I've been a little out of sorts today. It was my first day back at work , after a week-long vacation, and I was totally expecting a shitload of urgent e-mails, and a stern "see me" voicemail box from the boss.
But it never happened.
So what's a desk jockey to do?
Go for a run, of course. 3.5 miles in 27:31 on a treadmill in the free company fitness center. That's not bad considering I had not run since I did a 5.2 mile loop from Lindenhurst to Babylon and back last Sunday.
Nothing like a little PT to get the blood flowing by 9AM.
I was ready to take on the world....
I was ready to take on the world....
Still nothing....
In fact, the most exciting moment of my day was when I ran into my friends Yvonne and Al, at lunch, who had some urgent news for me. I was with them on Saturday at a party thrown by my ex-boss Frank. There was plenty of food and booze to go around. I even got Skippy to make her famous
Apparently much had happened after Skippy and I left the party. Frank tossed out Skippy's crumb cake in his zeal to clean the house.
That bastard!
Apparently, this didn't sit well with his sleepover guests who were counting on having the leftover cake the next morning with their coffee and Bloody Marys.
The story got back to Skippy, who told Rick, who had this reaction to the news....

What the f%*#&@ck!
In the meantime, if any of you care to partake in this delectable dessert, here's the recipe:
Skippy's Crumb Cake
1 box Ducan Hines Yellow cake Mix
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups of water
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 sticks of margarine
3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
Confectionary sugar (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine cake mix, eggs, water, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract together in a bowl and mix for 2 minutes at medium speed. Spread cake mix in a greased 13 x 9 cake pan.
Bake for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, prepare crumbs in a large bowl. Put flour and sugar in the bowl and mix together with your hands. Add 3 sticks of margarine, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tsp cinnamon. Knead everything together with your hands until it is all blended. (This can get a little messy)
When the cake is done, generously spread the crumbs on top of the cake. Use all of the crumbs.
Bake an additional 17 minutes.
Let cool to room temperature before sprinkling confectionery sugar on top. Cut into squares and serve.

Because I had nothing better to do today.....
Poor kid. His face is still frozen like that from the shock.
In the meantime, if any of you care to partake in this delectable dessert, here's the recipe:
Skippy's Crumb Cake
1 box Ducan Hines Yellow cake Mix
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups of water
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 sticks of margarine
3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
Confectionary sugar (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine cake mix, eggs, water, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract together in a bowl and mix for 2 minutes at medium speed. Spread cake mix in a greased 13 x 9 cake pan.
Bake for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, prepare crumbs in a large bowl. Put flour and sugar in the bowl and mix together with your hands. Add 3 sticks of margarine, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tsp cinnamon. Knead everything together with your hands until it is all blended. (This can get a little messy)
When the cake is done, generously spread the crumbs on top of the cake. Use all of the crumbs.
Bake an additional 17 minutes.
Let cool to room temperature before sprinkling confectionery sugar on top. Cut into squares and serve.

Because I had nothing better to do today.....
Yummy.
ReplyDeleteFunny you mention this thing called BAKING. I've actually been thinking lately I should cook something nice. Just for the hell of it, you know. I was in Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and ALMOST bought a cheesecake pan!! But, naaa, too fattening.
But I do have a receipe for "Cranberry Nut Bread" ... something my mother used to make ... I've been holding onto it for years years thinking I might just happen to turn on the oven.
Hmmm ... velly interesting idea!!
Oh yeah. And welcome back from VACAY, Spartacus.
Yum. He threw it out? Philistine! Gives it to me. I eats it.
ReplyDeleteDammit, now I'm really hungry. That looks delicious. I can run 0.5 miles in 27:31 probably. Assuming I don't stop to throw up along the way.
ReplyDelete"No Cake Left Behind" is my policy.
ReplyDeleteDeliberately THROWING it? Damn near a federal offense.
randal, i hate to break it to you, but if you go .5 miles in 27:31, it's not *exactly* running. at best, it's kinda hopping on one leg and stopping every every other hop for a budweiser.
ReplyDelete/ hop for a budweiser /
ReplyDeleteI would never hop for a budweiser.
I would raid an office for some crumb cake ( or any cake, to be honest )
/ I might just happen to turn on the oven. /
Running? The concept seems familiar..... I will grok on it over a beer later.
Make sure you 'happen' to light it, too! ;)
Thanks Anita..maybe you should post the recipe on your site. I mean, I showed you Skippy's. The least you can do is show us yours....
ReplyDeleteAlecto - The nerve of some people!!! But you'll get no cake unless you let me and Skippy use a few of the eggs from your chickens to make it.
Randal - you're such a slowpoke. BTW and slightly OT, but does the name Kenny McFadden ring a bell to you?
UC - I need to talk to Diva and Nunley about Frank's act of cake desecration. I'm thinking a new Constitutional Amendment.
okjimm - a beer snob after my own keg. God I love it when you talk suds. You, my friend, get a free piece. Yo! Skip! Take care of my pal okjimm, will ya?
I gotta try out that recipe. Damn Randal, that time would shatter my world record!
ReplyDeleteBreak me up.... beer foam through nostrils, laughing..... is a waste of beer.... :)
ReplyDeleteok ... maybe i'll post both receipes: sure-fire cheesecake and cranberry nut bread!! i'm going to bed now so it will have to be tomorrow. yeah, i'm really boring. and tired.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: It's August. People are on vacation. Enjoy the slow time. I should, but we just moved offices from a location within walking distance from my apartment to a new one that requires a short subway ride. Still, my commuting time has doubled or tripled (in fairness it was between 5-10 minutes pre-move). So everything was moved, but they apparently lost my chair. Just mine. I had tweaked it to fit my needs. And it's gone. Instead I had to use a guest chair that made my back a bit uncomfortable, so I had to get up, walk around and then kneel at my desk. Oh, and of course I had a shitload of work to do. Christ.
ReplyDeleteOh geez, today's the first day of my diet after stuffing myself while my kids were visiting last week. I'll copy that recipe, though, cuz it looks delicious. I'll make it when I lose the weight I gained...as a special treat.
ReplyDeleteThe best mile I ever ran was a shade under six minutes, but that was way back in high school when I was in shape. And yes, I might stop for a beer or three, thereby increasing my official time. I mean, you DO have to sit down and drink.
ReplyDeleteMouse McFadden! Goddamn CSU got jobbed in 1986. You looked at David Robinson funny and they called a foul.
Bradda - have at it bro. If you make that cake right, running for beers will be a remote afterthought.
ReplyDeleteokjimm - Skippy says she's got a piece wrapped in tin foil for your culinary pleasure.
Anita - please post them. Did I ever mention that I bonkers over good cheesecake? And that cranberry nut cake sounds off-the-hook delicious.
PiNYC - Thanks, but my vacation is done and I caught a major audit for the remaining summer and into fall. I'm sorry to hear about your lost chair. I'm like you, I need my creature comforts to be productive. For me, it's my stainless steel 20 oz. coffee cup that I use for water. I'd be lost without it...that is, until I get a new one that won't be quite the same.
Mary Ellen - don't sweat it sister. In my mind, any visit from the grandkids is well worth going off your diet. And anyway, I can't imagine you gained any weight given the fact that they probably ran you ragged. Am I wrong on that count? Anyway, if you make it, let me know how it turns out for you.
Randal - the reason I ask is because I grew up with mouse. In fact, we played on the same 14 & under team back in the day. He was a terrific ball player then, too, but not the starting point guard...if you can wrap your head around that thought.
Here's a link to a post I wrote last November.
http://mysaturdayeveningpost.blogspot.com/2007/11/why-cheer-when-you-can-play.html
I'm at the end on the lower right. Look whose kneeling next to me. :^)
let them eat cake...
ReplyDeleteand beer
Spartacus: To their credit, my employer delivered a new better model chair this a.m. Yeah, I was impressed. I thought I was going to get some used, stained relic. It's all good.
ReplyDeleteLooks yummy, but if I made it, it wouldn't look that good.
ReplyDeleteDCap - ask okjimm, beer and cake go well together.
ReplyDeletePiNYC - I'm glad the chair fiasco worked out well for you. Yay! New chair!
Scarlet - Make it. Take a snapshot and let us be the judge.
I'm glad your return was a peaceful one - never to be expected under any circumstances so all the better for that.
ReplyDeleteThe cake looks great and I'll copy it down with thanks to Skippy. My favorite party recipe is for my own version of an English trifle. I discovered you really can get Jello to jell by using wine and juice instead of water.. cake, whipped cream, raspberries, cherries, custard and the whole lot soaked in sherry. It's quite good.
Dude, you played with Mouse? How cool is that!
ReplyDeleteSusan - I'll pass along your thanks to Skippy. I like your Jello recipe. I'll bet it's as fun to eat as it is to make.
ReplyDeleteRandal - Indeed I did and I have a picture to prove it. It is pretty cool, now that I think about it.
one can not throw out crumb cake...ever...I love your receipe...
ReplyDeleteE4E... again, I say...that Bastard!!! Hope you try out the recipe. Let me know if you do.
ReplyDelete