Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Irish Wrist Watch

Try saying that fast five times...

Frustrating, right?

You can thank Noodle for that tongue twister. She got it off a Facebook bumper sticker.





But I'm not going to waste your time or mine writing about Irish wrist watches. I don't know the first thing about them, much less care that someone would ever consider wearing one of these watches.




Well, maybe the this guy would.


But certainly not this guy.




That's because Plaxico Burress showed up with his lawyer on Monday at the NYPD's 17th Precinct to get fitted with a set of matching stainless steel bracelets. He's been charged with possession of an unlicensed handgun, after accidentally shooting himself in the thigh in a club called The Latin Quarter. First, let me say this to Plaxico:

HA! HA! HA!

Dumbass.

Now for the serious part. Am I the only one who finds the hoopla generated for the antics of this petulant baby frustrating?

Yes, he was carrying a loaded handgun in New York City; a class C felony that carries a mandatory sentence of three and a half years.

Last year, nearly 1,000 people were arrested for the same charge, and yet, few if any, got the perp walk treatment like this:



And 90 percent of them didn't even get jail time.

When Handguns Are Accompanied by Stupidity, Anything Can Happen

What's frustrating are the priorities that politicians and the press place on idiots like this.

Can someone tell me why the Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg needs to take time from his busy schedule to make a statement about Burress the Menace? Sounds like political grandstanding to me. Judge for yourself.



C'mon Mike. If you're going to talk about violent felons and role models, shouldn't you have issued a public, televised statement condemning murder of NYCTA bus driver, and role model, Edwin Thomas, and offering sympathies to his family?



Let's get a little perspective here. Do you seriously think that Plaxico Burress is role model?

Plaxico Burress?

Era of irresponsible athletes is over

Regarding media coverage, it's excessive and needlessly so. I'll agree with Newsday columnist Barbara Barker on one thing: Plaxico Burress is irresponsible. In fact, he's a fucking moron and an embarrassment to his teammates. But is era of the irresponsible athlete is really over? And, while we're on that topic, was this story worth the four full pages of coverage in yesterday's edition?

Maybe Mayor Bloomberg and Ms. Barker need to get together and rethink their priorities. Plaxico's teammates have. The New York Giants are having an amazing season, no thanks to Mr. Burress. In fact, how they've handled Plaxico all season should be a model for all teams suffering petulant superstars: treat all players equally; mete out discipline equally; pay no attention to team cry babies.

The Giants are 11-1 this year because they have talented players who show up for meetings and practices on time; players who come prepared to play every down of every game; players who appreciate their celebrity status and minimize their drama.

Clearly, they would rather be frustrated by losing to this guy's beloved Cleveland Browns, than by Plaxico Burress. Who wouldn't be?

Not me. Not now. I've got my own frustrations to deal with, like trying to unravel my tongue after saying "Irish Wrist Watch" fast five times.

7 comments:

  1. Ha ha, we beat you! In the immortal words of the Magical Moustache, suck on that when you're celebrating another Super Bowl victory! HA HA HA HA - wait.

    Just another branch of our celebrity-obsessed culture, and Bloomberg proved that, unfortunately, no one is immune to its apparently alluring toxin.

    Like you, I'd rather talk football and not knuckleheads. The era of irresponsible athletes will be over when the era of irresponsible humans will be and that won't happen until we've gone extinct.

    I tried saying it five times fast. No success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. michael bloomberg just wants to distract everyone from the fact that his poll numbers have been sinking ever since he decided to do away with term limits (just for himself of course).

    he's such a legend in his own mind to think that he, and only he, is qualified to save nyc from certain financial ruin.

    he needs to buy himself another job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had it with dudes that make mega-money and fucking blow it by doing dumb-shit stuff.

    Plaxico, Mike Vick.... shit.. if you are so stupid to realize what you have.... I have no empathy for them when it goes away.

    and an Irish Wrist Watch... i wear a Swiss Army watch. Makes me think of chocolate and in a pinch I can open a can of beans with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randal... if the Giants win the Superbowl, I will look back at that loss and still ask WTF? But I am so proud of the rest of the Giants team right now. They are focused on football and proving to everyone that teammatters more.

    Anita... I am so with you on Bloomberg. As Mayors go, he's done a pretty good job in New York, but he's becoming like every other celebrity who believes a little too much of their own press. As I recall, back in 2001, he bitched and complained loudly about Giuliani wanted to stay on as Mayor. Funny how he's changed his tune now that he's on the outs.

    'jimm.. that point astounds me, too. Plax just got his deal re-worked to make more millions at the start of the season. I'd be a model citizen if I got that much cheddar. As for the Swiss Wrist Watch, chocolate and beer sound nice, but mine can peel a potato and make a fine sour mash with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so frustrating that these grown men get paid so much money to play a game and then act like jerks and think they deserve special treatment. Whats even a bigger shame is that many young boys look up to them and idolize them. Eventually though, most of these starry eyed kids realize the real role models are the people who make a difference in the world. Not the overpaid crybaby's whose job it is to entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to tell myself that Mike was getting all righteous because of his frustration over the crap he gets re. gun control

    I am so sick of millionaire asshats - in a world where teachers and healers struggle to make ends meet I have no patience for Buress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skippy...Charles Barkley the former NBA star once said, "I am not a role model." He pissed off lots of people when he said that because part of the sports marketing campaign is to create idols out of athletically-gifted human beings. They're people. They have flaws. And no matter how much they get paid to perform, the ratio of jerks to genuinely nice people will mirror the society art large. What's unfortunate is that it's always the je3rks that attract the most attention.

    Dianne... I have patience for Burress either and neither do his teammates. But it also irks me to no end when politicians like Bloomberg come off as high-and-mighty, sanctimonious blow hards I lose it. But I understand what you're saying about the Burresses of the world and the only way to change that is to stop supporting sports teams altogether. It's a stretch that such a boycott would ever get off the ground, but sports is no different than any other business in this regard -- choke off its revenue streams and it will go under.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...