Friday, July 11, 2008

Stepping Up For Skippy

I was all set for a quite evening last night.

I had no races to run. No guitar lessons to take. No one to drive to this friend's or that friend's house. No test to study for. Nothing.

That is until Skippy called to tell me that she was headed for the dentist. She had been complaining about a toothache for the last few days which made her mouth and face sore. Being the smartass I am, I suggested that her pain may be because she talks too much. Oh, wait, that's my problem....

It turns out that Skippy's problem was much worse than she thought. She called me at work to tell me that she got an emergency appointment with our dentist and that it was at 5:15 p.m. The nerve underneath her tooth was infected and the it had to be pulled.

Me: So what are we going to do about dinner for the kids?

Skippy: I shouldn't be long. I'll make it when I get back.

Me: Don't be silly. What were you planning to make.

Skippy: Garlic pasta.

Me: I can take care of that. Leave me the instructions and dinner will be ready by the time you come home.

Skippy: You would do that?

Me: Sure. Why not?

Famous last words. I've always known that that the job of "mom" is no easy task, but I had forgotten just how hard is that task. Last night, the rust in my ability to play the role showed.

Before you beat me up about making an apparently, sexist remark about the roles of moms and dads. Please understand that our family structure is quite anachronistic. Skippy handles much of the day-to-day load of the household tasks like cooking and doing laundry, while I take care of things like fixing fences, painting basements, car maintenance...etc... It's just how things work best in our 6-member unit most of the time. I help out with her self-assigned tasks and she helps me with mine. Noodle, Zeb and Rick also pitch in by doing their daily chores of tidying up the kitchen, bathrooms and basement.



Here's the lazy one in our house. Eat, sleep, shit and bark at postal workers. What a life! I digress...







My offer to cook dinner last night was sincere, despite the fact that I hardly ever cook. On occassion, I'll fix something for myself. But sandwiches and scrambled eggs don't count, do they? I'm just not that into it.

I am fascinated by those who can cook and create culinary works of art out of any ingredient available. The Cunning Runt comes to mind at this point. The man is a genius in the kitchen and has pictures to prove it.

Me? I can barely follow a recipe, and drove Skippy nuts with my incessant phone calls on how to mix ingredients and the location of important utensils. Here's a partial transcript of our 6:30PM conversation:

Me: Uh...how much olive oil do I use to brown the garlic?

Skippy: Oh, you think I measure?

Me: What do I use to do this part?

Skippy: C'mon man. Use your imagination. My mouth is killing me and I'm still waiting to see the oral surgeon.

Click!

You get the idea folks. I'm clueless in the kitchen. I admit it. By the time it was all over I had yelled at Rick for only wanting plain pasta, and at Zeb for wanting his without garlic in it. (There are other ingredients added -- grilled chicken, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes are in this concoction.) Thankfully, Noodle was hanging with her BFF, Rachel at her house, so she was spared my wrath.

My patience wore so thin that by the time it was all said and done, I had placed at least five calls to Skippy and swore at my boys at least 10 times, all of which ended with: "What do you think this is? A fucking restaurant?"

When Skippy finally returned home, I barely showed any interest in her condition. That made her cry.

"Oh shit," I thought. "I've done it now."

That's when I grabbed the dog's leash and harness and took him for a walk around the park. It was as much a therapeutic walk for me as it was a strategy session on what to say to her when I returned, starting with an "I'm sorry."

I got home 30 minutes later, gave her a big hug and kiss, apologized profusely for my actions. I then took her out to Friendly's for one of her favorite treats -- a vanilla/chocolate swirl sundae with whipped cream. I apologized again after we returned home. We ate our ice cream in our living room and talked about what happened. She accepted my apology reminding me that I am more than capable of managing the house in her absence. Her point? The drama was unnecessary. Point taken.

Before I close this, though...I need to say one more thing:

Skippy, I'm sorry I went off the deep end last night. You were the one suffering here. Not me. All I needed to do was step up and cook some dinner. I should have just handled things as best I could and not bother you as I did. I should have stepped up and done what other fathers in my placed the world over do on a daily basis.

If anything, days like this show how much I need you and how much the kids need you. We love you and, while we would manage in your absence, we are quite lost without you. There is nothing in the world we would not do for you.

Love.... Spartacus





Isn't she a beauty? I think so. Pick on me if you must. I deserve it. But, please, if you leave a comment, show Skippy some love. She's hurting now and could use a hug or two.

18 comments:

  1. We all send her more ice cream, even if the virtual isn't as delicious as the real.

    Come on, sandwiches and scrambled eggs do count! And don't forget hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...real ice cream is much funnier, but I know Skippy appreciates the sentiment. She was also agree with you that hot dogs (grilled, boiled or sauteed) count, too. Scrambled eggs and sandwiches? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apology accepted. At least you get to eat solid food. The friendly's ice cream made me feel better but the hugs and kisses from you are the best medicine of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks baby! You're the best! Anytime on the ice cream, hugs and kisses. But I think we should take this indoors before someone yells "get a room!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skippy, I'm terribly sorry he was being a beast, you deserve far better than that and if you just hang up on them when they're being drama queens, sometimes they stop. Also, I hope your tooth, or lack of it, feels much better and that you never have to do this again (and he's right, you're gorgeous).

    Spartacus - hahahahahahah. OK, I'm sorry but from my perspective that's funny as hell. Yes, I do the cooking in my household and have to plan most of it and prep most of it Sundays so that when I get home at 6:45 or 7 I can have the five of us fed before 8. And I don't measure either, haven't a clue how that's done. I do, however, have a great deal of sympathy for people suddenly finding themselves in unexpected domestic situations. The week I spent in the hospital left Nomans by himself with three girls (nanny is NOT much help), all the meals and scheduling to be handled in addition to completely freaking out over the involuntary incarceration of his wife and he came completely unhinged. I cried too. We got past it. It's these things that make us understand ourselves and the people we love. Hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Skippy....(which is my favorite peanut butter, which is what god invented on the eighth day) Sorry about the Dentist thingeee..been there myself....no fun.

    Spartacus...
    1) scrambled egg sandwich. they are a meal ANYTIME.

    2) Frugal Gourmet. Pick up one of his cook-books. Easy stuff.

    Gees, though, in your last post comments you mentioned Marc Travanti.... and the name REALLY rings a bell. I checked out his website and the dude DID go to college at a State U about a 100 miles from where I went to school in Wisconsin.....and, though I am not an artist, I did hang out with the 'arty' crowd (I did theater and debate). Kids at both schools would travel back and forth to party&stuff, and it was roughly the same time period. I can't place a face....but there is a possiblity that I have met him. Weird.

    ...learn to be a nice boy and try cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and I added you to my blog roll. Stop by anytime....Skippy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skippy, here's a hug from a strange little man wearing very dirty clothes (gardening, you know.) Get better, and make Spartacus cook at least three times a week.

    And Spart, COOK, DUDE!!! Don'tcha like to eat, or what??

    If you love to eat, you can cook. Cook with your tongue. Pay attention to every bite you eat, what it is, how it tastes, what other flavors are present and how they interact. All it costs is a little time, slowing meals down enough to experience each bite individually.

    When you know your food like that, cooking it comes out of you, and it gets easy. And fun, and delicious!

    Not that I don't make occasional unpalatable mistakes (Chili Con Codfish comes to mind,) they just don't happen so often.

    And I don't blog about them! :lol:

    Thanks for the link, man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Give Skippy a milkshake, man, and tell her that I admire her. Ouch!

    Spartacus, I'm gonna have to give you cooking lessons sometime. I've avoided doing too much of that on MPS (I don't want to step into the Cunning Runt's gig), but cooking is really fun and creative. Just leave your bad ol' engineering self behind, it is not an exact science (until you start to get into baking, and even that is really not all that precise)...

    (And I promise I will leave my semi-professional training behind. This won't be restaurant cooking.)

    Regards,

    'Grain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spartacus: Here's an easy recipe for pasta with roasted cauliflower (and yes, it's excellent): clean cauliflower, break into small florets, throw into a baking pan (set oven to 350 degrees), pour in enough olive oil to lightly coat the cauliflower, throw in a dash of salt and pepper, bake for 20 minutes then add garlic (sliced or whole cloves), bake for another 15 minutes or so (the cauliflower should be carmelizing..i.e., getting brown/golden, not black), put water on for pasta, sprinkle the cauliflower with a mixture of grated parmagiana cheese and bread crumbs. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and throw it into the pan with the cauliflower. Serve.

    It's easy and delicious.

    I hope Skippy is feeling better and you all have a pain-free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alecto - in hindsight it is funny and it's the humor of it all that helped us get through the drama. Thanks.

    okjimm - We had egg sandwiches (with bacon) for breakfast this morning. We didn't make them, but we took a nice four block walk (holding hands) to our deli to pick them up. I paid. :~)

    As for Travanti, I'm almost positive you know him now. I got to know Marc and Margaret through my brother Joe. He was Marc's roommate in NYC back then and they've been friends since. Marc is also my karate sensei, whose sensei was William Foster, also from Kenosha, WI. I haven't studied karate with Marc in nearly nine years, but I still feel I owe him a debt of gratitude for all I've learned.

    ..And thanks for the blogroll placement. Check out mine when you get the chance.

    CR - It's been a while, hasn't it? You're welcome for the link. I could not help but think of you as I was going through my culinary ordeal. I tried to channel your chi as I was browning the garlic in olive oil. It helped and it tasted pretty good, too. ...oh yeah, I promise to do alot more cooking in the coming days and weeks. If only to release all the tension I build up in the day.

    'Grain - there's a good chance I'll be headed back to SF area on business. I'll tell you what -- if I make it out there, I'll look you up for that cooking lesson. Or we could just go out somewhere and enjoy a meal we didn't cook.

    PiNYC - I cut and pasted your comment into a Word document. I'm going to try it out, take a picture and post it when I get the chance. I think it's time to get Spartacus's inner gourmet to come out.

    All - Just spoke to Skippy. She'll be responding to your comments soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skippy, I hope you're feeling better today. Your smile is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alecto- thanks I'm feeling much better now. And did hang up on spartacus when he placed his 7th call to me.

    okjimm- skippy is also my favorite peanut butter. I only like the creamy kind, not the crunchy.

    CR- Thanks for the hug. Maybe spartacus SHOULD start to cook more often.

    Tengrain- The ice cream from sparty hit the spot. Hopefully this is the last tooth extraction I have to endure.

    PiNYC- can't wait for him to try out the recipe. And if he does all the cooking and preparing I will be more than happy to do all the cleaning up afterwards.

    Susan- Thanks not that that pesky wisdom tooth is gone I am starting to feel much better.

    To all - Thanks for all your good wishes. I am going to go pace now because spartacus just took noodle out driving for the very first time since she got her permit. I think I feel a headache coming on

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey,

    If there is anymore not so drastic emergency, but expensive dental work give me a line on my blog. I had what was estimated at $2,500 in the States done in La Antigua, Guatemala for $250.

    I understand your along way away, and you might have dental insurance; in which case this would be pointless, but the dentists I know there have the most advanced equipment I've ever seen. Including if you choose a video monitors of what they are doing in your mouth. I chose to look, and won't make that choice again!

    I want to be a dog, petted, pooped, walked, fed, fed table scraps from kids. Ah, a dogs life is good!

    Peace and Freedom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Skip: Here's a hug from a small man from NYC who has an accent like a relative of yours (your brother?) and a complexion and hair color roughly the same as Spartacus's. I'm wearing Levi's and a Balbina Herrera "Torrijista Para Siempre" Presidenta 2009 gray t-shirt and Tommy Hilfiger sandals.

    I've had the same procedure underneath a lower-left molar. Urgh. I remember two LONG sessions in the chair. Having a very sore jaw for a few weeks, but I don't remember what I ate. Probably a lot of soups and pasta without chewy stuff. I don't remember it being all that painful because they gave me a lot of anaesthetic in the dentist's office and they'd taken the nerve out during the first session. Just two big bothers.

    But don't turn down the Vicodin if the dentist offers it, by all that's good and holy!

    Spartacus: I like the sound of the Cauliflower pasta. If you start with Barrilla or DeCeccho pasta and Barilla sauce and follow the recipes on the side of pasta box, you can't go too wrong.

    Other suggestions: THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL. A WOK. A RICE COOKER.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skippy: The beauty with throwing the pasta into the baking pan with the cauliflower is that there is only one pan, one pot and a colander to clean. Whole thing should take 45 minutes to eat. And if you have leftovers, it tastes better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AHB - Thanks for the suggestion, man. But given airline ticket costs, it'll probably cost us $2,500, possibly more, to get to Guatemala. Anyway, if we break the bank and head your way, I can guarantee the trip won't be for orthodontic work.

    Kelso - Dude you are my brother. Was that ever a question? I told Eileen about your Vicadin suggestion. She won't take 'em. "Motrin" she says "works just fine."

    Oh and BTW...I did use a GF grill to grill the chicken on the pasta.

    PiNYC - that's my kind of recipe. Thanks for sharing it. Skippy and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I checked to Vancouver, B.C., and it was an $800 ticket with the tax.

    You got exactly what I'm saying. Vacation, and minor procedures for the same price of only the work in the States!

    Peace and Freedom

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...