An old blogpal of mine once told me that my best posts are when I tell stories of my past. Okay, I'll indulge. After all this "happy dad" crap I've been posting, it's time to go into the Spartacus Way Back machine.
What inspired this entry is a recent post by MauiGirl about the New York City Public Schools Athletic Association's inclusion of Double Dutch as an officially sanctioned sport. Like her, I remember this activity fondly; but only because I was always one of those jackass boys who would try and jump into the moving ropes while my sister and her friends were taking their turns. Hey! What brother wasn't a jackass or an asshat or some kind of an *ass to his sister?
But Mauigirl also laments the fact that these games have lost out to more passive activities like video-game playing, chatting on AIM, and hitting social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace. (Sorry, but those sites don't need any linking here...)
She wrote:
Making something a competitive sport doesn't mean it will result in more kids getting exercise. What happens is they get driven to the site where the sport takes place; parents must provide snacks for their kids and their friends to eat afterward; kids jump for a short period of time and then their round is over. It's not like the old days when a bunch of friends would gather in a seldom-used street and jump rope all afternoon just for the fun of it, and get real exercise.She makes a good point here. Even though my kids get out of the house plenty, it's nowhere near the amount of time I spent outside the house playing games back in the 1970s. And growing up poor in the East Village of Manhattan, you learn to get pretty inventive with the games you play.
Some you've heard of before -- Stickball, Handball, Whiffleball, Red Rover and Spin The Bottle are but a few.A staple of many of the games I played was a pink rubber ball known as the Spaldeen, made by the Spalding®. But spaldeen games are all variations of baseball, so I'll leave those for another post. The games I'm covering here required a great deal of skill, balance, ingenuity, speed, agility, and a tolerance for brutality.
Ah, Let the games begin. Shall we?
Skelsies - I played this game quite a bit in the summer. I lived in Jacob Riis Houses where the skelsie boards like the one on t
he right were painted onto the asphalt yards between buildings. All you need to play is a ketchup bottle or pickle jar cap, and a good eye for angles. The caps were typically filled with melted wax or crayon. The crayon melts were cool because you could make some pretty neat designs with them.The object of the game was to shoot your cap into each succeeding box, the winner being the first to reach box 13. The cap must be completely inside the box before you can shoot to the next one. But the game's not as easy as it looks. For one, you can prevent opponents from reaching a box by knocking them out of the way. The way we used to play at Jacob Riis was if you called "kicksies", you can kick someone's cap across the yard if happened to be near yours after a successfully entering a box. Another challenge was avoiding the trapezoidal areas around box 13. Those were the penalty boxes. Land in there with your cap and you lose a turn. We didn't use numbers in our boxes. As I recall, you had to wait a turn or two before you can shoot out of the trapezoid, or you can resume playing if someone was stupid enough to knock you out of one.
Kick The Can - I have a special place in my heart for this game because of kid I knew named Edgardo who was always "it." This game is very similar to hide-and-go-seek except that it's played with a beer or soda can. The game starts w
ith everyone rushing to find a can; the last one to find a can (usually Edgardo) was "it." The first person to find a can was given the honor of being the first to kick or toss the can far enough away for the rest of the group to hide while the "it" person retrieves the can. The "it" kid would then try to find the players who were hiding. Okay, you can stop reading here if you're not into brutal acts of violence committed in the name of fun. The next two games make scenes from Los Olvidados look tame.


That's all I got for tonight kids. There are more games I played as a kid. These just happened to be the ones I remember best. I would love to hear about your kid games stories.
(h/t to Mauigirl and my special blog friend...)





Wait. There was a time before video games?
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if the big crash in the early 80s wasn't the best thing. "These games suck! Let's go outside!"
I've never heard of any of these save kick the can. Must be some Noo Yawk gig. ;-)
We used to play tons of football and hoops until the cop station turned the basketball court next to the park into additional parking. Of course, the park is now housing.
Nah, Randal, you were playing D&D, weren't you?
ReplyDeleteNice post, Sman.
Shit&stuff....good thing I did not grow up in the East Village....
ReplyDelete...there is a extremely good chance I would not have survived, to say nothing of 'growing-up'
(not that I have grown up, mind you!)
Randal - don't get me wrong. We played tons of football, baseball, basketball, etc... In fact, add any sport with a -ball suffix and we played it. (Shut it Anon!!!). The games I posted here are quite possibly unique to the five boroughs that form Greater New York, but I can't help but think that there are some games in other parts of this country that are unique to those parts.
ReplyDeleteAnon - You're a pip. I bet Randal was a D&D guy, too. Hee hee.
Okjimm - growing up in the East Village was not as rough as it seems. Sometimes my hyperbole flares up and like a bad case of herpes or something and surfaces in posts like these. It's hard, but I live with it. I think you would have fit right into our nabe with no problem. Hey, that other Wisconsin son can do it, so can you. And don't forget, you have an open invitation to a night of beer imbibing at the Ginger Man if you ever come this way.
The games we played here on Long Island were not quite as painful as the games you described. We used to play steal the bacon, red rover, and ringoleveo(which the kids now call manhunt). Any game which had a leather belt whipping involved would have sent me running into the house to read a new book or watch the Brady Bunch!! You city kids always did walk on the wild side.
ReplyDeleteWe played hide and seek, hopscotch, four square, red-rover, tether ball, more hide and seek - we had a huge neighborhood, so that was fun. Dodgeball. Street softball. We were outdoors all summer long.
ReplyDeleteSPARTACUS: I don't know why this is but we called the game "Skellies" and "Johnny-On-A-Pony".
ReplyDeleteThe best game with a spauldeen was STOOPBALL because it took a lot practice to be able to catch edges (the only way to "hit" a Home Run) and was really good at developing control.
[for all Non-New Yorkers, Jonathan Lethem's second novel has chapter upon chapter about Stoopball and does a great job of explaining how important this game was]
The girls were intensely good at Double-Dutch, Hop-Scotch and Jacks.
We played a lot of cards and there really was only ONE game: SPADES. This is like a simplified bridge in which Spades are always trump and the penalties for being set in a contract were really high. A hard rap on the knuckles for you and your partner with the decked slanted to cut. For getting set twice in a row -- a "BOSTON" -- you and your partner would each get hit on the knuckles with the full pack of cards slanted, 2x each for the total number of tricks you failed both contracts by.
If you bid and made two contracts in a row the other team would have to buy you $3 worth of candy and snacks.
Hey, Bud..... invitation noted. I will lift one for you in just a bit!
ReplyDeleteWe played games like, chase the possum out of the garage and who can get closest to the skunk without getting sprayed. Good clean fun, heh.
ReplyDeleteskelsies - OMFG -- i completely forgot about that game
ReplyDeletei used to make my mother save all the bottle caps...
that is a real Noo Yawk game --- i played in the school yard of PS 115 in queens
of course there were the endless baseball card games (i had all 60s card which my mother so kindly threw in the garbage)
we did play dodgeball and red rover and like kelso said -- stoop ball, tho in suburban queens there were not many stoops. but you had to have a pink Spalding -- nothing else would do
my father tried to teach my handball since he played that all the time when he grew up on Ave A (right near you pal!) but it hurt my hand way too much, plus i was was to uncoordinated for it
Skippy, No I can't imagine my games being played on Verbena Avenue, but I forgot all about steal the bacon. We played that just as much Hot Peas and Butter. I wish I had remembered it. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWe were outdoors all summer long.
Diva, now there's a phrase I haven't heard in years. Similar to you, our housing project was huge. Lots of activities and mischief to get into or out of doors and into.
Kelso, the funny thing about our city games is that the names change as you go from nabe to nabe, but the rules are essentially the same. Por ejemplo, stoop ball for you was off the point for us because the of bullnose bricks at the bottom of every NYCHA building erected in the 1940s. We used to throw the spaldeen again them and play it essentially like baseball.
As for Spades, that game was KNUCKLES by us, and every bit as nasty as hot peas and butter, if not more.
DCap, I knew one of my NY blogpals would have a visceral response. Thanks for being that guy. ha ha. Wasn't skelsies a hoot? Did you melt the wax into the cap?
Yeah...when I moved to Queens in the late 70s, I was a bit disappointed with how differently games were played. We played handball some where I grew up, but you had to go to a public park to play against one of those ginormous walls. By me, we played "chinese" handball where you slapped at the ball on a bounce.
Bradda, I take it you grew up on a farm or in a rural place. Chase the possum? The closest "nature game" we played was scaring off the stray dogs in the nabe. Sometimes, they weren't scared off and you had to run.... and fast.
okjimmm, thanks for lifting one up for me. I did the same for you. :^)
Wow- I hadn't heard of half of those games for some reason. Maybe they were more popular in NY? I had heard of "kick the can" but I wasn't aware of the rules. I grew up with four brothers and a neighborhood full of kids so we were outside all day, until the streetlights were turned on, that was the rule. In the evening after dinner, though, a bunch of the parents in the neighborhood would congregate on our front porch (we had a huge house with a big front porch). While they were all there talking, the kids were running all over our yard, chasing fireflies or playing tag.
ReplyDeleteOur bikes were the big thing, we were out on them all day and would ride miles from home. Those were the days when you didn't have to put a GPS chip in your kid for fear of them getting kidnapped.
Thanks for the memories. You and mauigirl really gave me the opportunity to think about the fun I had when I was a kid. I mentioned on her blog that I live in a neighborhood with a grade school just one block away and a junior high that is two blocks away and there's not a kid to be seen playing outside in the summer. I don't get it.
Oh...a really great memory of mine was when the ice cream truck broke down in front of our house and the guy gave us all the free ice cream we could eat because the refrigerator shut down and it was all melting. Man, that was like manna from heaven on a hot summer day. It was like winning the lotto...I can still think of how excited all of us were. Sigh...I miss being a kid.
ReplyDeleteME, yes, I believe some of these games have their origins in New York and never made it West past the Hudson River. Thanks for sharing the memories of your childhood. I was one on five boys and ...wait for it...ONE sister. We didn't necessarily have a darkness rule, but a time rule -- 9PM. That's when my Dad would call us up from our fifth floor window to pray the rosary....
ReplyDeleteBTW...I loved the ice cream story.. Manna from heaven indeed.
Good grief, I have never heard of any of that stuff. Fortunately.
ReplyDeleteATTENTION ALL CITY KIDS! GO TO THIS LINK AND BE PREPARED TO BURST OUT IN TEARS FOR THE MEMORIES!
ReplyDeleteJeez, parents leaning out the window calling you up for dinner. 9pm or a little later in summer. 7pm in winter.
If I could only find a youtube of the sound of the operas the old Italian ladies would play on Saturday and Sunday mornings out the window after Church!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXL90KXPHQ
Make mine a large vanilla in a cup with strawberry sauce!
ReplyDeleteAh, c'mon Scarlet. You would have been killer-diller at these games. But I'll admit, hot-peas-and-butter is a game best never played again...
ReplyDeleteOh man, Kelso, now you're really taking me down memory lane. Even though the Mr. Softee trucks still come by my house at least once a day, the jingle does not have the same effect now as it did when I was a kid. For the uninitiated, think of Eddie Murphy's comedy bit about chasing the ice cream truck after hearing that jingle... ICE CREAM!!!!!
How did I miss this til now? Like Scarlet, I hadn't heard of most of them and the only ones I did might have come from memories of watching 'The Little Rascals'. Growing up in the countryside north of Toronto there were fewer kids once the immigrant families from England, Scotland etc started moving to the city and distant suburbs. I ran around by myself a lot.
ReplyDeleteSpartacus: I remember playing a game with bottle caps, but it didn't have a name. We would shoot them towards a wall and whoever landed closest won. That said, I grew up in a small city until I was about 4 years old (Camden, NJ, which thereafter until the present is one of the poorest cities in the US, but which was a thriving city before the advent of the burbs). Ah, memories. After we moved to the suburbs (at 5 years old), it was football and kick ball. It was something.
ReplyDeleteSusan, you're having never heard of these games makes it all the more worthwhile for me to write about them. I've had some rough moments growing up, but playing these games, with the friends I had, made for a pretty happy childhood.
ReplyDeletePiNYC, isn't amazing how kids figure out a way to play, and, in essence, interact? Regardless of place or time, kids figure out a way to play...something.
Great post, Spartacus - I'm glad my post inspired such a wonderful walk down memory lane. I had heard of kick the can but actually hadn't realized how it was played before. The others are new to me! Kids really had a lot of great outdoor games back in the old days - and they were very creative! Thanks for the link!
ReplyDeleteMauigirl, I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you for the inspiration. It's been a while since I did one of my past life posts. Reading your post brought those memories back to life. Agan...thanks.
ReplyDeleteHow about boxball 2-4 players using the squares on the sidewalk & a spaldeen. It was like sidewalk ping pong
ReplyDeleteGood one Anon... I played that game, too, but not nearly as often as I listed in this post. Thanks for sharing your memory.
ReplyDelete