I know that the shelf-life on the "shoe story" is about over.
But I'm very obsessed with it. Not so much because of the symbolism behind, the Iraqi journalist, Muntader al-Zaidi's,
act. He did it to express his outrage that George Bush could even show his face in a country he had no business invading.
I agree with the public consensus that this is a very strange and sad commentary of our nation's involvement in Iraq, and was not amused that President Bush got a rise from it after ducking two shoes aimed at his head. I'm sure Dana Perino didn't find the event amusing, considering the nice shiner she got out of the deal. I wonder if she'll file a claim with the Veteran's Administration claiming she was wounded in the line of duty.
I know what her boss would say to this: "So? So what?"
What I'm still trying to figure out is how Al-Zaidi missed. Twice!
I may give Muntader a call to discuss the finer points of shoe tossing. I know a thing or two about that.
You see, way back when I was a wee Spartacusito in kindergarten, I had this thing against taking afternoon naps. I hated them about as much as Muntader hates the President.
I didn't know this then, but I was probably one of those kids that would have ended up being diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. My mother recently told me that, as a kid, I was hyper, petulant, and quite moody. People who know me now would probably ask: So what's changed?
Anyway, on one particular afternoon, my teacher at P.S. 140 politely asked me to take a nap. I said "No. I'm not tired." Like any five-year old, I held firm to the sound logic that says one takes naps only when they're tired and not immediately after they've had lunch and a 30-minute recess. Of course, I was at the mercy of my teacher's dictatorial benevolence, which I learned on this particular day, had its limits.
My memory is quite vague on how my teacher finally got me to take off my sneakers and lay down on the cot. What I clearly remember was her turning her back on me as she walked to her desk. That's when I got up out of my cot, walked to my cubby, grabbed one of my sneakers and flung it, nailing her right on the back of her noggin. It was probably no more than a six- to eight-foot toss, but the way I remember it, I was two miles away with an artillery spotter near the target giving me coordinates corrected for wind speed and direction.
Again, please forgive me for not recalling every detail of this shoe-tossing incident. Technology being what it was in early 1968, there was no YouTube serving site video of this surgical strike. And given the events of that year, it's easy to see how a story of a kid nailing his teacher with a shoe didn't cross Walter Cronkite's CBS Evening News desk.
But my mom and dad made the story a top priority. Unlike our dear Mr. President, they didn't blithely pass it off and say "So? So What?"
I wonder if Muntader got his ass kicked like I did.
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
Oh when will stick figure-on-stick figure violence end! when!?
ReplyDeleteI love the image of you hurling your tiny sneaker at the teacher - I know I shouldn't and I know, as a Mom, that I should scold you ...
but it is just too priceless
plus you grew up just fine
LOL I was thinking the same thing Dianne. Stick figure violence indeed!
ReplyDeleteIt is reported that Muntader has been tortured in US run prisons in Iraq. You got off lightly, Spartacusito.
OMG you did not! Sigh. My kid did similar things. He's 22 now. I have hope. I used to tell him, Honey, if you really cannot help yourself, please just don't get caught. Does that make me a bad mother?
ReplyDeleteBoy, what they say about the violence in Noo Yawk is true! ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe all know Chimpy likes a drink now and then, but I'd wager he's been practicing some moves being married to Pickles all these years.
Spartacus, thanks for sharing your childhood crime with us. I did something even worse when I was not much older than that - I threw scissors at a neighborhood bully (at his back no less, as he was leaving after tormenting me and my little friends).
ReplyDeleteHe had to have stitches. Luckily they were pretty dull scissors and I didn't really mean to hit him, it was just a reflex action of rage!
I was in deep trouble with my parents, his parents, the entire neighborhood! Nowadays I'd have probably been sent to a psychiatrist and put on some kind of medication. Luckily back then they just let us outgrow these things and I turned out OK too!
Now everyone will know where Zeb's elementary school antics were inherited from. Certainly not from me!!!
ReplyDeleteHold on a minute there Skip... are you saying he got them from me? And who says his antics stopped in elementary school. Are we also forgetting the middle school skateboarding incident? All I'm saying is he's got 46 chromosomes, and they're not all mine.
ReplyDeleteDianne... if only you could've seen that shoe bounce off her head. But, please, hold the scolding, my dad disfigured by my ass with his size 8 shoe.
Alecto...OMG... I did and if I could go back in time, I do it again, but only this time I'll toss a combat boot with cement in it. And, yes, you gave your son sound advice. The other part of that equation is don't rat on your friends, if you do get caught.
Blonde... I saw that BBC report on al-Zaidi. I'm not the least bit surprised. I'm sure Bush walked out of the room thinking... I'm going to kill that muthafucka!
RG... violence in NYC? Rudy G fixed all that remember? Are streets are lined with gold now that CC and K-Rod are residents. But I had the same thought about George and Laura... but I'm thinking his reflexes are better when he's dodging cars.
MG...holy crap! You chucked scissors? I'm surprised you didn't become a featured knife thrower with the Barnum & Bailey Circus. Or, maybe you did and got fired for being grossly inaccurate.
Although I no longer practice law, my early nap time objection clearly showed that law school was in my future. When told to take a nap, I informed the aide that "my mother isn't paying you for me to sleep." I was about four years old.
ReplyDeleteThat said, what I found remarkable is that that dimwitted drunk had such quick reflexes. My guess is that he had to develop that skill with a mother like Bar.
Hah... where were you when I was in kindergarten PiNYC? We could have started the "No Nap" revolution. As for Bush and his reflexes... mind boggling isn't it?
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: I was sent to a "private" kindergarten because my birthday was two days after the age cutoff for my public school district. That is, they were going to make me wait a year to start school because I missed the deadline by 48 fucking hours. So I was sent to this "private" kindergarten that was part zoo, part gulag. Awful.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, interesting that W had such good reflexes. No doubt he's had years of experience at ducking.
You were lucky you got to take your naps on a cot! We had to lay on mats on the floor. Despite that, though, I actually enjoyed nap time. I found kindergarten extremely stressful. Well, kindergarten, and just about every grade after that. And I was NOT pleased when I found out there were to be no more naps in first grade!
ReplyDelete;)
Now I have written proof I wasn't the only recalcitrant child ever raised by usually gentle and tolerant parents.
ReplyDeleteHey PiNYC... As you know, my birthday is late in the year also, but I'm not sure if my mom had to deal with when I would start kindergarten. By today's standards, I would have graduated high school in 1982, instead of '81. Regarding your zoo-gulag kindergarten, now I know the root cause of your justifiable fist-shaking. On GWB, he did duck military service, did he not?
ReplyDeleteAnita... I would be lucky for the cots if I liked the naps. The irony of this story is that I no longer fling shoes in anger and I love taking naps, especially on a rainy weekend afternoon ... and after a hangover ... and after a heavy meal ... and...
Susan... Now I have written proof that I am in good company, even though I have hard time believing you were recalcitrant.
AHA! You were a juvenile rowdy!
ReplyDelete'Ever Get Pissed and Toss A Shoe?'
No, but I have gotten pissed-up and tossed cookies. Mostly when I was a teenage rowdy. Does it still count?
Indeed I was okjimm.. and yes being a teenage rowdy counts, too, but that's a story for another post.
ReplyDeleteMy mother sent me to private kindergarten to avoid having my brother--who is 11 months and 11 days younger than me--and I placed in the same class. She was right, but that private kindergarten sucked. And yes, that probably started the fist shaking. As for W, more likely he learned to duck Ma Bar's right hand. But that's just a guess.
ReplyDeleteI love PinNY's comment at age 4. Sounds like me when I was 4 - my family asked me to carry my own beach ball down to the beach at Cape Cod and I threw it on the ground and said "No! I'm too little to work!" I still haven't lived that down. (And my friends, who know about the Scissors Incident, also like to tease me about that too).
ReplyDeleteI swear to you all I'm not violent now! ;-)
PiNYC... whether it's angry fist shaking or excellent ducking skills, the experience has to begin somewhere, and most times ot in places of our choosing.
ReplyDeleteMauigirl...So you toss scissors and refuse to carry a beach ball. My hero! Now if you had told me you stabbed the beach ball with the scissors are being ordered to carry it... well... that would make you a goddess... heh heh.. Remind me one day to tell you the story about a shirt I once got for Christmas.