Tengrain of Mock, Paper, Scissors has this post up on his site and asks his fellow bloggers to post this video and the questions up their sites. I am all to happy to do this.
Tengrain's post is cut and pasted below:
So here’s what the FFF peeps would ask:
- Leaders on the religious right often say that America is a “Christian Nation.” Do you agree with this statement?
- Do you think Houses of Worship should be allowed to endorse political candidates and retain their tax exempt status?
- Do you think public schools should sponsor school prayer or, as a parent, should this choice be left to me?
- Would you support a law that mandates teaching creationism in my child’s public school science classes?
- Do you think my pharmacist should be allowed to deny me doctor-prescribed medications based on his or her religious beliefs?
- Will you respect the rights of those in our diverse communities of faith who deem same-gender marriage to be consistent with their religious creed?
- Should “faith-based” charities that receive public funds be allowed to discriminate against employees or applicants based on religious beliefs?
- Do you think one’s right to disbelieve in God is protected by the same laws that protect someone else’s right to believe?
- Do you think everyone’s religious freedom needs to be protected by what Thomas Jefferson called “a wall of separation” between church and state?
- What should guide our policies on public health and medical research: science or religion?
- Do you think Abstinence-only sex education is working in our public schools?
- Do you think public schools should include religious study, or as a parent, should that be my choice?
- Do you think libraries should censor information?
In addition to these questions, I think I would ask:
So what would you ask?
Consider this a pseudo-meme. Post this video on your blogs and ask the question of your readers, and add your own questions. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to ask the question in the comments here at MPS.
And please give the folks at First Freedom First a visit, and sign the petition. They are doing such good works for all of us. (I know we are a mixed lot at MPS: Christians of all stripes and hues, Jews, some Wiccans, Unitarians, and so many others. We also have a long list of atheists and agnostics, too. FF cuts across all those boundaries.)
Here's what I would ask.
- Should the phrase "under God" be stricken from the Pledge of Allegiance?
- Should "In God We Trust" be stricken from our currency?
- Should one's religious beliefs be used as a test of eligibility to hold elected office?
Please keep this tag going, and visit the FFF site and sign the petition. While I do not believe in God or follow any religion, I would certainly defend your right and freedom to worship as you please.
Thanks for posting this! Done!
ReplyDeleteI just read this at Fran's site and agreed with all her answers there.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I am not a religious person but I respect religious people if they can do the same for me.
AC87/Pop, please make a point to let Tengrain know you've done this. As an atheist, this issue is so incredibly important to me, but I want to be certain that credit is given where credit is due. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks Spartacus....I'm going over to Tengrain's place to get the info. As for Question #2, the rules governing tax-exempt entities already provide that they cannot engage in more than a modicum (i.e., very little) in political activity and keep their tax-preferred status. The problem is that the republican congress went after the IRS for years and with a republican appointee heading the place, well it's unlikely that much will be done until the tide actually turns. Long and short, if the rules were applied fairly, Focus on the Family and similar groups would be in a world o' trouble (like lost status, recharacterization of the donations as non-deductible contributions, etc.). Don't know if it would ever happen, but the rules require it.
ReplyDeleteDCup - It would only work if you were the high priestess running the show. Otherwise, I'll settle for electing Pissed in NYC "El jefe femenino por siempre."
ReplyDeletePiNYC - Why doesn't your explanation surprise me? DCup had a great post up the other day about the Republican penchant to dole out Corporate Welfare. I guess what you're saying is that corporations are the only ones sucking hard on the government teat. Wonders never really do cease.
Spartacus: The religious right has friends in congress who let them get away with murder. In return, they break the rules with impunity to help their congressional friends. The ultimate symbiotic relationship.
ReplyDeleteWell put GMB. You hit the nail on the head. These days religion is the new commodity that sells, but it'll never outsell sex. Larry Craig proved that.
ReplyDelete