Thursday, February 12, 2009

How Shit Works - A Wing and a Principle

I still can't write about politics.

At least not now.

The Republicans are still bitching and moaning about pork even after the Democrats mollified them with a tax cut pacifier. I think I'll wait until the Obama Administration gets around to dealing with the rule of law. According to this post that Blue Gal put up a few days ago, I could be waiting a long time.

While I wait, I thought I'd introduce a new and irregular blog feature that helps me evacuate some of the useless information that clogs my brain.

I call it How Shit Works.

Click off now if you're not into techie stuff. While I consider this post very safe for work, I don't want to kill you with boredom.

Today's topic of conversation is flight. Specifically, what makes fixed-wing* aircraft fly.

* - Wings that are not supposed to move.

First, to answer the smart-asses reading this post, the not-so-subtle secret of flight is in the wings.

Well, duh.

While the first powered-flight did not take place until the Wright brothers did it in 1903 at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the principle upon which came fixed-wing flight is based goes back to the year 1725. That's when Daniel Bernoulli, a young-stud, Dutch mathematician, with way too much time on his hands found that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases.



Break out your calculators and do the math yourself. Here's the equation:


Where p_0\, is total pressure, q\, is dynamic pressure, and p\, is static pressure. Makes sense, right?

Okay, it will. Follow me on this. Will ya?



There are several ways in which to demonstrate this effect. One way is to move the fluid through an object with a constriction as illustrated on the left. It does not matter if the fluid is in a liquid state or a gaseous one. The effect is still the same.





What's more is that the same principle applies if an object is moved through the fluid, as in a wing through air. The curve on the upper half of a wing forces the air mass passing over it to move faster than the air beneath it, creating a pressure differential that literally sucks up the wing and all objects attached to it.

It should be noted that Bernoulli showed no interest in building a flying machine. The first practical application of his idea was used in measuring blood pressure in humans.

In the intervening years between the time Bernoulli published his principle and the Wright Brothers famous flight, countless people attempted to build flying machines, most of which were based on the way birds fly.

That's not to say that there were no important advances in flight in those prevailing years. Beginning in 1809, Sir George Cayley of Brompton, England, a wealthy landowner and inventor published three detailed papers explaining how it was folly for humans to try and fly like birds. He opined that in order for a heavier-than-air craft to achieve flight, the thrust and lift mechanisms need to be separate, and that the wings on the aircraft need to be in a fixed position.

This was a huge leap forward, but the idea never really took off until a German engineer named Otto Lilienthal developed a table of lift by curved wings in 1891. He borrowed heavily from Sir Cayley's ideas while experimenting with hand gliders. Sadly, Otto died in a hand-glider accident in 1896.

It was Lilienthal's work that influenced George and Orville Wright's success. What made their flight so special was they were the first to incorporate control surfaces that stabilized their airplane along three axis of movement, known as pitch, roll and yaw. As the illustration below demonstrates, the control surfaces on the horizontal stabilizer (elevators/pitch), the wings (ailerons/roll), and vertical stabilizer (rudder/yaw) help an airplane maintain level flight and allow it to directionally maneuver in flight.

It is the Wrights' discovery that spawned modern aviation.

Captain Chesley Sullenberger knows all about this principle. When his airplane lost thrust shortly after taking off from LaGuardia Airport in New York City, and realized it would not make it to another nearby airport, he turned Flight 1549 South with its ailerons and rudder to align it with the Hudson River. Then, using his elevators, he tilted the nose of the plane downward to increase speed, allowing the wings to do their work. At the last moment, he pitched the nose of the airplane up -- again, with the elevators -- so he can safely splash down onto the river and hydroplane to a stop.



Okay class. That's all for this installment of How Shit Works. Until next time, this is Professor Useless Information signing off.

17 comments:

  1. PPFFFFFFFFFFFFT...! I KNOW how wings work, duh!

    http://www.recipezaar.com/Good-Eats-Baked-Buffalo-Wings-284561

    really good with blu-cheese dressing, or Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okjimm beat me to it...I was going to say something about buffalo wings, which aren't much use to buffalo's because their wings are too small.

    Since I can't comment on the tech stuff,I can tell you that once I flew in a Cessna two engine plane when I was in Las Vegas (I have fam. there) and we actually flew inside the Grand Canyon. It was one of the last of the flights allowed inside the canyon because planes and helicopters were bumping into each other. Of course, the pilot didn't tell us that until we were flying around inside. If the pilot wasn't so damed good looking and he was the only one controlling the plane, I would have kicked his ass for not telling me upfront.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not useless at all. I love this. Wonderfully written. Thanks, Spartacus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much scorn as we heap on the Murkan people, and justifiably so, I'd wager they support actual criminal investigations of those thugs more than the Congressfuckers.

    We're going to let war criminals and spy programmers that would make Brezhnev weep with jealousy off the hook.

    Damn you politics!

    The science dumbs my already dumb brain, but you should do more posts like this, very cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. spartacus, I saw your comment on Blue Gal's site:

    "I was in India two years ago conducting an audit, when I read a story about a young couple that was attacked in a New Delhi park for showing a public display of affection. When I asked my audit liaison about it (a woman), she mentioned to me that these acts were becoming more prevalent because of India's growing economy."

    Did you ask her about the religion of those who were attacked?

    In the spirit of How Things Work, it's worth knowing how things work in India's muslim population, which is roughly 10% of the total.

    I'm betting the attack you read about was tied to Islam.

    On another note, if you're going to focus on How Things Work, take a look at Batteries. Then look at Solar Panels.

    Obama has half the country believing it's possible to power cars with batteries while using solar panels to generate all the electricity we might ever want or need. Too bad he's out of his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okjimm... you're right. Though that's for after your done using the wings for flying.

    Mary Ellen... planes and helicopters were bumping into each other? Did they crash? Seriously, it's probably a good thing that those flights were discontinued because it's probably very difficult to control that airspace. As for the pilot, once he's got your cash and you belted into a seat, is there anything you really can do?

    Thanks Pissed. I felt like I wrote an engineering 101 term paper. Of course, I get an "F" for not citing references. You won't rat me out, will you?

    Randal... man I hope you're wrong about letting those bastards go. The rule of law needs to upheld here. How embarrassing would it be if Bush or Cheney were tried In Absentia in some other country? We can't let that happen. As for the sciency stuff... I think I'll do one about the nature of sound... and why we love to rock on!

    no_slappz... please get a grip. First, I find it reprehensible that you would follow me from another blogger's site to comment on what I noted there. For the record, I did not ask her about which religion attacked which. In fact, according to the story I read, the perpetrators and victims were HINDI. As for your comment about solar panels and electric motors, are you suggesting George Bush wasn't? I'll bet you would have thought Kennedy was nuts for suggesting a man can be put on the moon before the 60s was done. Dude, you need to get past your hate for all things muslim and black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. spartacus,

    You're the guy who put the link to Blue Gal's blog in your post. I merely read the linked post at Blue Gal's site and saw your comment.

    Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, India has a muslim problem. Why do you think Pakistan exists?

    The day India got its independence from Great Britain, it gave Pakistan and Bangladesh to the muslims, who were as problematic to the Hindus as they have been to other non-muslims around the world. The fact that you are unaware of the socio-religious problems that exist in another country has no bearing on their existence.

    On the science side, there is nothing to compare between Putting a Man on the Moon and developing a battery that will hold as much energy as a tank of gas.

    We put a handful of people on the Moon. But, as we understand, there is no commuter run to the Moon coming up. A flight to the Moon is insanely expensive. That won't change.

    The Moon Shot was a vanity program and a warning to the Soviet Union. I'm thrilled the US was first. We've got bragging rights forever, but it did nothing for commercial industry.

    Frankly, Isaac Newton could have engineered the Moon landing with the knowledge that he gave us.

    But both super battery technology and super solar panels need the input of contemporary geniuses to make the leap to the necessary new ground.

    However, the payoff for developing a super battery and super solar panels is more wealth than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett can imagine.

    Record-breaking commercial success is waiting for those products. Therefore, government money will make little difference in the pace of development. Huge global markets already exist but technology is barely crawling in both fields.

    The Chevy Volt, which is supposed to hit the market in 2010, still needs a suitable battery pack. At this point it does not exist. But our president has spoken as though super batteries and super solar panels are here.

    That means he's irresponsible, misinformed and misleading the public.

    Hence, there's value in giving people the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. no_slappz.. at no point does this post invite the type political ranting you push here. Dude, it's ranting, plain and simple, and you know it. You constantly try and goad people into fights and arguments, but you're not going to get one.

    My post was NOT about my opinions on India. But, specifically, to my comment at Blue Gal's site, it spoke to what Hindi fundies do to fellow Hindis who have embraced more relaxed American mores. Got it? I said nothing about Muslims.

    Finally, I don't find the President's statements about solar and battery power misleading at all. You make it seem like the world's economies will come crashing down if he keeps touting those technologies. Yet, you remain silent about the criminal lies, treachery and distortions of the previous administration that did damage this nation. Again, you used my post as an excuse to pick a fight, this time on President Obama, but what you managed to do is expose yourself, once again, as a sad pathetic excuse of a human being.

    Go away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was very informative and I learned something I never knew. I happen to know that aircraft and flight are of great interest to you and that you have quite a bit of knowledge about it. Thanks for sharing this with all your loyal readers. I hope you don't quiz me on what we just learned....I'm sure i will fail miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thing is, Spartacus, it read so easily for someone, like me, who does not have an engineering background. Really. Well written and very accessible. That is a very valuable skill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If blogs had been around when my dad was still her he would have loved stuff like this. His coal mining stories were the best but there were multiple others - ships, electricity, hydro power. The boyfriends who got too bored were the ones I didn't see again. Dad was a clever man. So are you.

    I don't watch tv so thank you too for posting the 60 Minutes bit. It was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Skippy. I know I must have read it to you five hundred times before hitting the publish button. BTW... who came up with that principle again? (and don't peek).

    Pissed... I guess I should have disclosed that I graduated from Aviation HS in Queens, where I half my day, for four straight years, was dedicated to learning how to fix airplanes and keep them flying.

    Susan.. so I guess what you're saying is that me and your Dad would have become fast friends. I like the thought of that. Thanks. BTW. It was the 60 Minutes interview that gave me the push I needed to write this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In case you missed this little gem from Buffalo that was in the NY Post today:

    "'BEHEAD' NIGHTMARE

    "An upstate TV exec who set up a channel promoting Muslims as peace-loving people was stressed about his failing business in the days before he allegedly chopped off his estranged wife's head, a friend of the couple said yesterday.

    An order of protection barring Muzzammil Hassan, 44, from the couple's upstate home had been taken out by his wife, Aasiya, 37, less than a week before she died.

    The couple was in the process of divorcing after bouts of domestic violence, her lawyer told the Buffalo News.

    Hassan, who founded Bridges TV in 2004 to counter anti-Islam stereotypes following 9/11, turned himself in to cops Thursday in the Buffalo suburb of Orchard Park. Police later found his beheaded wife in the TV studios.

    He was charged with murder.

    You can argue that he is nothing more than a psychopath, but that would not explain his decision to behead her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't catch that in the Post, but then again, I never read it. The reason I never read it is because like you, they're only interested in picking fights and creating animosity and racial/religious divisions where none exist. Please, stop coming over to this site to pick fights. Once again, you've shown yourself to be a bitter, sad little man. Go away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. color me impressed. Oh, and rather than waste time with no ballz, just block the asshole. Life's too short to waste time on someone like him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. only slappz..

    you mean flapping my arms will not work

    ReplyDelete
  17. DCap... flapping your arms would work, but you'd need a beak, feathers, talons and powerful pectorals and triceps to get airborne.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...