Friday, December 21, 2007

All Aboard the 6:17AM to Penn Station

There's never a dull moment about the 6:17AM train to Penn Station. Every Monday through Friday -- except on days when I don't feel like dragging my ass out of bed so early or going into work -- I hook up with four of the nuttiest people I know.


There's Pat, a dysfunctional IT Auditor just like me who always sits next to my pal, Jack, the Empire State Building's coolest union plumber.




To the right is the day school Italian teacher from Sicily, Maria. She's the Christian who celebrates Christmas in December, but says Jesus' real birthday is in September, and then covers her ears and yells "LA LA LA I"M NOT LISTENING!!!" whenever me and Jack decide to trash the Bible.


Rounding out our intrepid quintet is Carmen, a residential property manager, who just happens to be a fellow Puertoriqueña (living in Lindy, no less), who was unavailable the day these shots were snapped for the 6:17 train's year book.

What makes these morning ridings so entertaining is that we have no shame or limit on the topics we choose to riff on. It's like a Linda Richman's Coffee Talk...

Talk amongst yourselves...



We always do.

The other day the topic was hermaphrodites. It all started with a comment Jack made on why he takes long morning showers: "I like the way the water feels on my penis", to which Carmen followed quickly with, "I like the way it feels on mine, too." This led to speculation on exactly what kind of "package" Carmen is packing, "Hey! Hermaphrodites are people, too," I shouted.

Yikes! You would think that a bomb like that would lead to a subject change. But no. Carmen chimed in a few moments later with a story of her niece, who recently informed dear 'Titi Carmen' that "I have a vagina, but my brother doesn't. He has a penis." This spawned school teacher Maria's story about a bathroom show-and-tell incident in which a little girl proved to a little boy that she had no penis. "So how do you go?", the little boy asked. Could there be a more vexing question?

But Carmen simply couldn't leave well enough along. She had to tell us a story about a lesbian that lives in one of her buildings, who is the mother of two kids. Quipped Carmen: "She must have a had a thing for penis at some point."

Me: Yeah. Or maybe she just asked a man to leave a ....ahem...deposit? What wonders one can achieve with a turkey baster.

All this before the sun even rises.

As I ponder whether Jamie Lynn Spears was proving to Casey Aldridge that she is indeed penis-less or showing him how she goes (maybe she was working wonders with a turkey baster), I leave you with this gem from Melanie Safka. While you're listening, stop on over at Politits for the Big "O" celebration and make some noise.

5 comments:

  1. i havent heard that song in years.....

    riding the LIRR is a lot more fun than riding the F train.......i dont think i could take pictures of the riders.......

    have a grat holiday and we shall plan to meet after NYears

    be well my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. For all the talk about how awful commuting is, I have had some great times with it, not unlike your little group.

    I think it might be hard for those of you in blogland, who get in your car to go to work, to imagine this scenario.

    But there you are- it is not even 6.30am and a group of people are yukking it up on the train.

    I used to be part of a group like that too. In the evenings we would have train parties... Cynthia would bring vodka, I would bring cranberry, Steven would bring wine because he liked that, Roberta would bring ice and Ray would bring chips or some other snack.

    I would love to sit in on your little posse one day.

    Fran

    p.s. what am i, chopped liver? does anyone want to see me after the holidays? oh no nevermind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DCap, right back at ya pal. You have my e-mail address now, so we'll be in touch soon for a get together.

    Fran- Of course we want to see you after the holidays. You presence in any possible fete amongst the NYC bloggers is implied. It would not be such a gathering without you. As for riding the train with us, the more the merrier. I would love nothing more than to fill an entire car on that train ride in and turn it into one huge party. Now wouldn't that be fun?

    DCup, you are welcome. Like I told Fran, I wish all of you guys could take just one ride with this intrepid crew of ours. Really. I do this story some injustice because I've forgotten some of the funnier and more scatological threads we've riffed on during our ride. Did I mention they gave me more shit than DCap did about my love for Maria. I'm waiting for them to start calling me Tony. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spartacus: Sounds like you have a great group of commuter friends. Isn't it amazing that you never know exactly when or how, but somehow you find people who you like wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...