Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Punishing Zeb

I wish he were always this peaceful.

But he's the reason my gray hairs have been popping out at an exponential rate.

He's been getting into trouble lately at school. It's not in the slacking grade sort of trouble. His average is in the 90s and he's in several honors classes.

But like most teens his age, he likes to goof around. His problem is he doesn't know when to stop.

For the second time this week, he's been given detention for taking his goofiness to the nth degree. Last week, he was busted for skateboarding in the middle school. It's beyond me to know why he was in the middle school, much less skateboarding there. This time, he gave a substitute some lip and got squeezed. Of course, he denied both charges, claiming he was set up.

Yeah, right. They all say that.

Skippy and I know that the most effective punishment we have for him is to take away those activities he loves most -- skateboarding, playing XBox, and scouring the Internet for new ska bands. Of course, he considers these punishments unfair and he endures them because he also knows we can't punish him forever.

So, what are two frustrated parents to do with his mangansone? We were at our wits end when we caught this story on our local cable news this morning:

Noisy Handed Manilow Punishment

Ha! I can't wait until he gets home from school today to greet him with an hour of this:




Judge Paul Sacco is my fucking hero!

But I'll leave the question to you my dear 7 readers... are we being too cruel?

25 comments:

  1. It wouldn't be a punishment for me. I LIKE Barry. but then I am OLD. Isn't there something in the constitution about "cruel and unusual" punishment...He might consider it so. I guess it is all relative and he IS your relative. (g)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cruel? Certainly not! When my kids act up, I just slap some opera on. What you're doing is possibly much more diabolical. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he sounds like a smart, ambitious kid with a lotta energy. See if you can enroll him in a U class or U extension class.


    Worked for my kids when they got bored.
    ( it was convenient. The local University was only blocks from home. )

    I rather think skateboarding in the middle school shows a little imagination. Next time he needs to add a little elan, like handing out candy &balloons while skating through. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He may be bored in school - has he been put in gifted classes or anything like that?

    Both the 'class clowns' in our high school classes were brilliant kids. One graduated a year ahead of time, early acceptance to MIT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, just realized you said he's in honors classes - guess that's the same as gifted.

    But maybe there are some other activities he could become involved in that would challenge him even more...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the 9th grade dean has our number on speed dial. The things he gets in trouble for are the same stupid things most 14 year old boys do, he is just the one that always get caught. He told me how unfair it was that he would have to listen to that dumb music for an hour. He would rather us take his video game than have to endure Barry for that long. Can't say I blame him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay... While Barry may be your pleasure, but I'm sure an hour of ska bands like Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto would have you screaming for mercy.

    Randal... you know that nothing could top the opera thing. We shoulf trade parenting tips more often.

    okjimm... the kid has huge dreams, and I'll look into the U classes. Right now, his interests are quite scattered, so we're still waiting for something to stick. Guitar looks like a real winner though. He's taking lessons now with a great instructor and he practices everyday.

    MG... honors and gifted are more or less the same. But we also have AP (advanced placement) classes which he can apply towards college credit, which are even tougher. I think he just has a healthy sense of humor which he has yet to learn to control. At 14, I really don't expect him to be completely well-behaved. He just needs to understand when it is and isn't appropriate to cut up.

    Skippy... you know we tapped into a gold mine with this idea, don't you. Heh. Could we have stumbled upon a new form of torture? We need to confer with Randal on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just make him listen to Copacabana, the hottest spot north of havana - ONCE and that will work.....

    or make him watch Martha Stewart for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely sounds too cruel to me but I like the idea. There's a guy who lives downstairs who really deserves an hour of Manilow.. or Lawrence Welk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spartacus -

    Always beware the possibility of unintended consequences. What if he starts to like Barry Manilow?
    What if you have to endure a never ending medly of "Time in New England" and "Mandy"?

    Be careful what you do! It could come back and haunt you forever that you damaged his taste in music.

    Regards,

    Tengrain

    ReplyDelete
  11. or make him watch Martha Stewart for 5 minutes. DCap ... Are you sure you're not a CIA operative?

    Susan.. Lawrence Welk is just stepping over the line. But knowing Zeb as I do, he'll figure out a way to turn it into a ska song. Says Zeb, "If Reel Big Fish can cover Aha's Take On Me, I can cover (place name of song or performer here)."

    'grain... see the comment I left for Susan. Zeb is slowly becoming a master of thinking in three dimensions. I fear what he will do to a Manilow song sometime in the near future. Think "Mandy" played with a ska time signature and a horn section.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man! That is beyond cruel!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. K... it is cruel, but crueler is the mind of a 14-year old kid who knows how to push his parents' buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobody can push buttons like a 14-year-old. I know, because I was one once. My parents would vouch for my skills.

    BTW, I do love the Manilow torture punishment. I think that was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When the Morsel acts up, I replay Sarah Palin's speech at the RNC. He may only be 7, but it's never too early to learn that life is cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even 15 minutes of Manilow would have me begging for mercy. I can't imagine subjecting someone I love to such torture.

    Instead, try taking the wheels off of his skateboard for a week. Orrrrr...since he's such a great kid, in so many ways, just forgive him for this one transgression. Have a heart-to-heart talk with him, explaining why the behaviour was unwise, and trust him to not repeat it. Of course there will be other missteps, but that's all part of becoming a man. I'm sure there were some interesting Spartacus stunts committed about 31 years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. MG.. yes, 14-year olds certainly know how to push buttons and our Zeb is a master at it. Morever, I'm sure you would be able to impart some of your own mastery should you ever meet before he turns 15.

    Morse... that you have Sarah Palin's speeches readily available for replay scares me to no end, Heh. I'm sure you have the Morsel begging for mercy and promising to be good after about 30 seconds.

    Z... you're right. While we consider punishment as an option, he's smart enough to know the consequences of his actions, so we reason with him at that level. He is 14, and Skippy and I have been there, so our own experiences play into how we deal with him. But we are his parents and we're the adults in this relationship, and it's our job dole out a consequence that fits the infraction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved what the judge did and I loved watching the faces of the kids while they listened to their punishment.

    Is it cruel? Maybe but it sure is fun.

    I should have included in my thanks giving thanks, saying thanks that I am not the parent of a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah PoP..the looks on those kids faces is priceless. And, yes, not being the parent of a teen is something to be thankful for... sometimes. I'll admit they're pains in the asses, but they're ours and we love 'em all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That judge is inspirational. kudos. As for punishment for Jeb, better to listen to Barry Manilow for one hour than be forced to watch "Full House" (that launched the Olsen twins, no?) or "Touched by an Angel." I threatened my nephew with the entire series of the later if he doesn't tell me what he would like for xmas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. PiNYC... Is there no end to the depth of cruelty one can impose on a 14-year old for getting out of line? I may have to put up one of those sidebar vote thingies to see whose punishment is voted worst -- mine, yours, Randal's or Morse's, Madam Z's, DCap's or Susan's. Oh and btw...after hearing me read your comment aloud, Zeb agrees that listening Manilow is far better than watching "Full House".

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, may I also suggest the cast album of "Annie." After hearing "It's a Hard Knock Life" screamed by a gaggle of 10 year old girls....well, he'll give in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fun to watch him get up in the morning. He's a morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're right, P... but these days we have to show him some sympathy. He's got a bad stomach flu which is punishment enough.

    Ricky... (or is Ricduculous?) It is fun watching him wake up in the morning, especially when we give him the spray bottle treatment. heh.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...