I've been wanting to write about Rickdickulus the wrestler for quite some time.
I've struggled with this post because, quite honestly, he's not that good at wrestling. OUCH!
Yes, I know I should be more supportive of all his activities. I try. Really. I'm usually the one who drives him to his tournaments, which means I'm usually the one that has to listen to him whine when he loses yet another match. "If you hate it so much, why don't you just quit wrestling?" I ask him. "You have so many other talents. Why don't you stick to things you do well?" The standard reply to that is, "Daaaaad! Shut up. You don't know what you're talking about."
Apparently, I don't.
That's because he won his first match of the season today, after going 0-6 in his first two tournaments. He won by scoring an escape (1 point) in the final seconds of the last round to win 3-2. That he lost the next two matches (one by pin) didn't matter. When we got back to the car he said to me "Dad, drive fast so I can upload the video of me onto Youtube." When I asked him why he would want to post videos of him losing he said, "Daaaaad!!! You're such a jerk."
One More Article / Un Altro Articolo
-
Over the years teaching at La Scuola d’Italia NY, I have learned that
children are not just students; they are careful observers of the world,
full of q...
6 months ago
If I had ever told my dad to shut up or not to be a jerk, I would still be peeling parts of me off the wall.
ReplyDeleteWhat PoP said.
ReplyDeleteAnd nice work, Rickdiculous! Tell him he needs to blog about it, his fans await another post.
it only takes one win...i bet that smile was worth every minute of it
ReplyDeleteps -- i also loathed wrestling ----
You must have done something right in that he is determined and doesn't quit after a few failures. Winners may lose but they don't quit. Losers quit and never try again.
ReplyDeletePoP/CDP - My dad was really no different. Talking back was rarely an option. But I don't mind it, particularly since I deserved it.
ReplyDeleteBTW, CDP Rick is on the case. He's already told me his been a bit lax with posting. It's understandable with the busy schedule he keeps.
DCap - You're right about that one win. But, like you, I'd rather he hold the Oscar for Best Picture than NCAA wrestling gold at 165 lbs.
Liberality - Truer words were never spoken.
Congrats Rickdickulus. Love the brute headgear, especially with that angelic face.
ReplyDeleteNice job, Rick! When all else fails, escape! ...Or bite them in the ankle, which ever comes first.
ReplyDeleteHey, us little guys have to stick together, ya know?
Maybe he's wrestling because he thinks you don't want him to wrestle.
ReplyDeleteOppositional, you know?
Of course you know.
Or maybe he doesn't care about winning or losing.
If that's the case, he'd make a great Democrat.
gmb - I dig the Brute gear, too, but if you liked the chapeau, you'll have too see him up close and personal in his singlet.
ReplyDeleteCR - He is a little guy, but he has the heart of a lion, as I suspect that you do, too.
Fairlane - I hear what you're saying, but Rick really does love to wrestle. There's no spite or petulance involved. I just hate to see him cry after he loses a match because he hates losing. Finally, I hope one day that he would be a Great Democrat. You'd vote for him, right?