When I was a a kid, I would get strep throat quite often. The fevers, the aching, the flaming red throats were such a common occurrence with me, one could assume that I was carrier of this ailment; the Typhoid Mary of throat infections.
And each and every time I got sick, my mother would be there to take care of me. She would always make me a lemon rind broth sweetened with honey when I told her my throat didn't feel well, and, then, the next day, would keep me out of school and trudge me to the pediatric clinic at Gouverneur Hospital where she worked as a nurse's aid in their OB/GYN clinic. There I would visit a wonderful doctor with the surname Behrouzi.
Judging by the name, I imagine that the good doc was either Iraqi, Iranian, or Turkish, but his nationality is really of no import. He was a sweetheart of a man to whose care my mother trusted my throat infections and any other ailments I contracted. But as wonderful Dr. Behrouzi's bedside manner was, I came to dread the "strep throat" visits because it usually meant a shot of penicillin in the ass with a very looooooong syringe. Well, what I remember may be far from the reality, but the pain I recall tells me it was a big fucking needle. Ouch.
To hear Mom tell the story, I would literally cry a river at the prospect of getting that
ass shot. In hindsight it seems rather ridiculous to cry over a two-second shot of penicillin, but I swear to you that each one felt as though the nurses were plunging the syringe into my ass cheek then rotating it back and forth to make sure it scraped against as many nerve endings as they possibly could without making me lose consciousness. Trust me, waterboarding is a softball Q&A session compared to this torture. In fact, when I told my mother this past Friday that I would be writing a post about the penicillin shots, she said in Spanish "don't forget to write that it took three nurses to hold you down." As much as I want to, I didn't forget that part, Ma.
There is a point in retelling this story. It's that through all the pain and suffering I've endured in this life -- and I'll try and keep my perspective here because I am cognizant of those who've endured much worse -- my dear mother was always there to comfort the pain, but never one to keep me from it. In fact, this was always Ma's MO with any situation I needed to deal with. Whether it was praying the rosary or suffering the occasional strapping from my father or having my tender heart ripped out by the latest love of my life, she would always let me get my ass kicked first, then pick me up and dust me off. I could never thank her enough for doing that.
The truth is, I never fully understood why my mother was this way. I never found her love to be lacking in any way, and as mothers go, she was as tender as any normal mother would be with her kids. Whenever, you asked she would let you rest your head on her lap while she scratched your scalp and sang a lullaby. And like most mothers, she would always defend you in public and chastise in private -- that is, unless it was a school setting, then all bets are off.
But unlike most mothers I observe these days, including E., she was never one to shield her children from those events in life they needed to face. For me, those events included getting my quarterly ass shot of penicillin as a kid, and, later on in life (age 19 to be exact), making me call a doctor to get treatment for the clap, after a night of unprotected, drunken sex with a girl I barely knew. When I called to make that appointment, not only did I suffer the embarrassment of telling the doctor's assistant and the doctor what was wrong, it took another shot in the ass of antibiotics to clear it all up. When I got home from the doctor, she slapped my upside my head and told me I was an idiot for not using condoms. As an OB/GYN nurse's aid at an inner city clinic, my mother knew more than she let on about STDs and unwanted pregnancies, yet she never felt the need for any pre-emptive chastising. I know for certain that she would have done so had she understood in 1983 the devastation that HIV would wreak on the world, but hindsight is always 20/20. She always did the best she could by us, and still does.
She much older now and becoming more frail with the passing years. My irrational hope is that she'll live forever, but the reality is she is in the twilight of her years. These days when I visit her and my dad down in Central New Jersey, she's still the first to greet us at the door and stuff a $5 bill into the grandkids hands, even though she probably can't afford it. After she's told us the latest family saga and served up a huge plate of arroz con gandules, she would retreat to her bedroom to watch her "telenovelas" on one of the Spanish-language TV stations or watch re-runs of Bonanza on TV Land to re-live her crush on Michael Landon (Little Joe).
Despite her frailty, the sparkle in her eyes gives testament to the spirit of her being. One look into those soulful brown eyes, one affectionate scalp rub, one lilting lullaby is all the comfort I need to assuage me for all the shots in the ass I've taken lately, and for all the ones I've endured on my way to being a grown man. I can't thank her enough for all she's done for me, and somehow telling her "thanks alot, Ma" just doesn't seem to cut it.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
That is a fine post, Spartacus, and it reminds me of how my own father instilled a sense of responsibility and independence in me by not holding my hand throughout my childhood; instead he'd sometimes push me out the door and let experience be the guide.
ReplyDeleteIt may have seemed a bit harsh at the time, but I'm grateful for the lessons it instilled in me.
You are fortunate to have such a mom. My own is the opposite. It's a long story and not a happy one in my case. We do have one thing in common. I got those damned shots too. I don't know how many people it took to hold me down, but I know I didn't give in easily.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Dcup, I hope you let her read this. Beautiful post, and best wishes for good health for your mom.
ReplyDeleteThanks all. This post was a long time coming for me. Seeing her over the Thanksgiving holiday gave me the final push I needed to get it out.
ReplyDeleteMorse - Experience is always the best guide, but as a parent the one thing I learned from my mother is to be there when the kids come back with their stories.
PoP - I am fortunate and all same sorry your experience does not match mine; except for the ass shots of course, which I would only wish on Messers Bush and Cheney.
DCup/CDP - You two ought to look at yourselves in the mirror sometimes. I think you'll find that you're both wonderful mothers and that it is your perceived failings and imperfections that make your children love you so. Anyway, they have no choice but to love you...you feed them. 'nuff said.
This is beautiful- really moving. I can tell, I'd like your mom. And she did good with you, mi hombre.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a great video you have chosen for this post too. Excellent.
I like that your mom had you face things, that is what helps you today.
Time to go back and reread. How did I miss you on my earlier blogread today?
Espero verlo pronto! Talvez viernes? Hehehehe! Yo se, yo se- nos vamos a la casa de Morse juntos.
Dude, I had to wipe a tear of sentiment from eye after reading your post. But I tend to be more sentimental and judgemental of my father than my mother. So in a way because of birth order (5/6) I only recall her loveable quirks and not the legacy she's left me.
ReplyDeleteSparticus, the love that's in you for your mother comes through so clearly.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure she knows, but it can never be expressed too frequently or in too many ways. My parents have both passed on, and I miss them terribly. Seize the opportunities while you can.
Peace.
CR-I carry the love of my parents in my heart everyday and I know that I will miss them terribly when they finally pass on.
ReplyDeleteBut my dad did make me smile when I went down to see him last week. He said to me, I am not afraid to die. When I asked him why he said something I've been saying to myself for the last few years, I've seen and done it all and I am happier for it.
spart
ReplyDeletei hope you parents know how lucky they are to have a son like you.....
as for those telenovelas --- i can tell you all about novelas....
8-)
DCap- thanks for the compliment. I think I know how they feel about me. I feel the love. In fact, last Friday, my mom and dad handed me a birthday card when I got to their house. Because I am an incorrigible jokester, I opened the envelope and shook the card to see if anything falls out. I do this all the time, even to E. Wouldn't you know that two $50 came flying out. I looked at my parents with that WTF look because they are both on fixed pensions and I make a pretty good salary. Clearly, I don't really need the cash.
ReplyDeleteMy dad gave me a stern look that said, if you don't take it, I'll be insulted. E., who was on the sidelines watching this unfold, proceeds to pick up the cash, kiss my mom and dad, and to me she says, "Oh good. Now you can take me out to dinner."
Once again, I've been humbled.