Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Phanysthat... She Thinks This Blog is Fabulous...

Thanks Susan.

I humbly accept.

But getting a a blog award is not like getting TARP money and squandering the cash on things like Christmas bonuses, Super Bowl parties and naming rights to baseball stadiums. No siree Bob. Uh uh.




This award comes with strings attached.





No, not these kind of strings.






But the five you see below. You see, in order to complete this transaction, I have to dish about five addictions:

1. My journals. I write something everyday... and I mean everyday. If it's not here on my blog, then it's in my red, hard-cover journals. This is 25 year I've been keeping a journal. I rarely ever go back and read them. The time that I have made me cringe at either the thought I expressed, the way I expressed it or both.

2. Dunkin Donuts Coffee. Okay. I know caffeine is a drug and, therefore, addictive. I get that. But it tastes so much better than a cup of that over-hyped crap from Starbucks. And not only that, when you ask for a regular coffee (with milk and two sugars), you get a regular cup of fucking coffee and not some queer look from a barrista who keeps asking you if you want a latte. Full disclosure. I became hooked on Cafe Bustello con leche as a kid; essentially a latte.

3. Text messaging. I love it. I know that it's no substitute for human contact, but sometimes phone conversations can be quite annoying, especially when you have to endure a full hour of someone yakking about their bunyon surgery. However, I'm well aware that's not a smart thing to do while driving...

4. Walking. Give me a choice between riding in a cab or walking to a destination a mile away and I'll walk. Give me a warm Spring evening shrouded in fog and I am out there. My fondess for walking was born out of necessity. As a teenager, in order to save money, I'd pass on taking the bus and walk where I needed to go. Over time, walking became a way to release my tensions and attain a quiet respite from a cacaphonous world where I could hear myself think.

5. Books. I'll read just about anything that's bound if it catches my fancy, including the works of the matriarch of all things right-wing, Ayn Rand. There are many writers I admire, not the least of which is Pete Hammil. But over the years, my tastes were forged by such greats as John Milton, William Butler Yeats, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Irving and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Okay... here are my five recipients

Randal Graves
Okjimm
Pissed in NYC
Mauigirl
Tengrain

17 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on books. One of these days we are going to have to move to a bigger house just for the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh me too - I will actually pile books on the floor, eventually they become an end table

    your blog is fabulous!

    I did your photo tag last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revenge is a dish best served via a reciprocal meme tag, huh. Rand? How far have you gotten? I'm not even talking about her worldview, but I can't stand her writing.

    I've only intermittently kept journals of any sort, but I've thought about how I thought about something at a given point in time and yeah, there are certainly cringe-worthy moments. "Man, was I THAT dumb?" ;-)

    I'm with you on the walking. With or without tunes, though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five Addictions? Only five? Legal ones? Ones that draw 5-10 in Fed Court, or just misdemeanor ones?

    Boy, I dunno, kiddo. Lemmee see whatza I can do here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, tomorrow I'll try. Tonight...time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting list. I've kept a journal for the past 7 years where I allow myself two pages per month mostly to chronicle the books I've read and the presents sent as well as odd thoughts. There's a section between every year to list movies we've watched.

    I like Dunkin Donuts coffee too when I can't have my own (ie, traveling) and really, really prefer walking for the same reasons you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PoP... I don't think I can live in a house without books in it. I say the more space for books the better.

    Oh thank you Dianne... and thanks for doing the meme. And regarding the books... see my comment to PoP. ;)

    Randal, please don't think poorly of me, but I've actually went through several of her books. And I agree, her style is laboriously atrocious. Sadism would explain how I did it.

    As for writing the journals, I made need to post about that. I rarely go back and read what I write because it is quite cringe-worthy factually and stylistically.

    And, I walk without tunes. I like the ambient sounds of my neighborhood in the summer where you can hear all sorts of shit coming from opened windows. ;)

    OK..jimmy.. please try and keep them legal. I did. I don't need the Obama government coming after me and spiriting me away to some foreign land using some (still legal) method of rendition. Go for it, man. I'm waiting with bated breath.

    PiNYC.. thanks for trying. But the point of this post was not to tag you with a meme, but to recognize your blog. Seriously. I dig it. Alot.

    Susan... thank you for the award.. (well thank Crow for me). Like I told okjimm.. these are the five clean addictions. ;) My journals are no holds barred. Writing them is what's kept me sane and functional all these years. At least I like to think so. As for DD... I'm writing this at 1:42PM EST. I'll be out the door in 10 for a small cup with skim milk and a half teaspoon of sugar. It's 24°F out now. That's how addicted I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohhhh my I read your italian comment it's so sweet, I almost shed a tear...:) great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shameless flatterer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am gonna walk a book on coffee over to you next time we meet up - at Starbucks.

    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks Spartacus! I have a few addictions I'll be able to blog about! Some are the same as yours (I've always been a huge bookworm - have a pile of books by my bed at all times). This will be a fun meme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IB.. Your Welcome. Like Pissed in NYC said -- Sono uno spudorato flatterer.

    PiNYC -- what I told the Italian Bird. ;)

    DCap.. stop that Starbucks claptrap. We'll be standing at a counter sipping a regular joe trading subversive terrorist secrets.

    MG.. don't we all have some? Books can be very addicting, but not like walks and D&D coffee. Now go write about them you fabulous blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not realize you tagged me. Generally I don't do memes, but I might do this one. I think you hit a lot of mine already.

    Regards,

    Tengrain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah... Ten. I didn't go out an advertise this tag. It was really more an award. A way to recognize and pimp some of my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn right it's not a TARP bailout. For everything that you do here, I'd expect you to be able to retire to Vegas and get comped for the rest of your natural life!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks K. I'll take all the validation I can get right now.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...