I promised Noodle I would not post about her anymore. Apparently, she's grown a bit self-conscious about me writing stuff about her. Yet, she's got the Facebook thing covered like nobody's business. I don't get it. But then again, I'm her Dad. I'm not supposed to.
Still, I could not help but write about a recent, but brief, political exchange we had, while she was driving herself to work last Sunday.
Me: So, if you could vote for President, who would you vote for?Ouch! It was a humbling experience for me because for the last month as I watched the election coverage on the dreaded MSM, and I could feel my level of vitriol rise with each "you betcha" from Sarah Palin and each "my friends" from McCain. In fact, in reading your blogs, I conclude that many of you feel as I do.
Noodle: I would vote for Obama-Biden.
Me: Good choice. I'm be voting for him, too.
Noodle: I knew that Dad. But I can't vote yet. I did work on a project on the election at school, where we had to make a placard for the candidate of our choice.
Me: That's great!
(Pause for an awkward 3-second silence)
Me: Sooooooo...who would Rachael vote for? (Rachael is Noodle's BFF)
Noodle: She likes McCain and so does her Dad.
Me: Really? Why would her Dad vote against his best interests like that? I don't get it.
Noodle: There's really nothing to get Dad. It's a democracy. People vote for who they like.
Me: You're right. But don't your differing viewpoints cause friction between you and Rachael?
Noodle: Well, we disagree on this, but we agree on alot of other stuff Daddy. We don't always have to agree on everything. That's just stupid.
But Noodle set me straight. Dissent and disagreement are the foundation of our republic and if we brow beat people into voting one way or another, we are no better than those fascist regimes where people still die for a chance to vote.
So in the spirit of friendship, I leave you with this....
I loved this - what a great song to bring back, too!
ReplyDeleteYou rule, Spartacus!
Regards,
Tengrain
You have a wise daughter. It's still a little difficult for me that my closest friend at work is a conservative Republican and plans to vote for McCain. Just one of those things we've agreed to disagree about but she does love John Stewart so there's hope.
ReplyDeleteGreat post,
ReplyDeleteGreat kid,
Great song!!!
Great post
ReplyDeleteGreat kid
I'm sure it's a great song - damn you you-tube blockers!
I agree with the agree to disagree. It is painfully difficult and you may have noticed that some of my nearest and dearest blog buddies are as screaming right wing as they come. And I hope they love me too even though we can't even look in the same directions sometimes.
Most of my family is grade-A wingnut, so I get this. That doesn't mean I don't yell at them from time to time. ;-)
ReplyDeleteNoodle is a seriously beautiful and bright young woman
ReplyDeleteI'll try to take her advice but it ain't easy ;)
Gees, Noodle uses her noodle! I have made a promise not to bug my Republican friends....... for at least two weeks after the election.
ReplyDeleteYou have a bright kid. That's not a mistake. You and Skippy did a great job. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteEveryone... thanks for the great comments. I've been pretty busy this weekend with little time to respond. Don't forget to vote on Tuesday if you haven't done so already.
ReplyDeleteOuch! It was a humbling experience for me because for the last month as I watched the election coverage on the dreaded MSM, and I could feel my level of vitriol rise...
ReplyDeleteHey...it's natural. My level of self-segregation from conservative friends is now almost complete. I think it must be just a part of getting older.
Kvatch - I have a very conservative brother whose based has been totally charged by Palin. But blood is thicker than water foe me and despite the complete contempt in which I regard his choice, I cannot feel that way about his person, or any wingnut conservative for that matter. As Noodle reiterated to me again today: "Dad, that's just stupid."
ReplyDeleteDangit, why do we have to be all nice to the wingnuts, and mature and democratic and stuff? Can't we just shoot 'em all?
ReplyDeleteDG...if you have a Facebook account, I'll suggest you as a friend to Noodle and you can ask her yourself. But I caution you; be prepared for a long response. She is very adamant about this point. Heh.
ReplyDelete