I love words. I'm good at the English ones. I'm getting better at the Spanish ones. I know a bit of Mandarin, as in "Nǐ hǎo ma" or "hello". I think. I have a friend of mine on the train who is trying to teach me Italian. Every morning when I catch the 6:17AM to Penn Station from Lindenhurst, there she is greeting all of her train friends --including me -- with a cheerful "Buon giorno!" I even know a bit of Thai -- that land where almost everyone's name has a "porn" suffix, as in Phanporn. (Man that always makes me snicker in humor.) But Thailand is one of the most beautiful lands I've ever laid eyes on, so it always gives me great pleasure when I can join my palms, bow, and greet a local with a sawat-dee-kaa (for female) or a sawat-dee-khrab (for males ...this one also makes me snicker because it sounds like "crap" when you hear it).
Lately, though, one word has been tripping me up time and again. It's the word ken. This also happens to be the name of someone for whom I reserve no cheer, which may explain why I keep lacerating my linguistic knees and elbows every time that word comes to mind. But he's not the topic of this post. Still there's the tripping.
So, I dusted myself off bandaged the wound, and went out to get myself a definition. Here's what I found from dictionary.com:
knowledge, understanding, or cognizance; mental perception: an idea beyond one's ken.
2.
range of sight or vision.
–verb (used with object)
3.
Chiefly Scot.
a.
to know, have knowledge of or about, or be acquainted with (a person or thing).
b.
to understand or perceive (an idea or situation).
4.
Scots Law. to acknowledge as heir; recognize by a judicial act.
5.
Archaic. to see; descry; recognize.
6.
BritishDialectArchaic.
a.
to declare, acknowledge, or confess (something).
b.
to teach, direct, or guide (someone).
–verb (used without object)
7.
BritishDialect.
a.
to have knowledge of something.
b.
to understand.
Once I read this, it hit me. There is just so much shit I don't understand about this world. Language aside, there are some concepts that simply escape me. To use ken in a sentence, there are some things in this world, that are beyond my ken.
Religion is one of them. I was once a practicing Catholic, so I think I know a thing or two about faith and believing and living for an afterlife in heaven. Conceptually, I get what Catholicism is all about, but even as a Catholic it never failed to stump me, why so many Catholics get hot and bothered by people who don't believe the same way. Take for example this story in Long Island Newsday in which a local retired fireworks company executive living in Patchogue, NY has made it his business to fight the "secularization" of Christmas. To wit, "We are bringing Christmas back to Long Island," says M. Philip Butler. I ask, aren't there better things to do with one's time in retirement than worry about the fate of a holiday co-opted from the Druids? Like many "downtowns" across the U.S., Patchogue's is hurting, and all this wingnut can think of is how his dear holiday was stolen. Way above my ken.
Consumer debt is another. When I was a kid, my parents were quite "frugal" with household finances. As the parents of seven, hungry growing kids stuffed into three-bedroom Manhattan housing project apartment, I could see now why my mother would tell me, "Oh, it's just a small hole. Keep wearing them," when I showed her how worn the bottom of my Pro-Keds were. They managed quite nicely because they based their purchases on need. Moreover, they did what few people do these days, they prioritized those needs so that a pair of new sneakers didn't keep us from going hungry. Let's face it folks. We are not any richer than our parents were in the 1970s, 1960s or 1950s. In fact, we're probably poorer now when you consider how devalued the dollar has become. What I don't understand is that if we are sooo fucking poor, why do we accept being chastised and negatively "scored" by credit rating agencies for not carrying some kind of debt; as if paying cash for something were some form of scarlet letter. As more and more people default on jumbo mortgages they had no business taking in the first place, and with the holiday, "Christmas" season approaching, it perplexes me how these Visa commercials are still on the air. Is carrying mounds of unaffordable debt just to move quickly through a convenience store the apogee of out existence? I don't get it. I have no ken for this one.
Finally, there's this gem from the sands of Saudi Arabia, where the authorities there jailed and whipped a 19-year old woman for being a rape victim -- you can read about it here. When she and her lawyer complained about the injustice of the charge and sentence, the Saudi courts "upped" the sentence. This woman was gang-raped by seven men, and because she broke some Islamic law about hanging out with men not her brother or husband, she gets tossed into the klink, too. The worst part in all this is our own government's reaction in which they "expressed astonishment" though not directly to the Saudi government. And don't kid yourself into thinking that a Democratic President would react in the same way. Sure, Hillary Clinton talks a good game in debates and on the campaign trail, but if she's elected President, her administration will be sucking at the Saudi oil teat just like every other one has since the 1950s. What perplexes me is not so much the inhumanity and barbarity of the sentence, but the hubris of the Saudi government to defend the actions of their courts. I know it's a "cultural" thing in Saudi Arabia, but so is female genital circumcision in parts of Africa. Calling it a tenet of culture does not make it right. Yet, it persists. This is so beyond the ken for me.
There is so much more in this world that I simply do not understand. Someday, I'll write about them here. For now, I suppose I should just shut the fuck up and listen more to what people are trying to tell me -- at home, at work, or wherever I may find myself . But there's this nagging little thing inside me called a conscience and sometimes it needs to speak up before it gets kenned by subjective insights. Sometimes, I have this need to call it like I see it. Sometimes, I need to say, "Ken, you're full of khrab."
I loved reading this post. You and I don't agree on matters of faith except in that we seem to share the idea that others should be able to practice or not practice according to their beliefs as long as they don't get in anyone's way. Don't get me started about Saudi Arabia. (and I know a Thai girl named Pimporn. No lie). Happy Thanksgiving!
CDP-We can agree to disagree on faith. I'm cool with that. It's what's supposed to make this country great. I'll try not to get you started on the Saudi rape thing. I have a feeling that would open up a huge can of kick ass on somebody. And you have to admit that Thai names make you snicker, right? (he he...her name has "porn in it...he he)
CR-I'm not sure if I was pimping it as much as trying to get it out of my system. It kept coming to me like one of those bad pop songs from the late 60s and early 70s. It was kind of like a one word version of "The Night Chicago Died."
Ken means yes in Hebrew. It is also the name of my nephew and the name of his son.
However, your use of the word is better than all of that!
BTW, before I move on, ken is yes and lo is no.
I do have one thing I might challenge (although I think the fireworks guy sounds like an asshat) and that would be this... "I was once a practicing Catholic, so I think I know a thing or two about faith and believing and living for an afterlife in heaven."
I think you might want to rethink your choice of words. You and I are both in complete agreement, I believe, in the notion that many practicing Catholics (not to mention practicing whatevers of any tradition) might now know a single fecking thing about anything.
What you know or don't know may not have that much to do with your Catholic upbringing. Yes? Or should I say, in Hebrew, ken?
What you know, as I understand it, is based upon your search for truth and answers. And yes, I would say, as someone who as actually met you, that you know a lot.
Practicing religion and faith are two completely different and distinct things. One would hope that they would meet frequently, but sadly they do not.
Note, I add this as someone who purports to do both.
And I am pretty big on living well here and wanting to do so when I get there.(o that afterlife thingy!) And I can't wait til we are both there (humor alert) and we can look back and compare notes.
Well Fran, it appears you've hit upon a point with your comment. In response I say that regardless of how much truth searching I've done in this life, I can no more escape my Catholic upbringing as I can the Earth's gravity unaided by rocket power. I wish I could dodge the raindrops of the first 41 years of my life, but this is how it worked out for me. Hopefully, the next 40 or so years will push whatever Catholicism I was raised with into a Alzheimer-like stupor.
As far as meeting you in heaven? I doubt that will ever happen. I am betting on black baby and that means we simply die when we die. If you happen to be right, well then there's a white room filled with hermaphrodites singing "Seasons in the Sun" looking to seduce me for eternity. It's called hell.
I dinnae ken nowt, but...FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, MI BRO-THER! Y de tu vaina en mi blog, pue'...? Estoy esperandolo...
My favorite Russian oath: "Pizdiets". "Pizda" is slang for womanpart. "Khoui" for men's. So the direct translation of "Pizdiets" is "cunt-up" or "cunt-over-head", meaning a total disaster. Best Panamanian for the same is "Lechugo". "Leche" (milk) is the basis of it and it's kind of the same as a "suck-out" in poker, like losing a huge hand on the last card and the essence of it means getting hit with 10cc in the face but it's also supposed to sound like "lettuce" for vaht reason, I dinnae ken...
Kelso-thanks for the birthday wishes a new words. I really like Pizdiets and may use it on some people I know. As far as the Kelso's Nuts post, it's next in my queue. Right now, because it is my birthday, I am working on a tribute to my dear Madre que me trajo al mundo.
"What perplexes me is not so much the inhumanity and barbarity of the sentence, but the hubris of the Saudi government to defend the actions of their courts."
Quite a sentence. Let's see. You understand the inhumanity and barbarity. That alone is worthy of an explanation. But you do not understand the "hubris" of the Saudi government.
First, "hubris" is the wrong word.
Second, the entire issue and episode is perfect in its consistency and cultural symmetry. Saudi Arabia is governed by sharia law, the law set down in the koran. There are no disjoints or disconnects anywhere in the proceedings of the court or the government, which is the theocratic embodiment of islamic belief.
The residents of Saudi Arabia and other muslim theocracies live by the decrees purportedly uttered by a schizophrenic madman 1,400 years ago. This realization goes a long way to explaining why the islamic world is a couple of centuries behind the advanced nations.
How is the use of the word "hubris" wrong? You don't think it takes a great big set of big ones to defend rape? I don't give a fuck if it is consistent with the Koran. From my perspective -- and that's what this blog is completely about -- it's hubris.
Fran-you'll have to grab to the 2x4 that is your point and smack me over the head with it because I'm definitely missing something here. I don't want to leave you hanging, especially if it's a point you'd like me to address. Spell it out for me. I have no ken for it.
I guess it was not so much of a question but this... what does being a practicing Catholic have to do with knowing a thing or two about faith or an afterlife?
Signed, Curious
I feel like I am being a pain in the ass BTW, but if I am curious about just one thing related to you Spartacus, it would be the way that faith and religion seem to fused.
If I am wrong about this you can grab the 2x4. Please just don't hit me with it- I am a pacificst Christian! LOL!!
I see what you're driving at Fran and my answer is intentionally vague -- it has everything to do with it and nothing at all.
You see as a once-practicing Catholic, faith and religion were fused for me. Because I did very little Bible reading and was not encouraged to do so by my many parish priests, I had faith in what they were preaching was gospel truth. Through religion, I had faith in the Pope, and in Jesus and in God. That's the everything answer.
The "nothing" answer is that one can have faith in gods and prophets and whatever without ever riding in the vehicle of religion. Indeed, on can be faithful and follow no doctrine at all.
But again, I fall in the everything category because religion is I came to know what faith was and it was that "doctrine" that ultimately drove me from it.
So, thanks for picking up the 2x4 and letting me know the point I missed. Hopefully, I've answered it and I apologize for not getting it the first time. And, no, I will never bop you with a 2x4. Slappz maybe, but you? Never.
An act of hubris implies that suffering or punishment will follow.
However, the Saudi government and its court system will not suffer or face punishment for subjecting the rape victim to 200 lashes, which, by the way, might kill her. The country is operating according to its principles and beliefs, as codified by the koran. Thus, the government and courts did not act in a hubristic manner.
From our position as Westerners, we should hope that a government advocating the beating of rape victimes faces acts of overwhelming retribution. But these acts are part of muslim culture. Thus, no retribution is forthcoming, unless some external force delivers the blow.
The Ancient Greeks considered hubris a serious crime. Hubristic acts were identified for the penal code. But the actions in Saudi broke no rules. The actions carry out the law of the land.
However, if you want to know what constitutes an act of hubris in the muslim quarters of the world, examples are plentiful.
Defaming muhammad is always an act that will inspire retribution. Practicing a religion other than islam in Saudi is hubristic. Of course, we think such views turn hubris on its head.
You want to inject your moral sense into their moral structure. That is a common sentiment. But if you believe their morality -- as demonstrated by this act of brutality -- is perverse to the point that the society embracing this attitude needs restructuring, then you are making the case for the US military -- since we have few allies willing to stand with us -- to give Saudi Arabia the same treatment it gave Saddam.
Frankly, I'd knock out the leadership in Tehran before Riyadh.
Slappz- The American Heritage Dictionary defines hubris in the following manner.
n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance: "There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy).
In other words there is no presumption of violence on my part in my use of the word.
Further, it does not follow that I am making an argument to take out the leadership of Tehran or Riyhad by taking exception with their policy on rape. That would be like attacking Iraq because Sadaam Hussein was a threat to the US or that they had WMD, both of which have also been proven wrong.
"n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance: "There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)."
I stated:
"An act of hubris implies that suffering or punishment will follow."
In other words, just as McGeorge Bundy said, even though you arrogantly believe you are vastly more powerful than your enemy, your belief will prove false, and humiliation, suffering and punishment will follow.
Pride goeth before the fall.
Pride followed by a fall. That's the cycle of hubris. Arrogance alone is arrogance.
If you get this comment, you'll know I'm going through all your old posts.
This one got my attention because of the picture first, but then when I read it, I understood what you mean about hearing a phrase or a word and thinking "I've got to use that."
I've been thinking of the phrase "moves through the air" or "moves through the space" and "time stands still" and "bemused."
Now what to do with those phrases and words without cramming them all into one poem!
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
For anyone wondering..
-
I haven't stopped designing and making things nobody needs. I do it both to
amuse myself and to surprise myself. Their construction involves much
...
No. 159
-
bp 132/96 pulse 116 altered no. 159 women's pro 1/2 gmsr stage 3 VT116 at
Tyler Bridge Rd 09032023 10:32 am et... Hold that thought. I was late But
there w...
The GOP Weaponized The Tax Code…
-
…in order to fuck the Blue States and urban areas—in short…areas of the
country where their political opponents live. Today I used the tax code to
enrich t...
Day 166 and Counting
-
Source: Getty Images Well, it's been a long 8 months since the election,
and an even longer 5-1/2 months since Trump officially became president.
It's be...
Dancys Corner will be new and improved for 2015
-
Its been a while
The last few posts on here were articles that I wrote for The Utica
Phoenix. The reason I am not writing for the Phoenix now is simple...no...
My Confederate Flag
-
I have a Confederate flag in my basement.
No, it’s not hanging on the wall over my gun cabinet. It’s folded up and
wrapped in plastic in a box, along wit...
Invasions, what are they good for?
-
Iran: Warhawks and sending others to kill and die:
http://www.chris-floyd.com/Articles/2490-a-reasoned-response-to-a-washington-post-call-for-war-with-iran....
Where The Hell Have I Been?
-
I've been looking for an apartment while painters and contractors have been
crawling all over this house to prep it for selling.
I found a place and will b...
Flibberty-jibbet
-
I've probably lost all my followers by now, so I can write any damn thing I
want. And what I want to do is to complain. I want to bitch and moan.
I'm bo...
In the End, Aren’t We All?
-
“I’m not the kind that needs to tell you Just what you want me to.” Bernard
Sumner When I was a child, my second grade teacher told my class- “The
world is...
Jane Harmon to step down
-
Jane Harmon leaving Congress to become the next President of the Woodrow
Wilson International Center for Scholars. I'm sort of surprised, but it's
quite a ...
Six Things About Me You Wanted to Know
-
Thanks Spartacus!!
I need to tell all you people six random things about me. First, the rules.
I must link to the person who tagged me, post the rules on m...
I loved reading this post. You and I don't agree on matters of faith except in that we seem to share the idea that others should be able to practice or not practice according to their beliefs as long as they don't get in anyone's way. Don't get me started about Saudi Arabia. (and I know a Thai girl named Pimporn. No lie). Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteJesus Dude, that's deep. So much to mull over, and so well written.
ReplyDeleteThis post has some parts we share, and some well beyond my ken.
I too am a word guy, and this is one word I seldom use. Thanks for pimping it.
CDP-We can agree to disagree on faith. I'm cool with that. It's what's supposed to make this country great. I'll try not to get you started on the Saudi rape thing. I have a feeling that would open up a huge can of kick ass on somebody. And you have to admit that Thai names make you snicker, right? (he he...her name has "porn in it...he he)
ReplyDeleteCR-I'm not sure if I was pimping it as much as trying to get it out of my system. It kept coming to me like one of those bad pop songs from the late 60s and early 70s. It was kind of like a one word version of "The Night Chicago Died."
Spartacus- great post.
ReplyDeleteKen means yes in Hebrew. It is also the name of my nephew and the name of his son.
However, your use of the word is better than all of that!
BTW, before I move on, ken is yes and lo is no.
I do have one thing I might challenge (although I think the fireworks guy sounds like an asshat) and that would be this...
"I was once a practicing Catholic, so I think I know a thing or two about faith and believing and living for an afterlife in heaven."
I think you might want to rethink your choice of words. You and I are both in complete agreement, I believe, in the notion that many practicing Catholics (not to mention practicing whatevers of any tradition) might now know a single fecking thing about anything.
What you know or don't know may not have that much to do with your Catholic upbringing. Yes? Or should I say, in Hebrew, ken?
What you know, as I understand it, is based upon your search for truth and answers. And yes, I would say, as someone who as actually met you, that you know a lot.
Practicing religion and faith are two completely different and distinct things. One would hope that they would meet frequently, but sadly they do not.
Note, I add this as someone who purports to do both.
And I am pretty big on living well here and wanting to do so when I get there.(o that afterlife thingy!) And I can't wait til we are both there (humor alert) and we can look back and compare notes.
Or not, if your reasoning is correct.
Peace brother.
Well Fran, it appears you've hit upon a point with your comment. In response I say that regardless of how much truth searching I've done in this life, I can no more escape my Catholic upbringing as I can the Earth's gravity unaided by rocket power. I wish I could dodge the raindrops of the first 41 years of my life, but this is how it worked out for me. Hopefully, the next 40 or so years will push whatever Catholicism I was raised with into a Alzheimer-like stupor.
ReplyDeleteAs far as meeting you in heaven? I doubt that will ever happen. I am betting on black baby and that means we simply die when we die. If you happen to be right, well then there's a white room filled with hermaphrodites singing "Seasons in the Sun" looking to seduce me for eternity. It's called hell.
I dinnae ken nowt, but...FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, MI BRO-THER! Y de tu vaina en mi blog, pue'...? Estoy esperandolo...
ReplyDeleteMy favorite Russian oath: "Pizdiets". "Pizda" is slang for womanpart. "Khoui" for men's. So the direct translation of "Pizdiets" is "cunt-up" or "cunt-over-head", meaning a total disaster. Best Panamanian for the same is "Lechugo". "Leche" (milk) is the basis of it and it's kind of the same as a "suck-out" in poker, like losing a huge hand on the last card and the essence of it means getting hit with 10cc in the face but it's also supposed to sound like "lettuce" for vaht reason, I dinnae ken...
Kelso-thanks for the birthday wishes a new words. I really like Pizdiets and may use it on some people I know. As far as the Kelso's Nuts post, it's next in my queue. Right now, because it is my birthday, I am working on a tribute to my dear Madre que me trajo al mundo.
ReplyDeletespartacus, you wrote:
ReplyDelete"What perplexes me is not so much the inhumanity and barbarity of the sentence, but the hubris of the Saudi government to defend the actions of their courts."
Quite a sentence. Let's see. You understand the inhumanity and barbarity. That alone is worthy of an explanation. But you do not understand the "hubris" of the Saudi government.
First, "hubris" is the wrong word.
Second, the entire issue and episode is perfect in its consistency and cultural symmetry. Saudi Arabia is governed by sharia law, the law set down in the koran. There are no disjoints or disconnects anywhere in the proceedings of the court or the government, which is the theocratic embodiment of islamic belief.
The residents of Saudi Arabia and other muslim theocracies live by the decrees purportedly uttered by a schizophrenic madman 1,400 years ago. This realization goes a long way to explaining why the islamic world is a couple of centuries behind the advanced nations.
Slappz-
ReplyDeleteHow is the use of the word "hubris" wrong? You don't think it takes a great big set of big ones to defend rape? I don't give a fuck if it is consistent with the Koran. From my perspective -- and that's what this blog is completely about -- it's hubris.
Spartacus- you still did not really address my point, but that's cool with me.
ReplyDeleteFran-you'll have to grab to the 2x4 that is your point and smack me over the head with it because I'm definitely missing something here. I don't want to leave you hanging, especially if it's a point you'd like me to address. Spell it out for me. I have no ken for it.
ReplyDeleteI guess it was not so much of a question but this... what does being a practicing Catholic have to do with knowing a thing or two about faith or an afterlife?
ReplyDeleteSigned,
Curious
I feel like I am being a pain in the ass BTW, but if I am curious about just one thing related to you Spartacus, it would be the way that faith and religion seem to fused.
If I am wrong about this you can grab the 2x4. Please just don't hit me with it- I am a pacificst Christian! LOL!!
I see what you're driving at Fran and my answer is intentionally vague -- it has everything to do with it and nothing at all.
ReplyDeleteYou see as a once-practicing Catholic, faith and religion were fused for me. Because I did very little Bible reading and was not encouraged to do so by my many parish priests, I had faith in what they were preaching was gospel truth. Through religion, I had faith in the Pope, and in Jesus and in God. That's the everything answer.
The "nothing" answer is that one can have faith in gods and prophets and whatever without ever riding in the vehicle of religion. Indeed, on can be faithful and follow no doctrine at all.
But again, I fall in the everything category because religion is I came to know what faith was and it was that "doctrine" that ultimately drove me from it.
So, thanks for picking up the 2x4 and letting me know the point I missed. Hopefully, I've answered it and I apologize for not getting it the first time. And, no, I will never bop you with a 2x4. Slappz maybe, but you? Never.
Spartacus, you wrote:
ReplyDelete"How is the use of the word "hubris" wrong?"
An act of hubris implies that suffering or punishment will follow.
However, the Saudi government and its court system will not suffer or face punishment for subjecting the rape victim to 200 lashes, which, by the way, might kill her. The country is operating according to its principles and beliefs, as codified by the koran. Thus, the government and courts did not act in a hubristic manner.
From our position as Westerners, we should hope that a government advocating the beating of rape victimes faces acts of overwhelming retribution. But these acts are part of muslim culture. Thus, no retribution is forthcoming, unless some external force delivers the blow.
The Ancient Greeks considered hubris a serious crime. Hubristic acts were identified for the penal code. But the actions in Saudi broke no rules. The actions carry out the law of the land.
However, if you want to know what constitutes an act of hubris in the muslim quarters of the world, examples are plentiful.
Defaming muhammad is always an act that will inspire retribution. Practicing a religion other than islam in Saudi is hubristic. Of course, we think such views turn hubris on its head.
You want to inject your moral sense into their moral structure. That is a common sentiment. But if you believe their morality -- as demonstrated by this act of brutality -- is perverse to the point that the society embracing this attitude needs restructuring, then you are making the case for the US military -- since we have few allies willing to stand with us -- to give Saudi Arabia the same treatment it gave Saddam.
Frankly, I'd knock out the leadership in Tehran before Riyadh.
You are the man Spartacus.
ReplyDeleteI could punch a few holes in your logic, but will wait until another day to do so.
Please note my goal is not to proselytise or to convert, but to if anything, strengthen your own argument, should you have the interest.
Slappz- The American Heritage Dictionary defines hubris in the following manner.
ReplyDeleten. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance: "There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy).
In other words there is no presumption of violence on my part in my use of the word.
Further, it does not follow that I am making an argument to take out the leadership of Tehran or Riyhad by taking exception with their policy on rape. That would be like attacking Iraq because Sadaam Hussein was a threat to the US or that they had WMD, both of which have also been proven wrong.
Go ahead and punch holes Fran. I know you're not trying to convert or proselytize, and that you mean well; even if I am an atheist.
ReplyDeletespartacus, you defined:
ReplyDelete"n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance: "There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)."
I stated:
"An act of hubris implies that suffering or punishment will follow."
In other words, just as McGeorge Bundy said, even though you arrogantly believe you are vastly more powerful than your enemy, your belief will prove false, and humiliation, suffering and punishment will follow.
Pride goeth before the fall.
Pride followed by a fall. That's the cycle of hubris. Arrogance alone is arrogance.
It matters not to me what you are. I don't get extra credit for bringing others along. And even if I did, Frannie don't play that game!
ReplyDeleteWill I see you Friday?
If you get this comment, you'll know I'm going through all your old posts.
ReplyDeleteThis one got my attention because of the picture first, but then when I read it, I understood what you mean about hearing a phrase or a word and thinking "I've got to use that."
I've been thinking of the phrase "moves through the air" or "moves through the space" and "time stands still" and "bemused."
Now what to do with those phrases and words without cramming them all into one poem!