Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Why Cheer When You Can Play?

Nothing sets the Girl off like telling her that cheerleading is not a sport.

It's not.

We've been having this on-and-off again feud for the last few years. We'd state our thesis, offer rebuttals, then toss out the questions. I like to think that I am training a future jurist or simply teaching a young woman to stand her ground. But she's only 15 after all, and if you've ever tried debating a 15-year old, it always goes swimmingly well until something -- some statement -- causes it to end with a yell for "MOMMY!!!!!!" I'll get to why later....

Right now, I want to marvel at the fine argument The Girl has constructed for why cheerleading is a sport. Her position is anchored by the fact that cheerleaders compete. Agreed. If you've ever had the pleasure (or misfortune) of sitting through one of these events, you'll know the competition is as fierce as any sports contest; the routines are as choreographed as any Broadway show; the training and physical skill needed to compete even at the high school level is incredible. There's no doubt that cheerleaders are athletes. But cheerleading is not a sport.



My counter is that it's more like a form of competitive dance, in the way that figure skating and gymnastics are. Yes, I know that the last two examples are Olympic "competitions", but unlike a sport, in cheerleading one is judged on aesthetic qualities and not one's ability to race against a clock or juke a defender out of his or her Chucks on the way to an easy hoop. Cheerleading is not a head-to-head competition in the way that "sports" like football, basketball, and hockey are....



My friend and former co-worker Tracy said it best. She is a former Division 1A college cager (that's a basketball player) who knows a thing or two about sports. A few years ago, when I mentioned to her that the Girl was interested in cheerleading and wanted to try out for the high school squad, she shot back, "Why Cheer When You can Play?"

My sentiments exactly. In fact, it's the statement I use to inflame the Girl to the "MOMMY!" point whenever I feel I need to end the debate. Who says we can't learn something from neo-cons?

To all you Ariannas and Craigs out there, I say this: if you want cheerleading to be a sport, allow an opponent to make funny faces at you while performing your routine; allow your opponent to hit you with a tumbling body check while performing your stunts; allow the other team to hold their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA LA...I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!" while you vocalize your school spirit. Then, and only then, will I consider cheerleading a sport. Until then, shut up, lace 'em on, hit the hardwood or the turf, and play. That's what I did, and look how far it got me.









12 comments:

  1. I'd go even further and say Golf, NASCAR, Bowling, and Pool are not sports either.

    Golf, bowling, and pool are games like Tiddly Winks or Monopoly.

    NASCAR? I'm not sure what in the hell NASCAR is other than morbidly dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly Fairlane. I really couldn't give a shit about sports in general. However, my daughter's misperception is that if you partake in a competitive physical activity, it's a sport. In that sense, one could call prostitution a sport because, theoretically, they compete physically both in and out their hourly-rate SRO space for johns and their money. What's the diff, right?

    This comment should tell you how serious I am about the question of cheerleading as sport. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Spartacus, I just had the most fascinating insight about you.

    What took me so long?

    Have you read any Carl Jung? We must discuss.

    Sport schmort- this is interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the distinction between the fact that she IS an athlete, but that it's NOT a sport. For me, the dividing line is subjective vs. objective. A sport is objective...whoever scores more points during the alloted time or number of innings or sets or periods wins (and I know that there's a subjective element in that there are officials who make calls, but systematically, it's objective). Anything that's judged is a COMPETITION, not a sport. Swimming, sport. Diving, competition. Great post, and good luck arguing with a 15 year old girl. I was one once...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll tell you another "sport" to avoid.

    Ballet.

    My ex was a professional ballerina, and although I think it is a beautiful art form, it can seriously warp people's minds if they are not centered.

    In a way, it's almost like being a fashion model. Very superficial, and your clock is always ticking.

    Most of her friends were already finished by the time they hit their early thirties, and it devastated them. They'd spent their entire lives doing this one thing, and then POOF, it's over.

    One guy was still hanging around the ballet although he'd retired ten years prior. He just couldn't let go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My niece was a high school cheerleader and to her is was more like gymnastics. She never thought of it as a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bush was a cheerleader
    that says it all......

    i will agree with Fairlane -- NASCAR maybe the worst definition of sport there is....and they are mostly Bush supporters.

    as for sports in General --- the first thing i do when i buy the NY Times each morning is take out the Sports section and toss it in the garbage --- without reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay Fairlane...I got back to your comment. Onto the others.

    Fran - I've never read Carl Jung, but based on your comment something tells me I should. In fact, I'm almost afraid of what your insight might be... hmmm.

    CDP - Believe it or not it took me a while to make that distinction, which should clue you in on truly clever the Girl's argument was at first. I had to think long and hard on how to counter her "it's a competition" argument. She tells he mother and me she wants to be an elementary school teacher. That's great. I can just imagine a moment now as she teaches her 1st graders the finer points of discussion and debate.

    DCup - Thanks for that old school perspective. You and E. should get together and swap cheerleading stories. She remembers the days when it was just about...cheering. As for the injuries, I think it's part and parcel of the athleticism needed for this "cheer" competition. While the Girl never got injured during her one year of HS cheering, she told me many times how the general snottiness of her "teammates" turned her off. She sings in the chorale now and is interested in theater. Of course, she's pretty damn good at debating her points, too.

    PO Pat - You niece has the right perspective on the matter. It is another form of gymnastics. Unfortunately, she is in the minority.

    DCap - You can always give me the sports section if you're not using it. I'll read it then use it to pick up Chester poop when I'm done. As for Chimpy McCheerboy, nice connection...but I think my daughter would have made a fine President had she stuck with the cheering. NASCAR? feh! There's got to something hypnotic about driving around in circles because it certainly isn't an athletic activity.

    All - thanks for commenting. The Girl will be saddened to know that her argument did not win in this forum. But she is a winner in our hearts, right?.....right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything good has already been said here as to why cheering isn't a sport. But definitely encourage her to think she's an athlete--because she is. But I agree with your cager friend--why waste time on the sidelines? If you're an athlete, get out on the field! Cheering is just a patriarchical construct, a way for men to feel their women suppport them in their crypto-gay, slap-guys-on-the-ass games.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DGuz-

    Thanks for stopping by. Who says everything good has been said? Especially after dropping this gem:

    Cheering is just a patriarchical construct

    I really never thought of cheering in that way. Wow! What an on-target statement to make. I need to bring that one back to the Girl and let her chew on it. Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. D-CAP you're right to throw the TISSUE OF LIES' sports section in the garbage but while you're at it you're best off tossing the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...