flash in the pan. As for your students, I say fail the buggers if Da Bears miss the playoffs. ha ha.
I was thrilled by the snow too. The neighborhood gets really quiet, and the loft takes on the feel of a cabin somewhere on a mountaintop.
ReplyDeleteMorse - Don't you just love the calming effect that snow has on the city? Hope you and the Morsel got out to play in it.
ReplyDeleteIf you're a "really big kid when it comes to snow", you should come here to upstate New York. It's been snowing steadily since Sunday.
ReplyDeleteDS, if I am ever come up your way, I'll let you know and we'll play a game or two.
ReplyDelete