I'm going to try and keep this short for you and let this MSNBC video speak for itself. Clearly, here's a man who is so out of touch with the electorate that it would astound me if he won in November.
Naturally, Sen. McCain's spin machine clarified his comment on the Today show with this statement:
"Sen. McCain has consistently opposed a timeline for withdrawing our troops from Iraq. And our friends on the opposite side of the aisle have a long history of attempting to twist Sen. McCain's words on Iraq. The fact that Sen. McCain opposes a timeline for withdrawal and is principally concerned about the safety of American troops and the security of Iraq is pretty much "dog bites man."
But I thought we did that in May 2003 when it was Mission Accomplished?
Skippy's mom (the wife formerly known as E.) had a great way to express her exasperation. "Whatevah!" (translation from Lawnguylandese to English: Whatever!)
My sentiments exactly. It's stupid comments like this that got George Bush elected twice. I wonder if McCain deliberately makes these statements because they are stupid and are purposely garnering the pity vote. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people call in my neck of the woods call Democrats "elitist bastards" because they dared to opine intelligently on an important issue. Is there some kind of mass inferiority complex at work here?
It bears watching the polls the next few months because time will tell if this is indeed McCain's campaign strategy; if in fact, he's playing the idiot card.
Hey, why not?
It's a age old schtick that's worked well in everything from literature to television:
But politics is not like that is it? Is it?
The idea of a McCain presidency is a scary concept but one that is quite possible. The American public seems immune to change and I have little hope that Obama can provide the necessary impetus for the level of change required even if he did manage to get elected.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: I am so dumbfounded by this I have to admit I'm loving every second of it. I didn't think it was possible to find a stupider man to put in the white house than george w bush, but they found him alright. They gave Bush the speech. He delivered it. He was shielded fromany real tough questions. He mastered the talking points sufficiently.
ReplyDeleteMcCain is not able to do THAT even. I'm going to write something that a lot of people will really bum out about, but, I'm sorry...I live 6000 miles away in a place that kind of mirrors western europe, canada, oceania and south africa as in the rest of the democratic world...McCain's capitivity does not inspire any respect at all, everybody JOKES about it. Nobody has the slightest feeling of respect for him anywhere that capitalism is practiced.
When you discuss the election with people in South America they smile at Clinton or Obama's name and the get kind of a disgusted look on their faces when you mention McCain. I cannot tell you how many times people have said to me "Es asqueroso, si o no?" [He's nauseating, right?]
Of course, part of that is the high regard with which South Americans hold the Clintons, Obama and pretty much the Democratic Party in general for a lot of reasons.
The other reason is that there will definitely be a front in McCain's WWIII down here. I'm going by McCain's own words.
Leaving aside the gross ignorance and bigotry towards the Spanish speaking world that's going on right now. The bigger problem is that no one up there gets that this is less of problem for us in the long run.
The USA does not have a snowball's chance in hell of occupying Andean and Isthmian South America, even if (which will not happen) Panama, Argentina, Brazil and Chile stay neutral, the task is too great for all the remaining US forces plus all the Blackwater contractors.
Spartacus, I'll go on and explain exactly why, but I know your readers are bored already, so I'll stop...but first a little ru-ru!
Will somebody please tell the media that the words "Latino" and "Hispanic" are identical to saying "Colored"? It's not so much that it's offensive, it's that it makes all of America seem retarded, excuse me, developmentally disabled. I acually find the words very humorous for that reason. LIke in the way I used to laugh at the Archie Bunker character.
By saying "Latino" or "Hispanic" this is exactly what you're saying: there is no difference between an Argentinian of Swedish descent who has blond hair and blue eyes but whose first language is Spanish is identical to a Guatemateco of local "Indian (whatever that means!)" descent whose first language is not Spanish but rather the language of that tribe and that language is not Indo-European.
So, one last reminder. The next time you catch yourself saying "Latino" or "Hispanic" you are saying "Colored." If comfortble using "colored" as a term for African-Americans or Afro-Caribbeans, then foget what I wrote.
Susan - you're right about that -- the American public seems immune to change, but these are dire times, and, unfortunately, the momentum of this spiral will last well into the Presidency of the next person to hold the office. If it's Obama, he will have the some impetus, but there are so many policy decisions of the past administration that he has to undo that it may take a full term in office to get us out from under them.
ReplyDeleteKelso - I'm glad someone is loving this debacle. I fear it. McCain gets scarier by the moment and as long as he keeps playing the stupid card, he may have a shot. As for the "latino" thing -- sorry man, I did not know that and I hope that my naivete can be forgiven. As you know, we are very insulated here in the US and these identity labels are sometimes very helpful in the fight against being othered by the dominant racial group. I hate it personally. I'm a human being like anyone else and not a latino-human. But this is the US reality that I hope, in my lifetime, I will see end.
McCain is indeed scary - but let's hope the American people will realize it this time and not make the same mistake they did in 2000 (well, the Supreme Court did anyway) and 2004.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the Smothers Brothers - used to watch that show faithfully every Sunday night. That was a great clip - Pumas in the Cravasses! Priceless!
Spartacus: Normally I worry about elections. Not this one. McCain can barely get a couple hundred breathing humans to show up when he has a, um, rally. Obama got 75,000 to show up in Portland, Oregon. I think that says something.
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely terrified. This man scares me so badly I can hardly think about it although putting my head in the sand is the last thing any of us needs right now. I am afraid that we have gone tharn like a rabbit in headlights and will let this thing get away from us and end up riding the ultimate rail to self destruction with McCain and all 25 of his brain cells at the helm. That said, time to get on the political band wagon and do something about this.
ReplyDeleteAs an aside to Kelso, I'm very sorry, I had no idea and I appreciate the correction.
Cheney and the rest of the neocons are licking their collective jowls at the opportunity that will be presented to them if this joker can get in the White House.
ReplyDeleteNo one likes him, he'll flip and flop and blow in the wind like it's nobody's business. He'll be perfectly happy playing President. He might be more angry and less mean (there is a subtle difference) than Chimpy, but man, if this dude gets in. Ugh.
McCain is a perpetual self-destruction machine, and it's not just verbal gaffes and a steady stream of clarifications. His judgement is seriously flawed. I'm in agreement with Pissed; this election is not one I'm particularly concerned about.
ReplyDeleteALECTO: I hadn't even noticed you had used the words. I was offering it up as a general point of information because it has just been added to the seemingly endless list of things South Americans find ridiculous about the USA. Nobody's really offended by it. It's like Archie Bunker saying "colored." That's all. The differences are so great between and within the countries. Panama is a real salad bowl and so not only are people specific about countries, but also "Arab"-Panamanians don't say "Arab"; they say Jordan or Syria or whatever. Jewish-Panamanians always say "Ashkenaz" or "Sefardita".
ReplyDeleteLou Dobbs for people here who can speak English is like a briliant SNL satire. You just laugh your ass off. It's an article of faith that Americans are not only sadistic brutes but real tourist doofuses as well and then there's this half-hour show dedicated to mocking Spanish-speaking people. It's really funny. It's easy for me to say I suppose because I've been fluent for nearly 40 years and I'm short and have a dark complexion and brown hair and eyes, and I'm from NYC so I don't have that wide-eyed stare and goofy smile and I know not to look strangers in the eye and I always hold doors for people, so I pass, but still...
...yes, still...if McCain wins there will be a war down here. Panama won't be involved becase we hold all the money -- like Switzerland. But they will be fighting 80 miles to the south. So, what's the difference really? What McCain doesn't realize is that Patton and Montgomery couldn't plan and execute what he wants to do. Iraq is a walk in the park comparitively.
And the wretched thing is that I have to hope for defiitive US defeat. That's weird. If the US somehow wins, it's a total ass-over-tea-kettle for me.
I tend to think that while Americans are definitely thick they aren't all retarded. It's the clearest choice I've ever seen and it's the first one in which I can't vote. Obama really is brilliant. He pulled off the con-job of the century in a good way. He spent two years carefully cultivating this kind of Bill Cosby but more religious image and then went he started talking specifics and defending himself he was mind blowing. I can't think of a single stand on issue I strongly disagree with. And his policy toward South America could not be better. It's not only not crazy, it's very creative and peace-promoting.
And then...we have this sadistic dolt. I certainly don't feel GOOD that Tim Russert died, but I am happy that he won't be the problem. The whole media just loves McCain. But the problem is that Obama is too sophisticated. That's what worries me. He has been trying for three weeks now to make a very important an obvious point: the high gasoline prices are related to the war in two ways 1) market speculation and 2) drain on the budget and once he starts in on that they shut him up and ask him why his wife isn't patriotic.
When did stupid become a requirement for a president?
ReplyDeleteI'm seeing a pattern. Every time McCain says something like this and if he's called out for it, the right says the left is taking a jab at McCain's age. The say words like "confused" are subtle ways of making fun of his age. The plan seems to be that the left can't bring up his mistakes without being so mean to him and making fun of him.
Mauigirl - McCain is "stupid" scary. But I'm hopeful that we will act to convince out fellow Americans to keep McCain from gaining the Presidency.
ReplyDeletePiNYC - I wasn't aware that McCain's town halls aren't drawing crowds. You wouldn't know it from the coverage he gets. Is that the magic of television? or mass manipulation? If so, I'd be worried about this election, too.
Alecto - a McCain victory is a fearsome thought, and while voting against him is our ultimate weapon against his election, we have to recognize that it's not our only weapon. Welcome aboard the wagon.
Randal - forgive my paraphrase of this Dylan Thomas poem, but the neo-cons will "not go gentle into that good night"; even if it means propping up old-man McCain to maintain the status quo.
Morse - I agree that McCain's judgments are flawed, but what worries me is that many Americans will ignore this fact (with a great from the media) and vote for him any way. Much can and will between now and November 4th.
Kelso - Your points on an impending war in SA should McCain win are compelling. But, I wonder, after six years of the Iraq/Afghanistan blunder, if Americans and her soldiers will tolerate war on another front? It would take a monumental sales job to build up the "boots" needed to open that front, which is not entirely beyond the pale of possibilities given that televised combat builds ratings.
PoP - I don't know that it's a requirement as much as it is a selling point. I see the pattern, too, and it's enough to make me beat my head against the wall. Why is McCain's age and confused on important positions not campaign issues, yet Obama's panel selections to vet potential VP candidates are? (Bang! Ouch! I just hurt my head...)
Spartacus,
ReplyDeleteGood name, I happen to be sicilian; which I guess is a half ass greek! I read your bio. I liked that you have your opinion, and your willing to let your children learn for themselves....Wise. Currently Obama holds a 15% popular lead, but Hothead-Admiral-Daddy-Got-Me-Out-Trouble McCain holds 11% more in the electoral college. Funny I though "We The People" had the say. Anyways I don't know how to feel if the electoral college is found to be the bought, and paid for minions they are, and indeed have to change to Obama, then I fear an earlier attack on Iran. One that happens before the elections. With this Bush can simply declare himself Caesar.
Kelso's Nuts, Where are you? My wife, and I have been in Guatemala for nearly a year, and half. That mean's that we're almost eligible to be Guatemalteco's. I even bought her an outfit from the aldea San Antonio de Agua Calientes.LOL!!
Now we're in Honduras, The Bay Islands. The Spanish is very different. As far as these peoples names I went to El Salvador. The guys call the girls bitcha's, I LMAOROTF. Then I learned that the dudes are called bitcho's....Cultures are interesting!
As far as war here. Oh Yea!! The American Fourth Fleet is now patrolling the Caribbean. Daily bothering Chavez....Where does it get dangerous? I'm guessing your in Panama since I believe you were referring to Colombia, but it gets bad considering all the CA-4 is siding more, and more, and more with Chavez. I workin' on my tan so I keep my hide!
Peace and Freedom
Kelso's Nuts,
ReplyDeleteI guess the Bitcho(a) is like the Guatemalan Chapin
AHB - Welcome.
ReplyDeleteMcCain appears to have the electoral college votes needed now based on current state-by-state polls. But I would not consider them indicative of what the final result will be in November. This stew is not yet done, 'mano. Talk to me once the real political jostling ramps up between Obama and McCain, say after Labor Day and let's see things are shaking out. Right now, we're all just settling into our seats for the 12-round fight waiting for Michael Buffer to announce "Let's Get Ready to Rumble."
AHB: Yeah, buddy, CdP.
ReplyDelete"Pana" y "Panash" son los apodos corrientes o "viejo (a)" o "tio" y entre amigos de vez en cuando nos llamamos "judio" o "arabe". Los chinos se llaman "tio". Los colombianos dicen "gordo" y "gorda" pa' 'podos entre amigos.
No shortage of different kinds of Spanish slang. But living in CdP kind of ipso facto gives you exposure to Colombia and Colombians. As I wrote before, we're a lot closer as the crow flies to Medellin than we are to Costa Rica.
Well, as Manos-de-Piedra-Sesos-de-Mierda is all set for his triumphant audience with Uribe on Monday, the focus for now is what the Republicans have in store starting there. I imagine Obama will be pretty hard to beat but I hope that he sticks to his word and takes either a hands-off approach to Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru like Clinton did. Or maybe he'll follow through on this truth-and-reconciliation idea with the Paramilitaries and the FARC in Colombia.
You know exactly how the rest of us feel about Chavez. We're not in a big hurry to live in Venezuela but he's not a problem. In fact, at times he too has angled for creating a dialogue between the paras and the FARC.
If McCain is elected president I have no illusions that at some point Panama will be included in his "axis of evil," especially as Torrijos is now president and Balbina Herrera is the favorite to succeed him in '09, and with 10% annual growth, the PRD isn't going anywhere. How can McCain stay away from something so tempting? The country with the best privacy laws in the world with trillions of USD in its banks? And no treaty with the US?
My hide is safe from South Americans. I'm little and have a dark complexion and brown hair and eyes and speak fluent Spanish with no gringo accent. And I've made every effort to be a good friend to people who have some clout. I worry about GI JOE to tell you the truth. Even the hardest Colombians are merely affectless from 40 years of violence over politics, drugs and money. American kids all pumped up on warfever without having seen violence before can get really goofy.
SPARTACUS: Look at how Iraq is being fought. It was completely misguided in the first place and then they compounded the error by sending in too few soldiers with not enough equipment. But they got the result they wanted. Bush re-elected and Pelosi and Hoyer and Reid going along with this new FISA that legalizes all spying. And they got Americans to LIKE it.
Why shouldn't they? You know how much Americans like war if they don't have to fight. Why couldn't McCain send an inadaquate force into Colombia for a run at Venezuela. 150,000 are available to be sure. But as I've written a million times Colombians are not quartering American troops even if their president tells them too. And Colombian civilians are better armed than the Iraqi resistance! Venezuela? With all that money and a pretty united country? Forget it.
The only reason that Bush and the war aren't popular is because while US forces are out killing Iraqis 18-to-1, no "victory" is possible. Obama at least is willing to call it a win on points and be done with it. If he lives up to his word.
Fuckin gringos are really great this way. Wherever there's violence, they have to have a rooting interest. They steal 9/11 away from New Yorkers and gift-wrap it for people from Wyoming to worry about. They steal Israel from the Jews and gift wrap it for White Southern Baptists to enjoy.
Sick sadistic culture. But it distracts them from what's missing in their own lives. I don't hate them. More's the pity.
Thanks for the Welcome,
ReplyDeleteKelso's Nuts,
Ya Fuck, I almost got your look down except that I'm 6'3", and stand out like a soar thumb because of that. Your definitely lucky!! I got the accent down good enough that people rattle away, and I sit dumb founded. I still got some learning to do. Hopefully We here won't get caught up in "The Bush Cabal" power grab, but my crystal ball says differently!!
Peace and Freedom