Friday, July 18, 2008

My Vacation from Jonestown...

...is over.

I put up a "dope" post over there today. Here's the link:

Even To The Best of Us

If you're new the site, take a moment and check out what's going on there. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.


9 comments:

  1. Everyone over there, including yourself, is great and should get paid. Have you guys thought of starting a utility company, doing shoddy work in Iraq, and still getting money for it? It's the newest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randal. I'm thinking about starting a construction company that specializes in building over-sized diplomatic compounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your story over at Jonestown - and I responded to it - because it coincided with my 20 years clean and sober in AA. Your brother's experience is heartbreaking, yet he died clean - remember this. He had 8 years clean before full-blown AIDS claimed him. He had recovery from addiction. Take that to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great post, Spartacus. I know it took a lot of courage to write it but it was beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks DJ. Can I call you that? I kind of like the sound of it. I will never forget your kind words here or at Jonestown. Much appreciated.

    Susan - thank you. Please know how much me and my family appreciate your kind words. As for the telling, you know as well as I do that some stories simply tell themselves and that we're just the unwitting vehicles through which they emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like D.J. - that's kind of funky. And your story touched me quite deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...DJ. Thanks. But I'll try and limit it's use to my site. On yours? I'll use something like Jood or Diva or..... friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPARTACUS: Even having known part of the story beforehand, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the power and elegance of your telling it.

    Your words and your philosophy are moving when appropriate, powerful when appropriate, cynical when appropriate, always hopeful, and refreshingly free of bathos, self-love and preachiness as so many "personal" stories are.

    Gus's story is all of our stories. We are all frail. We all need understanding and love. We needn't seek to banish our humanity in search of "perfection." We are all different in terms of personality and brain chemistry. The same psycological elements in terms of ego and id balance, the same physiological balance -- the lack of sufficient blood level of this or that -- which led Gus to his fate, may well have been those which led DaVinci to his. We'll never know.

    Your message of hope and love in the face of despair is much appreciated. As is the stylish way you convey that message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelso.. Thanks so much for your kind words and thoughts. You're right, Gus's story is all of our stories, but my hope in telling it is that it doesn't become someone else's story in the future. Thanks for checking in bro... check back here again... there may be something for you.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...