I had a problem walking the straight and narrow as a kid. I just couldn't do it. In this day and age, I would have been considered a "special needs" child, diagnosed with ADHD and any other mental disorder worthy of a seat in a smaller classroom, a daily ride on a short bus, and a year's supply of Ritalin.
Until I entered 1st Grade in Our Lady of Sorrows (Roman Catholic) School in 1969, I was a cute kid.
Before then, I was known to get in all manner of trouble. Don't believe me? Ask my older brothers. They'll tell you. One of them once found me with my head caught in a wrought-iron fence begging to be let out of jail. Another time, I walked out of my kindergarten class at PS 140 to hang out with my brother George's 7th grade class because I was bored. What boy wouldn't get excited by a bunch of giggling and fawning pre-teen girls?
But life completely changed for me in September 1969. I no longer got away with the same crap I did the year before. Discipline was the order of the day, and no form of misbehavior would be tolerated. I got no quarter from Sister Patricia who did not appreciate my "artistic need" to draw my sentence-ending periods the size of golf balls. Nor would my brother Joe tolerate my wanderlust. He walked me to and from school every friggin day with his hand gripped around my neck for two years until he graduated OLS.
For the first time in my life, I was learning those lessons that can only come through the experience of pain. I've already described the physical kind. Now let me tell you about the emotional kind how I came to know the joy and the pain of love....
The little girl you see seated in front of me in this 2nd grade class photo is Maria. I fell in love with her on sight the school year before. This photo does her no justice. She was stunning. However, being the naive young lad I was, I simply had to tell my family about my new special "friend". Big mistake.
For the next two years my brothers teased me mercilessly about my "relationship" with Maria. As teasing often goes, the more you cry the more it happens. My mother would intercede every now and then with a well-meaning but ineffective "déjelo quieto." But recall that this is the same mom who wanted to me experience the pain.
Still I would not be denied my huge crush on Maria, even after she left our school following the 1970-71 school year. In fact, I never really got over her until I penned this poem a few years ago.
Johnny and Maria
Oh what cruelty it is
To have an unblemished six-year old
Find the first love of his life;
To see his vision of beauty standing before him
In all her honey-haired, blue-eyed,
Forty-pound splendor.
Oh what horror perpetrated
On that poor young boy
To have his brothers learn
Of his new-found love;
To suffer the taunts of “Johnny and Maria”
And shrink in the embarrassing truth.
I know that booger-nosed kid.
He still cries somewhere
In the depths of my past;
Not just from the hurtful teasing,
But from the immense loss he felt
From the day Maria left his school.
Damn his brothers, all of them,
For making him keep quiet and
Filling him with shame.
He never shared with Maria
His longing feelings and
How she made first grade bearable.
I’m not exactly sure how
A kid so young
Can be so passionately resolute;
To stamp a petulant foot
In the face of so much hurt
And hold true and faithful
To such a fleeting dream.
So…Jesus can come back to life,
Moses can part the Red Sea,
Mohammed can command mountains to move,
But a six-year old discovers love –
An angel sitting two rows over –
And it’s not possible?
In the end, we believe in
Those miraculous notions that ring true.
Yours are in gods and prophets;
Believable absurdities from centuries past
That hold on strong
For the irresistible promise of heaven.
Johnny's is Maria.
And tho’ he knows not
The state of her Grace
She lives on in that place
Where he goes
To find the joy first love brings.
(2005) All rights reserved.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Oh first loves as little kids. Such a sweet time of life.
ReplyDeleteAs a little girl, I was so shy and fearful that I never got in trouble but I also probably never had as much fun as I could and should have either.
Beautiful poem. My husband's a relentless tease with our 6 year old, but even he's been sensitive enough not to tease him about his crushes (which are many...our boy loves the ladies).
ReplyDeleteCDP, Thanks. But please tell the husband to leave the 6-year old alone. He may grow to resent it over time and start writing poetry about his angst.....
ReplyDeleteOkay, I take that back. Keep teasing. The world simply does not have enough poets.
i could do a west side story song right now
ReplyDeletebut i won't...
what do they say about first loves.. and my father said the school across the street was Our Lady of Perpetual Bingo....
DCap, are you sure we're not related? OMG, I used to run from the living room screaming every time "Maria" came on during the annual TV screening of West Side Story.
ReplyDeleteChino! Kill me too Chino! (and later)
Are there enough boolits in de gun to kill all of you and me, too?
That flick haunts me.
Wow- what an amazing post and poem. I have come to expect delight here and I am rarely, if ever, disappointed.
ReplyDeleteOh Maria. Such feelings at such a tender age. Pobrecito Spartacuscito and his tortured soul. That sounds way more mocking and I mean it to be sweet. That needed clarifying.
Thank you for this. Plus I love the image of you with your poor self stuck in the fence. How did you get out?????
p.s. btw i am in receipt of your email. as if, as if... that is all i will say right now. somos juntos amigo. diferencias? claro que si, diferncias grandes, pero amistad es amistad. lo siento, mi espanol es mal, pero tu entiendes, no?
Fran, all I remember if my dead being stuck. I don't remember how I got out. I'll need to ask my brother Joe about that one.
ReplyDeleteAs for the poor soul of Spartacusito, el pobrecito del barrio, he does not feel mocked at all. ha ha. Tortured still, but mocked? Nah.
Glad you liked the poem.
Nifty poem.
ReplyDeleteI am the youngest, so I can relate.
Thanks wyld...I'm the youngest boy in my family. My sister is actually the baby. Boy, did we get away with alot of shit.
ReplyDeleteThe most beautiful sound i ever heard
ReplyDelete"maria, maria,maria,maria. All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word Maria etc.
I guess "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it.
I can't think of a way to justify my relentless teasing. Never had a clue of how deeply you felt in the first grade no less. Very touching poem little bro. I admit now 40 plus years later I was a jerk. I hope you can forgive me.
P.S. I simply had you stand up were the bars separated enough for your head to get through.Love big bro joe
Welcome bigbrojoe. No apologies necessary on the teasing. But, if you must know, I did cringe when you opened with the lines of that song.
ReplyDeleteFran, now you know how I was "furloughed" from those wrought iron bars.