This post is coming to you late on evening of November 4, 2007, but it's been a long time coming. On this date in 1990, E. and I were married. It was a day not unlike today in the New York area, although I recall it being warmer. It was Marathon Sunday and the New York Giants football team was off (they had the Monday night game that year), so, I had no excuse for not showing up at the church. Anyway, how could any man get cold feel with a bride as stunningly beautiful as this?

It's 17 years later and we're still kicking it together. Though this date certainly wasn't as exciting as it was in 1990, we always seem to make the best of what the day gives us. Instead of the wild party on our wedding day that featured a kick ass band playing everything we asked for including "Love Shack" (I take full responsibility for making that B-52s song a wedding staple), we took care of a long list of chores and errands, listening to the music our kids enjoy.
Instead of hanging out in bed on Sunday mornings figuring out how we'll spend our day, we're drawing straws to see who gets up first to feed the dog, shower, dress, and pick up the bagels and the Sunday paper. We're trying to get our daughter to dance, 13 out of bed, and the little one to put some clothes on.
We don't live in an apartment apartment in Mineola, NY that featured the rumble and whistle of the diesels locomotives going to and coming from Oyster Bay, we live in a house with a nice sized back yard where we could still hear diesel locomotives go by on the Babylon Branch.
Clearly, many things have changed for me and E. But we still love each other and that's what counts.
Our wedding song:
The portrait in this post was painted by the artist Margaret Clark in 1991. I gave it to E. on our first wedding anniversary.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Congratulations, Spartacus and Mrs. E. Spartacus!
ReplyDeleteThat is so beautiful. I loved reading this!
ReplyDeleteThanks and so much happiness to you and E!
CDP & Fran-
ReplyDeleteThanks you much for your well wishes. Mrs. E. Spartacus thanks you too.